Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1980-1982 - Various UMRK outtakes 46.58 (walk)[-IC]
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased -> Archived FZ Outtakes/Unreleased
DL-List
Complete: [ 300 ]
walk
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2005-09-19 15:02   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa
1980-1982
Various UMRK outtakes

Available Recordings, according JN:
http://home.swipnet.se/fzshows/FZUnreleased.htm
Sound is about A on all of these.

Source: 46:58 (42:46+4:12) min, A/A-
Lineage: diverse > ? > traded CDR > EAC (secure mode) > wav Audition 1.5 (changed order, silent parts and gaps removed, retracked) > shntool > flac frontend (lvl 7) & CDR
Taped by: N/A
Transfered by: N/A
Transfered: N/A
Edited by: walk
File Size: 304 MB (FLAC)

Band:
diverse

Setlist:
01 Mo's Vacation - (4:06) 7 min Studio, rock group + layers of clarinet overdubs.
°°° missing 02 Teenage Wind - 4 min, With FZ/Ike Willis on vocals.
°°° missing 03 Society Pages - 4 min

04 Sexual Harassment In The Workplace - (5:44) 6 min Unedited solo, 2+ min longer than on Guitar.
05 Frogs With Dirty Little Lips - (2:21) 2½ min, Different mix than on Them Or Us.
°°° missing 06 Dangerous Kitchen - 7 min, w/ Lisa Popeil, Santa Monica, 12/11/81 #2
07 Sinister Footwear - (8:20) 9 min, Baltimore 11/15/81 #2, partially same as on Them Or Us.
08 Truck Driver Divorce - (9:15) 10 min, Unknown date/location
09 What's New In Baltimore? - (5:07) 7 min, Baltimore 11/15/81 #2
10 We're Turning Again - (4:51) 5 min, Studio, w/ Ike Willis on Thingfish vocals. Different mix than on Have I Offended Someone
11 Nig Biz - (3:06) 3 min, YCDTOSA #3 version but different ending)

Bonus:
811127 - Easy Meat solo remix (4:12)
pbuzby says: This is a studio remix of the solo from Easy Meat, Chicago 11-27-81 (second show).

Notes:
the original CDR i got had a different order of the tracks, i changed this to fit JN's list;
but i changed JN's order of Sinister Footwear/What's New In Baltimore?/Truck Driver Divorce to Sinister Footwear/Truck Driver Divorce/What's New In Baltimore?, since i think Truck Driver Divorce fits perfect after Sinister Footwear, which indicates they are from the same show

abbreviations:
tf = tapeflip
[ = cut at the end
] = cut at the beginning
][ = cut/flaw in the track
~ = fading in/out or connects two or more tracks played like one (medley)
-IC = incomplete
& = added from dif source, complete or partly
°°° = walk's notes

credits:
thanks to P for the CDR

out of the zappateers vault
a walk seed
enjoy !!!

Last edited by walk on 2006-01-12 22:00; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-09-19 15:56   [Quote] 
Great. Thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:01   [Quote] 
Danke schön D Wink

A little reflection:
As this is various outtakes, i really can't see that it makes sense numbering the files and saying that some are missing?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
walk
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:14   [Quote] 
bitte schön

well, its easier to compare with JN's list this way, and of course i want them all, and i want to know whats missing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:21   [Quote] 
walk wrote:
bitte schön

well, its easier to compare with JN's list this way, and of course i want them all, and i want to know whats missing

I'd say you're such a wise guy Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
jimshoes
usa.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:29   [Quote] 
(crossposted from 'samples and fills' forum topic)

I think have found out what the unusual 'mo and herb' is on this tape. David Ocker talks about it in his famous 'internet interview'

Quote:
Frank started Mo 'n Herb's Vacation because I asked him to write a *solo* clarinet piece. He was dubious about the idea, but he did it - eventually it was called "Mo's Vacation" but he didn't like it so he added a simultaneous drum solo called "Herb's Vacation". He still wasn't happy so he added 3 more clarinets and 4 bassoons, bass and a few other audio events. (This is what John Steinmetz and I were recording at Frank's studio) I guess it was still not big enough so he added two more movements for huge orchestra - becoming the "Mo 'n Herb's Vacation" on the LSO album.

so, it seems that it is an unfinished "Mo and Herb's Vacation", before the final 'huge orchestra' parts were written. But it is David Ocker on clarinet and John Steinmetz on bassoon. No synclavier. "Mo's Vacation" seems to be the title of the clarinet-only version.

the full interview is here: (a very interesting read) http://users.cableaz.com/~lantz/pages/ocker.html

thanks for seeding this! bowdown bowdown bowdown
 [Profile]  [PM] 
walk
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:31   [Quote] 
sage wise and shaky Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Huck
Poster
russia.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:47   [Quote] 
Thanks walk.

walk
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2005-09-19 16:54   [Quote] 
jimshoes wrote:

I think have found out what the unusual 'mo and herb' is on this tape. David Ocker talks about it in his famous 'internet interview'

Quote:
Frank started Mo 'n Herb's Vacation because I asked him to write a *solo* clarinet piece. He was dubious about the idea, but he did it - eventually it was called "Mo's Vacation" but he didn't like it so he added a simultaneous drum solo called "Herb's Vacation". He still wasn't happy so he added 3 more clarinets and 4 bassoons, bass and a few other audio events. (This is what John Steinmetz and I were recording at Frank's studio) I guess it was still not big enough so he added two more movements for huge orchestra - becoming the "Mo 'n Herb's Vacation" on the LSO album.

so, it seems that it is an unfinished "Mo and Herb's Vacation", before the final 'huge orchestra' parts were written. But it is David Ocker on clarinet and John Steinmetz on bassoon. No synclavier. "Mo's Vacation" seems to be the title of the clarinet-only version.

the full interview is here: (a very interesting read) http://users.cableaz.com/~lantz/pages/ocker.html

thx a lot for this information Jim, i didnt know this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-09-19 16:58   [Quote] 
jimshoes wrote:

Quote:

very interesting, jimshoes, I didn't know that. Actually, what do I know about fz's music? Pfff, peanuts!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2005-09-19 17:04   [Quote] 
Thank you and thank you very much.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Clyde200
usa.gif
Post 2005-09-19 18:35   [Quote] 
Thanks Walk.

[Profile]  [PM] 
Hasi
Power Poster
austria.gif
Post 2005-09-19 21:39   [Quote] 
Thank You !!!!

Hasi

www.theimpossiblefestival.com
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-09-19 22:25   [Quote] 
Thank you Walk, great seed thumbsup
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2005-09-19 23:34   [Quote] 
A few notes on this compilation: Sexual Harassment is from 12/12/81 #2. Basic track of Frogs is from 12/11/81 #1. Sinister Footwear is from multiple dates - intro is from 11/15/81 #1, solo is from 11/17/81. Solo in Truck Driver Divorce is from Zoot Allures on 11/17/81. Baltimore is also from multiple dates - Tommy's synth solo is from 12/10/81 and the guitar solo is partly from 11/15 #2 and partly from 11/21/81.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 4 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased -> Archived FZ Outtakes/Unreleased All times are GMT

Jump to: