Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Album for today. (V2.0)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 56, 57, 58  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
StrokeTheBoots
Power Poster
Post 2019-07-17 10:18   [Quote] 
uncle max wrote:
Jethro Tull Day:

"A Passion Play" is my favourite Tull-album:-)

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2019-07-17 12:38   [Quote] 
For me, none beats "Bursting Out", but I remember when checking out 60s/70s Tull several months ago that Passion Play surprised me in a good way.

today:

Foyer des Arts: Von Bullerbü nach Babylon (1982)

I only like 5 songs here, but those are among my personal classics.

This track has basically zero musical content, but is interesting to follow anyway (+ has funny lyrics):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAr1IMiP6A

uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-07-18 06:36   [Quote] 
StrokeTheBoots wrote:
uncle max wrote:
Jethro Tull Day:

"A Passion Play" is my favourite Tull-album:-)

I've always thought it was a very good album.
But in the old days (when Lester Bangs & co. were preaching against prog and you were probably still floating around Smile ) they could have killed you for saying that.
Now, in retrospective, maybe we can see things in another way.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-07-18 11:07   [Quote] 
pre-order your Jethro Tull book here:

https://jethrotullbook.com/

not that I am going to buy one.

and now...another classic from:::

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994)

more:

I am upset as I do not know what Bazbo is listening to today. My daily surfing is incomplete. Wish he just stayed home.

...scored the Nathan Davis 2fer at a (admittedly less than) reasonable price:

Happy Girl / The Hip Walk (both 1965)

but I love them. money well spent.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-07-21 01:10   [Quote] 
uncle max wrote:

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon

Side One sounds like a replica of KC's first album's side one:
Pictures Of A City > 21st Century Schizoid Man
Cadence & Cascade > I Talk To The Wind
In The Wake Of Poseidon > Epitaph

The Title Track is beeeeaaaauuutiful going even beyond Epitaph and Greg Lake hits a career highlight with his performance here, I think.

PS
I agree on Supertramp's Crime Of The Century being a good one

I straight up agree with the career highlight observation... And he has a lot of those. There are a few solos that blow my mind on wax -- Fripp on "Baby's On Fire" comes to mind -- And the funny part is, I think if you asked him, if he even remembered, he would probably remark that the solo was recorded off the cuff in the space of a few minutes, and seemed like a good idea at the time. But it's epic.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-07-21 01:16   [Quote] 
I've been spending evenings listening to scores that I enjoy, and some other music, too.

The Hours - Philip Glass. Something unnerving, "acinematic" and very distreasing. Love it! Plus all the motivic phrasing you coukd want this side of North Star.

More Supertramp, now I'm onto Crisis and enjoying it. Hoping it will rub in and I will really dig it like Steely Dan's Royal Scam did for me.

And today, my "Friday" after carrying 9 days of mail in 104 degree temps, I poured a Buffalo Trace and am currently cranking Atomic Rooster's In Hearing Of.. LP.

Fuck, all is good.

Just... Yeah.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-07-21 08:05   [Quote] 

uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-07-21 21:51   [Quote] 

cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2019-07-22 19:56   [Quote] 
Listening through the relatively small discography of The Wirtschaftswunder - I don't like ~80% of what they did, but there's a few real pearls in their catalogue... for example this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX-xd4wpaAA

Their general approach could be summed up as a combination of instrumental competence and dilettantism and they might be the proggiest of the NDW-related bands (there's tunes the wild bar changes of which I still don't understand).

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-07-22 23:45   [Quote] 
Interesting research, cookie. Stuff I never knew jack about.

between the techno and like mixes I'm still going through the Harry Partch collection...

Delusion of the Fury now, the popular favorite, played in dance halls everywhere.

Poking around it seems that FZ and HP got along great, Frank taking much interest in HP productions being staged
in LA (maybe this one? Delusion recorded January, 1969 at UCLA). Ben Johnston said that Frank was enthusiastic, and in Irwin Chusid's book was the mention of them getting along (but no citation that I could see).

HOLY SMOKES! Just looked up Ben Johnston to find the orig article where I recently read his quote and it is posted on wiki
that he died YESTERDAY, July 21! Good Grief!

Well, time for me to move on...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-07-23 03:33   [Quote] 
Good reminder to revisit my Partch discs. I've probably let those rest for too long. Likewise Moondog from last week.

Tonight I got home and foubd that my CD copy of Hawkestrel had arrived, so that's cranking right now. Sort of an Alan Davey orchestrated Hawkwind reunion. It's about what you'd expect if at all familiar with Davey, Turner et al. I'm happy they got Ginger Baker on board. The sound of the disc is pretty good, dense but intelligible. I like it!

https://cleorecs.com/store/shop/hawkestrel-the-future-is-us-cd/
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-07-23 07:34   [Quote] 

vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-07-23 11:14   [Quote] 
cookie_manager wrote:
Listening through the relatively small discography of The Wirtschaftswunder - I don't like ~80% of what they did, but there's a few real pearls in their catalogue... for example this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX-xd4wpaAA

Their general approach could be summed up as a combination of instrumental competence and dilettantism and they might be the proggiest of the NDW-related bands (there's tunes the wild bar changes of which I still don't understand).

What in the heck? I’ll have t delve a bit deeper into this stuff. Thanx.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ephceetera
Poster
kyrgyzstan.gif
Post 2019-07-23 12:24   [Quote] 
Not exactly right NOW, but lately I've been enjoying --

Cookie Manager, I know I still owe you tracks and stuff. Well, I didn't know my kid would be so demanding, and since I'm the jobless one out of me and my significant one, I have no time. Even had to temporarily drop out of university.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2019-07-23 17:35   [Quote] 
ephceetera wrote:
Cookie Manager, I know I still owe you tracks and stuff. Well, I didn't know my kid would be so demanding, and since I'm the jobless one out of me and my significant one, I have no time. Even had to temporarily drop out of university.

If the stuff I sent you inspires you in times you actually have... time for it - great.
If not, you still have a few weird disparate drum noises to listen to from time to time Razz
It was an offer, and I do not expect you to work on the files.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 45 of 58 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: