Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Obscure Zappa Vinyl Question
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Uncle_Meat1940
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-15 19:56   [Quote] 
Ive came across some pretty obscure Zappa Records at a few local shops and I was wondering if anybody could give me some information on one if not all of these so I can see if they're worth buying.

they are called

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Transparency

Frank Zappa - Rare Meat

Zappa and Beefheart - Metal Man Has Hornet's Wings

And some type of boot leg with Linda Ronstadt that I can't remember the name of.

Any info would be appreciated.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-15 20:02   [Quote] 
Try this site for info on Transparency and Rare Meat.

Metal Man is from An Evening With Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart which you can find on our site.

The boot with Linda Ronstadt is most likely Remington Electric Razor which you can also find on our site.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2010-02-15 20:54   [Quote] 
You can try the same site for info on the others...
see:
http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/bootlegs/alphabetical_index.html

Transparency is not technically called Transparency just nicknamed so because of the cover image. Of the various compilations issued without FZ's consent, this one is especially interesting as it has some unique edits of the WOIIFTM material.

Rare Meat is not very rare at all.

Metal Man Has Hornets Wings can command high prices - there are lots of different pressings - some highly sought after.

Remington Electric Razor similarly has been issued plenty of times - if it is the one with a razor blade glued to the cover it is much sought after.

"Transparency" and "Rare Meat" are legal issues, the others are bootlegs - and most of the contents can be bettered by seeds on this site.

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-15 23:27   [Quote] 
StatusBaby wrote:

Remington Electric Razor similarly has been issued plenty of times - if it is the one with a razor blade glued to the cover it is much sought after.

It shouldn't be. The "razor blade" version has terrible sound quality. The one to look for has only one xeroxed insert and the "REMINGTON ELECTRIC RAZOR" logo reproduced on the labels. This is the "original" pressing.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2010-02-16 00:50   [Quote] 
No-one buys bootlegs to play JWB - at least if they're a member here Exclamation

The razor blade pressing may be the worst sound (I don't know - I haven't played it) but it certainly fetches the highest prices.

[Edit] I should add in Europe at least

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Mr. People
usa.gif
Post 2010-04-13 03:07   [Quote] 
Has anyone else seen or even heard of an FZ vinyl with "Stairway To Heaven" on side A, and Ravel's "Bolero" on side B? Actually, I don't really remember if it was "Stairway" on A, but I'm sure it's "Bolero" on B.

If it helps, the background is gray, with pinkish letters, and pinkish pipe sculpture in the mid-ground.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-13 03:40   [Quote] 
StatusBaby wrote:
No-one buys bootlegs to play JWB - at least if they're a member here Exclamation

The razor blade pressing may be the worst sound (I don't know - I haven't played it) but it certainly fetches the highest prices.

[Edit] I should add in Europe at least

The razor blade issue is highly sought after, but the original sounds much better. The razor blade varient must have been issued some time after the original as I never heard of it till about 5 years ago. I have the original, bought it new as a matter of fact.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-13 04:57   [Quote] 
As far as I know, there are only two pressings of Remington: The original & the razor blade reissue. The reissue did not use the same plates as the original, it's a "dupe" in every way right down to the "tracklisting" insert, so it was probably made by a different bootlegger.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2010-04-13 20:20   [Quote] 
There are three editions of Remington Electric Razor according to the info I have.

1st Pressing
ML-001 A/B Matrix with REMINGTON ELECTRIC RAZOR printed on some labels other labels are blank white or blank green or a combination (i.e. one side white and one side green)

2nd Pressing
Matrix Side One:ML-001-SIDE1 L-6150
Matrix Side Two:ML-001-SIDE2 L-6150-X

These were issued in white or black sleeves with photostat insert. The photstat insert comes in two varients - plain and with Zappa head.

3rd Pressing
No Matrix and plain white labels.
Razor blade cover - which comes in 2 variants - one with more blood on the image than the other.
The rear cover had the plain photostat (without Zappa head) insert glued to it.

This information from my collection and Dieter Jakob's excellent 'You Can't Do That On Bootz Anymore'

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rumpelstilz
Poster
EU.gif
Post 2010-04-14 10:37   [Quote] 
Mr. People wrote:
Has anyone else seen or even heard of an FZ vinyl with "Stairway To Heaven" on side A, and Ravel's "Bolero" on side B? Actually, I don't really remember if it was "Stairway" on A, but I'm sure it's "Bolero" on B.

If it helps, the background is gray, with pinkish letters, and pinkish pipe sculpture in the mid-ground.

Sure 'nuff - it was released ahead of TBBYNHIYL in '91 as a 12" vinyl and 5" CD-maxi. It shows up frequently on ebay - the CD-maxis are quite cheap and the vinyls don't break the bank either. The mix is rumored to be a little different than the TBBYNHIYL version.

stairway - bolero.JPG
 Description:  
 Filesize:  61.85 KB
 Viewed:  151 Time(s)

stairway - bolero.JPG

Shivers
Post 2010-04-14 15:47   [Quote] 
About a week ago I found the vinyl bootlegs Titties & Beer & Leatherette in a local antique shop. Both is excellent condition.

Are these real rare boots or just average boots?

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-14 16:21   [Quote] 
Shivers wrote:
About a week ago I found the vinyl bootlegs Titties & Beer & Leatherette in a local antique shop. Both is excellent condition.

Are these real rare boots or just average boots?

Those are rare! Leatherette is very interesting. Good boot!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-04-14 16:35   [Quote] 
rumpelstilz wrote:
Mr. People wrote:

Sure 'nuff - it was released ahead of TBBYNHIYL in '91 as a 12" vinyl and 5" CD-maxi. It shows up frequently on ebay - the CD-maxis are quite cheap and the vinyls don't break the bank either. The mix is rumored to be a little different than the TBBYNHIYL version.

Hey, very cool cover!

Uncle_Meat1940
usa.gif
Post 2010-04-14 16:45   [Quote] 
That's creepy that this thread got some life in it today, cause I was just about to post another question in here.

here is the site of the store with 'Metal Man' www.shugarecords.com just type in Zappa and it's on the second page. Any info on it would be nice. Smile
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2010-04-14 23:30   [Quote] 
Uncle_Meat1940 wrote:
'Metal Man' www.shugarecords.com just type in Zappa and it's on the second page. Any info on it would be nice. Smile

This is neither rare or obscure - it is a very common bootleg and regularly appears on eBay for up to $75. There are a lot of different variants on this album (at least 8) and you won't really know the true value until you see the label. Either way it is only the coloured vinyl editions (which this is not) which fetch the sort of money Shuga are asking.

There is some interesting stuff on this bootleg - see here:
http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/bootlegs/studio_oddities.html#metalmanhashornetswings

The album was released in 1978 not 1971 and Fan Records is not the real label i.e this is not what is printed on the label. The re-releases started in 1980. Apart from the coloured vinyl editions, they were all pressed in fairly large quantities.

I have a few different copies - but my site has gone tits up at the moment. I'll post again here when I have some pictures for you.

In short - don't buy it from Shuga - they're asking double-bubble.

EDIT
Got my site sorted.
Four of the variants of Metal Man Has Hornet Wings are shown here:
http://www.paulbarnard.co.uk/zappa/vinboots/mmhhw1.html
http://www.paulbarnard.co.uk/zappa/vinboots/mmhhw2.html
http://www.paulbarnard.co.uk/zappa/vinboots/mmhhw3.html
http://www.paulbarnard.co.uk/zappa/vinboots/mmhhw4.html

Last edited by StatusBaby on 2010-04-28 22:19; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: