Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Zappa In New York: Uncensored Original Version
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
ox2lf
Post 2010-04-01 23:24   [Quote] 
Okay, I know this one is treading on this ice, but I don't know how else to approach this, so please forgive me if there are any issues with this question.

I've read the comparisons between the CD and vinyl issues of ZINY and know the details pretty well, and to reinforce the comparison I own the 95 Ryko CD and a 77 (or is it 78?) censored US vinyl pressing. That said, I've been trying to find a copy of the original uncensored vinyl and have had little luck. It's not that I need an original copy, I just want a good quality version to compare with, preferably a lossless vinyl or counterfeit CD rip. The closest I've found is a low bitrate MP3 of the whole thing, supposedly sourced from an internal WB test pressing.

So, would anyone be able to give me some advice in this field? A PM is preferred in a matter like this. Thanks in advance.

Dave3/ox2lf
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-01 23:45   [Quote] 
I made a "remastered re-creation" utilizing the "Lather" CD and the "uncensored" vinyl. I used the MP3 version as a "guide". It came out pretty damn good...dare I say better than a rip of the "uncensored" vinyl itself would probably be. The sound quality is consistantly excellent...and the edits from one source to another are undetectable.

I don't know if this helps you, but I'd be glad to share it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ox2lf
Post 2010-04-02 00:02   [Quote] 
Thanks JWB, but I'm definitely more interested in an original rip, although I would like to check your version out. You definitely know your way around audio!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-04-05 08:20   [Quote] 
ox2lf wrote:
Okay, I know this one is treading on this ice

It is indeed Very Happy

From what I can gather, the only differences between the uncensored vinyl and the censored vinyl are the removal of Punky's Whips, and the removal of four lines in Titties & Beer (everything from "What's your story?" to " . . . this may not register right away, but let me say this:"). Because these edits were made by Warner Brothers and not FZ, there's absolutely no reason to believe the album is otherwise remixed, and all testimony from owners of the uncensored vinyl confirm this. The only other differences would be the standard minute variations in sound inherent to all analog mediums.

As such, an "uncensored vinyl" can be perfectly reconstructed simply by adding the Lather versions of Punky's Whips and Titties & Beer to the censored vinyl tracks.

I'm a little uncomfortable with soliciting material which can be officially obtained - even if the actual exchange is done in private, that only protects the person providing the link; an eager beaver lawyer (which, to my knowledge, the ZFT has a few of!) can still argue that this site facilitated said transfer - and hence, in said lawyer's eyes, just as responsible as we would be if we provided a .torrent file of the album on the tracker.

So, as a compromise, I offer the following: Let's get an ear-witness account from an owner of the uncensored version (Hasi, all eyes on you here Very Happy), confirming that the uncensored album is exactly the same as (censored vinyl + Lather tracks) - at which point, this thread will have served its purpose in giving you the information needed to reconstruct your own "listening version", like JWB did, from the officially released versions.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2010-04-05 09:25   [Quote] 
Quote:
As such, an "uncensored vinyl" can be perfectly reconstructed simply by adding the Lather versions of Punky's Whips and Titties & Beer to the censored vinyl tracks.

Yes.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rumpelstilz
Poster
EU.gif
Post 2010-04-05 09:58   [Quote] 
An other option is to be VERY patient and wait until ca. 2020, when the ZFT should release the 40th anniversary edition of ZINY (provided they don't fall behind the schedule much more)!

the Basic Primer
netherlands.gif
Post 2010-04-05 10:22   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

You're Bengo but there is a slight different at the end of "Titties & Beer" between the Lšther version and the uncensored version (insane completist only).

A nice vinyl version of this album with "Punky's Whips" is the 1991 reissue on Zappa Records
Here is one on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370351518312&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Last edited by the Basic Primer on 2010-04-05 11:36; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2010-04-05 10:39   [Quote] 
the Basic Primer wrote:

A nice vinyl version of this album with "Punky's Whips" is the 1991 reissue on Zappa Records
Here is one on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370351518312&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

According to the seller it doesn't

cheers

the Basic Primer
netherlands.gif
Post 2010-04-05 10:58   [Quote] 
The Bastard Son wrote:
the Basic Primer wrote:

Here is one on Ebay

According to the seller it doesn't

:cheers:

According to official release list http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15318 it does but it is not listed on the cover, only on the label
The seller knows that now because someone asked him some questions about it
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2010-04-05 11:06   [Quote] 
Apart from that, the 1991 vinyl is the same as the CD issue, not the original vinyl.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
here_fido
uk.gif
Post 2010-04-06 20:13   [Quote] 
hi everyone, so how rare is the original uncensored lp ? , i've got a copy that has "punky whips" listed on the cover and the label, I bought it from my mate about 20yrs ago when he was clearing out some of his vinyl, he said he bought it on the first day of release from a record shop in dundee, just curious it's not for sale...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2010-04-07 08:16   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
Apart from that, the 1991 vinyl is the same as the CD issue, not the original vinyl.

Is that true ? Including the 4 'bonus' tracks ?

I'd be curious to know
1) how all CD tracks would fit on 4 LP sides and
2) in case these 4 bonus tracks are not included
if the mix of the tracks on the 1991 vinyl is indeed the same as on the CD
or as on the original vinyl.

I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth: Which FZ solo is on the 1991 vinyl ?
The original vinyl version or the CD version ?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2010-04-07 12:42   [Quote] 
Quote:
Is that true ? Including the 4 'bonus' tracks ?

No bonus tracks, but otherwise the CD mix, just like the other "UK" vinyl issues from Zappa Records (FO, BWS). I gotta check timings though...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2010-05-15 12:18   [Quote] 
here_fido wrote:
hi everyone, so how rare is the original uncensored lp ?

Quite rare - but not as rare as one would think. Many Zappa fans - like your friend - bought the releases within the first couple of days - back in those days you could even order in advance, hence quite a few got out.

Not enough to stop the Italian bootleggers making counterfeit copies though - before you celebrate having a medium-rare item, you should check out it's not a copy.

On the subject of ZINY can I also point out another myth - the translucent red vinyl version of this album. When ZINY was withdrawn all of the re-pressings were sub-contracted to Pye - who at that time pressed on a translucent red vinyl - it looks black to the naked eye - but hold it up against a bright lightbulb and you will see it's translucent.

A couple of years ago some trader somewhere discovered this and announced an ultra-rare translucent vinyl copy of ZINY without Punky's of course. A few other traders cottoned on to this, and the bog-standard ZINY reissue without Punky's started going for silly money.

The fact is all of the re-pressings I have seen have been on this translucent vinyl. If you have a re-pressing without Punky's that is on a solid black vinyl - then you genuinely do have something rare Exclamation

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-05-15 13:18   [Quote] 
Quote:
Not enough to stop the Italian bootleggers making counterfeit copies though - before you celebrate having a medium-rare item, you should check out it's not a copy.

How can you tell?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: