Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1975 11 22 Ljubljana YU 55.39 FM (Bengofury-WIU2B-MrUMRK-Overnitefreak)  
DL-List
Complete: [ 283 ]

Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-06-16 22:06   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa
1975 11 22 Ljubljana YU

We are pleased to finally get this show up on the tracker. The samples started all the way back in 2007! It wasn't easy. This one needed a lot of work (5 hours on "Advance Romance" alone) and three different versions to make it as complete as possible for now. None of the versions out there sounded great, narrowing the choices to the least "unpleasant" sounding. Each version also seemed to vary in sound quality from one end of the tape to the other.

This show was listed in the past as an audience recording. After further listening and discussions, it is definitely a soundboard source and it is our belief that it originates from an FM broadcast somewhere in the past. There are several professional sounding edits (perhaps FZ constructed) that are unlikely a fan's doing.

We chose Bengofury's version for the main seed. Easily the best, it is full of hiss but does have the most depth to the sound. Sadly, it was incomplete (as were some other versions presented), cutting under a minute into "Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy".

WIU2B's version was complete and was used for the ending section of the tape. "Lonely Little Girl" cuts off with no fills available and oddly, the tape continues in the middle of Terry Bozzio's drum solo before cutting off again.

Most interesting was OSFA's version of this show (kindly supplied by MrUMRK) which not only had slightly more at the introduction than any other version, but had much more available and one less cut in "Advance Romance" than the other tapes. A few extra seconds of Norma Bell's solo before the tape flip and a whole 55 seconds more of FZ's solo found nowhere else! This source also played continuous from the flip to the end of the song where all the other versions had a second cut (with fades) right at the end of FZ's solo.

Confused yet? It gets better. All the sources EXCEPT the OSFA tape had 7 seconds of what sounds like the beginning of FZ's "Advance" solo after the tape flip, then abruptly cut (in what sounds like a professional edit) to later in the solo (55 seconds in on the OSFA tape). Is the OSFA tape from a different broadcast? Sadly, we don't know much about the origins of this tape at this writing. I've provided the unpatched versions for further audio explaination.

As I struggled with this show and all its flaws, I found it to be quite listenable in the end. Especially considering the fact of the unusual location and the only tape to be known of the two concerts FZ played in the former Yugoslavia during the fall 1975 tour. This typical 1975 set list is full of ripping FZ guitar solos which is one of the reasons I've come to really like this tour.

Black Napkins was of course offically released on FZPTMOFZ and sounds much better there. But, it is complete here. DZ mentions in the liner notes about someday releasing the whole concert. We can only hope that happens.

FZShows entry:
1975 11 22 - Hala Tivoli, Ljubljana, Slovenia
55 min, Aud, C+

Stinkfoot (incl. The Poodle Lecture), Dirty Love, Black Napkins [FZPTMOFZ], Advance Romance, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, The Illinois Enema Bandit, Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy, Lonely Little Girl, drum solo

This version: 55:39 min, FM, B

Main source:

Lineage: FM > unknown equipment > cassette > (?) > TDK D90 cassette > Pioneer CT-W606DR tape deck > SB Audigy 2 > AA3 > WAV > Flac > SoundForge 9 & 10 (speed correction, de-clicking, editing, patching in fills, tracking) > WAV > FLAC Frontend

Show recorded by: n/a
Transferred by: BengoFury
Edited by: Overnitefreak

Fill source 1:

Lineage: unknown
Transferred by: WIU2B

Fill source 2:

Lineage: unknown
Transferred by: MrUMRK (from OSFA provided tape)

Setlist:
01 introduction (fades in Mr UMRK source, cross-fade to Bengofury source @ 0:07)
02 Stink Foot
03 The Poodle Lecture
04 Dirty Love
05 Black Napkins
06 Advance Romance (MrUMRK patches @ 3:46-3:55, 4:04-4:59 & 6:14-6:28)
07 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
08 The Illinois Enema Bandit
09 Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
10 Lonely Little Girl
11 drum solo

Unpatched tracks in separate subfolder:
01 introduction
06a Advance Romance
06b Advance Romance
09 Carolina Harcore Ecstasy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Bengofury for contributing main source.
Thanks to WIU2B, OSFA & MrUMRK for contributing the other versions for fills.
Thanks to Flambay for first round speed correction and additional advice.

2011 01 30 - Zappateers Archives

Enjoy!

-- Overnitefreak

www.zappateers.com/bb - December 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Samples history:
Murry-FlyingtoAdel:
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10088 &
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10095
WIU2B: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18636
OSFA/MrUMRK: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10096
Teddy/pbuzby: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=18603

Last edited by Overnitefreak on 2017-11-22 02:48; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Jelly
netherlands.gif
Post 2011-07-12 17:33   [Quote] 
all the hard work is well appreciated!

Jelly

rimshak
Post 2012-05-17 02:24   [Quote] 
thanks a lot.

Just go the FZ plays FZ CD.
Ripped it to listen.... started Black Napkins .. which is an excelllent version... when it stopped at 7:10 I thought my rip went wrong... could not not believe it is imcomplete on the cd !!!...

any idea why ?

So happy this tracker exists..

Thanks

hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2012-05-17 05:21   [Quote] 
Thanks very much for all the hard work tunes

Overnitefreak wrote:

As I struggled with this show and all its flaws, I found it to be quite listenable in the end. Especially considering the fact of the unusual location and the only tape to be known of the two concerts FZ played in the former Yugoslavia during the fall 1975 tour. This typical 1975 set list is full of ripping FZ guitar solos which is one of the reasons I've come to really like this tour.

Black Napkins was of course offically released on FZPTMOFZ and sounds much better there. But, it is complete here. DZ mentions in the liner notes about someday releasing the whole concert. We can only hope that happens.

I really enjoy this tour for the same reason, and there's some really blistering FZ solos here headbanger

A complete official release of this would be amazing Smile

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Jonas67
sweden.gif
Post 2012-11-14 19:14   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ModraLasta
croatia.gif
Post 2013-04-20 09:10   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot, too bad that show day earlier 21.11.1975 in Zagreb wasnt recorded (my dad was on that show, but he has no information about set list, 36 years past he forgot it but he remebers it as best show of his life better than Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones and others)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Corgi
netherlands.gif
Post 2013-10-12 22:47   [Quote] 
Thankzzzz
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2017-11-21 18:09   [Quote] 
Listening to this tape now. I used to have a version that was much poorer and, let me tell you, apart from some bass distortion, this version here doesn't sound bad at all: in fact, the main bulk of this seed (the BengoFury tape) never sounded better. I know ratings are subjective but I'd place this in a B+/B range. I've heard B rated tapes that sounded much, much worse than this.

I also think it's a very good show but I'm a sucker for this band (always disappointed to see it rated poorly on the classic Zappa trading guides pages "Shall We Trade Our Tapes Seriously" and "We're Only In It For The Touring", even though I don't find myself agreeing often with some of the common opinions on these pages).

Should the complete show ever become an official release, I would not complain. Would make a fine addition to "FZ:OZ" and "Joe's Menage".

cheers

Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-21 19:46   [Quote] 
I found this link about this show:

https://www.ourspace.si/en/cebelnjak/frank-zappa
 [Profile]  [PM] 
varanasibull
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2017-11-21 23:28   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot. ...and if ever there was a full capture of this show, it might have been lost by now. The war, you know...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2017-11-22 02:48   [Quote] 
Quote:
Listening to this tape now. I used to have a version that was much poorer and, let me tell you, apart from some bass distortion, this version here doesn't sound bad at all: in fact, the main bulk of this seed (the BengoFury tape) never sounded better. I know ratings are subjective but I'd place this in a B+/B range. I've heard B rated tapes that sounded much, much worse than this.

You know, I don't even remember rating this a B- but I guess I did. I may have been shy about over rating above the C+ in FZShows at the time. I remember what a puzzle this one was to compile. But I agree that it is very listenable. Frank's solo in Advance Romance is killer. Totally bad ass!

You've convinced me. I am editing the rating up to a B!

P.S. Cool link J! I can't translate it but I like the pictures! Laughing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2017-11-22 09:50   [Quote] 
Overnitefreak wrote:
Quote:

You know, I don't even remember rating this a B- but I guess I did. I may have been shy about over rating above the C+ in FZShows at the time. I remember what a puzzle this one was to compile. But I agree that it is very listenable. Frank's solo in Advance Romance is killer. Totally bad ass!

You've convinced me. I am editing the rating up to a B!

P.S. Cool link J! I can't translate it but I like the pictures! Laughing

https://www.ourspace.si/en/blog/frank-zappa

This one should do (for most of us) ... Wink

Thanks Al Fresco for finding this.

Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT

Jump to: