Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The "What was he thinking?!" thread
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
velvetgrass
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-14 06:07   [Quote] 
The majority of us here deeply love nearly everything Frank Zappa did (myself included) but I'm sure we all have thought of a couple of FZ's moments/choices as "what was he thinking?!". I thought this would be a good thread to share some of these opinions.

Just found this while surfing the internet, and the question ("what was he thinking?!") immediately crossed my mind-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpQtl8yl__8

^ This totally doesn't fit FZ's persona and he definitely wasn't the ideal role model for a dental PSA because he was a heavy smoker and that had to have damaged his teeth over the years.

I'm sure I'll think of more moments/choices I disagree with later...

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-14 06:12   [Quote] 
velvetgrass wrote:
This totally doesn't fit FZ's persona and he definitely wasn't the ideal role model for a dental PSA

Yeah, they should have enlisted some other rock musician who had written a song about dental floss.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
barrett39
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-14 15:57   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
velvetgrass wrote:
This totally doesn't fit FZ's persona and he definitely wasn't the ideal role model for a dental PSA

Yeah, they should have enlisted some other rock musician who had written a song about dental floss.
roflol

Seriously though...

I'll get flack for this, but I CANNOT stand "Valley Girl." Not even as a novelty song. It is just too awful.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-14 16:00   [Quote] 
barrett39 wrote:

I'll get flack for this, but I CANNOT stand "Valley Girl." Not even as a novelty song. It is just too awful.

If you don't like the words try checking out the FZ, Chad and (overdubbed) Scott jam in the background.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2010-12-14 16:17   [Quote] 
I love Valley Girl!

But the obvious choice for "What was he thinking" is that business from Saratoga, 840901.

I've copied an account of it.......

"Before the encore, somebody passes a note onstage. It has a bunch of fan-esque compliments and then it says something like "the only thing about you that sucks is your attitude towards women" ... and then it says something about the Raggedy Ann doll and how he should make it do some things to men who are just as dumb as the women he makes fun of, rather than sexual things.

Then Zappa replies out of the blue, in a condescending voice, with something like, "Let me tell you about women's movements. The only good women's movement is the one where I'm inside of them and they're holding onto the bedpost and their eyes are rolled up in the back of their head. What do you think about that?""
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2010-12-14 16:28   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
barrett39 wrote:

If you don't like the words try checking out the FZ, Chad and (overdubbed) Scott jam in the background.

I personally hate "Valley Girl, even melody-wise, sorry. It may be professional written and played, but I really think it's a lousy song and one of Frank's worst. The same applies for "No Not Now" and "Teenage Prostitue" (the latter of which I know is quite respected here, but I simply can't stand). So I'd add this to the list, and I'd like also to add the horrid backwards version of "No Not Now": clueless, useless and unfunny. Some songs, which are overplayed, like "Dancin' Fool", "Dinah Moe Humm, "Honey Don't You Want a Man Like Me?" and as such at least are entrateining the first times you hear them (musically the latest I've mentioned is stunning, in my opinion, all those changes and answers with the lyrics!). I can't say the same about the songs I've mentioned, and I'm just glad they weren't played live that much (as far as I know "Valley Girl" and "No Not Now" didn't even meet the stage, though "No Not Now" was in an 1981 rehearsal tape).

wildfisherman wrote:
Then Zappa replies out of the blue, in a condescending voice, with something like, "Let me tell you about women's movements. The only good women's movement is the one where I'm inside of them and they're holding onto the bedpost and their eyes are rolled up in the back of their head. What do you think about that?""

Oh yeah, stupidest thing Frank has ever said on stage, and spoils one of the 1984 shows I otherwise really enjoy. Why the hell such a clever person like him would put such an idiotic answer?

cheers

WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-14 17:21   [Quote] 
In my opinion FZ enters slippery ice when commenting on the news in general and international politics specially after he discovered C-SPAN and CNN, sometimes just copying what he had seen on TV, or heard on the radio and presenting it as facts. There are some really embarrassing moments where I really thought he wasn't thinking at all.

In his dealings with Vaclav Havel and the state of Czechoslovakia....What was he thinking?

[Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-14 19:08   [Quote] 
The Saratoga comment is #1 for me.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-12-14 19:18   [Quote] 
wildfisherman wrote:

"Before the encore, somebody passes a note onstage. It has a bunch of fan-esque compliments and then it says something like "the only thing about you that sucks is your attitude towards women" ... and then it says something about the Raggedy Ann doll and how he should make it do some things to men who are just as dumb as the women he makes fun of, rather than sexual things.

I haven't even heard it, but I'll have to go with that one. Definitely worse than doing a dental PSA. Even worse, a good part of the audience must have praised him for that comment.

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-14 19:23   [Quote] 
If I remember right, the actual quote is that the only women's movement is "in the bed, in a horizontal position."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
barrett39
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-14 19:41   [Quote] 
wildfisherman wrote:

Shocked I never heard of that incident before. Wow. Sounds like an Andrew Dice Clay moment.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-14 19:50   [Quote] 
With all the shady reccollections going down, I thought we could use an exact transcription...

"Oh, tremendous, I have been passed a note. Here, I will read you this note. "Dearest Frank Zappa, your music is great, attitude towards women sucks. Raggedy ann dances real well, why not let her put some fucker in his place, okay, signed, Margie". Well, let me tell you something about women's movement. There is only one good women's movement, and I'm deeply involved in it. That is the movement where their back arches up like this and they hold onto the top of the bed and their eyes roll back. This is the most important women's movement, and you should all be involved in it. Now, some other friendly advice...d'ya know...the female species is divided into three compartments. There is the "girl". A "girl" is a person who dreams of having a boy kiss her on the lips. Then you have the "lady". The "lady" is a person who thinks that every guy should kiss her ass. And then you have a "woman", who appreciates it when a man kisses her pussy. And that's how you can tell 'em apart. Meanwhile, this song is called Camarillo Brillo..."

And people wonder why "Lady" Bianca didn't hang around for very long...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2010-12-14 20:51   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
The Saratoga comment is #1 for me.
I second that.

Otherwise, I think that this question may be asked in a positive way: when I listen to Little House I Used To Live In, it's this question that crosses my mind the most

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wildfisherman
Vine Coordinator
uk.gif
Post 2010-12-14 21:08   [Quote] 
Thanks for the transcription. I really should have taken the time to get it right rather than cutting and pasting the first reference I found.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
czgibson
uk.gif
Post 2010-12-14 22:33   [Quote] 
Those dental PSAs are extraordinary. Was he looking for cash to finance his highly expensive orchestral projects?

One decision that always baffled me was this idea: "Forty minutes of tedious and unfunny dialogue and an Italian journalist singing a song from the eighties, that's just what should go in the middle of the Uncle Meat album on CD!"
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 4 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: