Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1968 11 10 KSAN San Francisco CA FM -3x 1st gen sample sets  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills
DL-List
Complete: [ 12 ]

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-08 07:46   [Quote] 
Here are three first gens. Tape flips are all different, although the GF and TA sources are close.
The RC source has quite different tape flips and for sure can provide fills if not choosen for full torrent.
It is rather difficult to compare, show tape flips, and enough samples for pitch adjustments.
So the main focus here is comparison of sound.

Frank Zappa
KSAN 94.9 FM San Francisco, CA. Rebroadcast(this copy) on KPFA 94.1 FM Berkeley, CA
Interview and music with Tom Donahue

Original Broadcast Date: 1968 11 10
Re-Broadcast Date: 1986 02 10 FZ day on KPFA

---------------------
Sample Set one
Source: 1st generation analog FM capture

Lineage: TDK SA - 90 Cassette(1st gen)>Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck>Tascam US-122L>
Sound Forge Pro 10.0 (record/edits/resample)>FLAC Level 8

Taped By: Gerald Fialka
Obtained from: Lagz
Transferred By: Drew51
Edited By: Drew51
----------------------

Sample Set Two
Source: 1st generation analog FM capture.

Lineage: TDK D90 Cassette(1st gen)>Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck>Tascam US-122L>

Taped By: Ted Alvy
Obtained from: blackpage
----------------------------------------------------------
Sample Set Three

Source: 1st generation analog FM capture

Lineage: Maxell Epitaxial XLII Cassettes(1st gen)>Nakamichi CR-7A cassette deck>Tascam US-122L>

Taped By: Ron Covall
Obtained from: ZRP
--------------------------------------------------

Description:
FZ is guest on the Tom Donahue show. FZ is interviewed and brings some of his favorite records
to play on the air.

Set list: (set list is from MR UMRK version, this may vary? Needs to be checked)
01 Agency Man ~ Mothers
02 Interview part 1
03 The Handsome Cabin Boy ~ Ewan McCall & A.L.Lloyd
04 Interview part 2
05 Grunion Run ~ The Hollywood Persuaders
06 Interview part 3
07 A Hammer Without A Master ~ Pierre Boulez
08 America Now ad
09 Berkeley Concert ad
10 When I Get Married ~ The Dream Lovers
11 Memories of El Monte ~ The Penguins].....Interview part 4 missing(some or all of this missing piece is on RC version)
12 Goodbye Pork Pie Hat ~ Charles Mingus
13 Lucy Mae Blues ~ Frankie Lee Sims
14 Interview part 5
15 The Letter ~ Vernon Green & The Medalions
16 Interview part 6
17 Daddy Daddy ~ Richard Berry & the Dreamers
18 Interview part 7
19 Twilight Florence ~ The Paragons
20 Nova Express ad
21 Florence & Florence Don't Leave Me ~ The Paragons
22 Outro

The Ron Covall version contains KPFK commentary from FZ day at start and in the middle some
place, and thus is on two tapes or 3 sides. This commentary is slightly interesting and is not
on the tracker in any form, only on this tape. The RC version also has all or part of missing
Interview pt-4 section.
The Ted Alvy tape might be a pre-FM, Although all versions here and on the tracker appear to be
the rebroadcast on KPFK. I may be wrong? the Ted Alvy tape could have originated elsewhere?

Tape flips and such vary with each version. Probably all three are going to be needed for fills.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-08 07:51   [Quote] 
I checked all versions on the tracker, and any of these blow them away as far as quality. This is a tough choice as they all sound excellent! We do have some hum, and some FM static. This really is a collector tape played on the air, and that collector tape has dropouts, hum, and saturation or crinkling of tape at times. No other copy of the original broadcast has been seen by me. Talk about depth, three first gens from the collection....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-11 16:01   [Quote] 
My 2 copies suffer from noise reduction or hiss. No match.

[Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-11 17:26   [Quote] 
Out of these three, I like the GF (the guy who worked for Barfco Swill) version, it has a lot of hiss, but also high end. The RC version is rather nice too, it does not have as much a high end, but also has a lot less hiss. The version from TA is good, but it is on normal bias tape, so does not have the range of the other copies. I think overall the RC copy is best, it's a tough call here. The GF version would be acceptable too, it's really between these two IMHO.

Since I did all three transfers, i can say they are just raw transfers for sure. All three kick ass, it's nice to have such choices!
I know many consider the shows more important, but with two legends Donahue
and Zappa, sitting down and playing their favorate records, it doesn't get anymore historic!
This and the KPPC interview w/ Carter are extremely important documents. Donahue and Carter are legends in underground radio. Very historic figures. Having the KSAN and KPPC interviews in very nice quality should be a priority.
We do have a great copy of the Johnny Otis show, and with these two added we will have the best damned examples of early 60's counter culture media figures on the net.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-15 03:03   [Quote] 
Jeez, this is a tough one. You're right. The GF tape has more high end but for those who don't like hiss it has the most.

If I were forced to make a quick decision, I'd go with the RC for seeding here.

What is interesting is the intros are all different. The GF & RC are obviously from re-broadcast but have completely different introductions from the DJ. Are they from different affiliated stations or was this re-broadcast more than once? Also, curious that the TA tape doesn't have the re-broadcast station ID's (at least in these samples).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-12-15 05:07   [Quote] 
Quote:
Also, curious that the TA tape doesn't have the re-broadcast station ID's (at least in these samples).

It could be from a tape, not the rebroadcast. But when the acutual KSAN show starts on all three it is at the same place. i say this because KPFK used a fan tape of the broadcast, and the taper was late, so the actual start of show is missing from all known copies. it appears this taper, was the only person to preserve this show!!! I would think KPFK could secure an old KSAN tape, it must not have been there to use?

These samples are really confusing sorry.

The RC version has the full KPFK introduction, it is the only copy to have it. Because of the way the samples would play in order, you may think it is a different intro. Peaches plays just before the start on this RC version too. It is about 15 minutes into broadcast before peaches does play, and the KSAN show actually starts. The first 15 minutes is the jocks at KPFK talking about playing this broadcast, donations, the fact it is FZ day etc. The RC tape is the only copy with this, and we need to present it. I agree this is the version to use. The RC one. it should be presented as a rebroadcast though.
If my half-ass explaination makes no sense it will clear up when you get the full version.
It also might be a case here where we do present two versions. A remaster of the GF version would probably sound sweet.

Interesting as most flaws on these tapes actually were broadcast that way. The collector who taped it, that version has some crinkles (tape damage), and drop outs and such. You can really tell how well it was recorded when you hear the jocks at KPFK, and oh BTW they come back after an hour and talk another 10 minutes. this makes all the tape flips different from the other versions, so we should have fills for all flips.
One needs to decide which to use to fill with?

As we talked privately, this like the KPPC thing blows away any copies on this tracker.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-13 03:13   [Quote] 
Quote:
If my half-ass explaination makes no sense it will clear up when you get the full version.

Actually it makes perfect sense now that I have all three versions. I'll start working on this one.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-16 21:38   [Quote] 
Here is a streaming version on archive.org.

No info about the lineage / 97 mins. / VBR M3U (Hi-Fi)

http://www.archive.org/details/C_1968_XX_XX
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-16 23:29   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
Here is a streaming version on archive.org.

No info about the lineage / 97 mins. / VBR M3U (Hi-Fi)

http://www.archive.org/details/C_1968_XX_XX

Archive.org has turned to shit, they used to offer flac, and went to streaming. Huge mistake! These samples are very good, quality is really not a concern. All three are excellent. And we should have it all too. And much better then archive.org as our version is 100% lossless!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-17 00:37   [Quote] 
Drew51 wrote:
Archive.org has turned to shit, they used to offer flac, and went to streaming. Huge mistake! These samples are very good, quality is really not a concern. All three are excellent. And we should have it all too. And much better then archive.org as our version is 100% lossless!

My "remark" was just ment as a "remark". Wink

But yes, of course you are totally right, although some stuff is also in lossless shn-format there.

Thanks again.

PS: Strange - for the "KSAN 1968", the FLACFingerPrint-files are still downloadable, but the FLACs itself were later deleted.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: