Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1969 - The Mothers Of Invention - "The Artisan Acetate" 38:16 (RJ-BengoFury)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-25 23:03   [Quote] 
bigtyke66 wrote:

Interestingly, the notes are also rather specific about the recording technology for the Fleetwood Mac recording (which sounds great BTW!).

"From Tychobrae Sound's house sound system using a modified Fairchild mixing console with one line out to and Ampex 2-track recorder. Recorded mono, 2-track. 7.5 IPS on Scotch 201 tape".

Maybe this same system was used for this Mothers track?

I doubt it because the Mothers track is in stereo. The vocals also move around the stereo image, suggesting that it's multi-track or perhaps manipulated live by Dick Kunc? FZ also says "we'll be back in a while". Would they have been playing two sets at that gig?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-25 23:12   [Quote] 
Thank you for this gem ! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Jhouston
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-25 23:24   [Quote] 
Thanks a million guys Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-25 23:33   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
Would they have been playing two sets at that gig?

My notes are vague, but apparently something suggested that they might have. ("2 shows each night?")

Thanks to all involved in sharing this recording.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Fruitcake
Busy Poster
Post 2010-02-25 23:35   [Quote] 
Yikes !
Ta muchly Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-26 00:10   [Quote] 
Quote:
Many thanks for sharing what appears to be part of a nice collection you probably have of rare artifacts like this one bengo!!

Doh!
My mistake...I should have read a little better..
Thanks RJ for sharing this and thanks to bengo for seeding ithere.
I got so excited and missed some facts, sorry.

Wazoo BuffaloVoice
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-26 00:26   [Quote] 
Holy SHIT!!! This is really FANTASTIC!!! This is why I like Zappa, early Mothers, there is nothing else.

band

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuffaloVoice?feature=mhee
 [Profile]  [PM] 
richast2
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-26 00:58   [Quote] 
wow

THANK YOU!

Enema Bandit
Busy Poster
portugal.gif
Post 2010-02-26 01:01   [Quote] 
Amazing!!!!
Many thanks, RJ & BF!

cheers
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-26 01:20   [Quote] 
bigtyke66 wrote:
"From Tychobrae Sound's house sound system using a modified Fairchild mixing console with one line out to and Ampex 2-track recorder. Recorded mono, 2-track. 7.5 IPS on Scotch 201 tape".

"mono, 2-track"? hmm
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-26 02:38   [Quote] 
Quote:
mono, 2-track"?

Not sure what they did then? But all mono recordings offered here are two track.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-26 03:11   [Quote] 
ah ok, I got it - recorded on a stereo tape but with mono input.

anyway, stuff which is originally mono could be shared as mono files, which would make them much smaller (half the size of stereo files, precisely).
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-26 03:31   [Quote] 
nitramziarreh wrote:
ah ok, I got it - recorded on a stereo tape but with mono input.

I think it could be more along the lines of "one track at x volume for loud instruments, one track at y volume for quiet instruments", but who knows for sure.

nitramziarreh wrote:
anyway, stuff which is originally mono could be shared as mono files, which would be much smaller (half the size, actually).

.FLAC automatically detects monorual files and compresses accordingly*, there's no need to distinguish between mono and stereo. As a result, there's really no such thing as a "mono .FLAC file" - it'll always say stereo, but since stereo image can be expressed in differential terms**, you'll save 99% of the filesize. An example of this that I know off-hand would be my re-presentation of Roma 1973 - it's a three hour show (a two hour show, with two alternate Dupree's Paradises totalling nearly an extra hour of music) that weighs in at barely over 600MB.

The trouble with most analog transfers is that somewhere along the dubbing tree, a bit of what I'd term "stereo drift" is introduced, so the resulting sound could be "tilted" towards the right or left channel. So a good portion of the material in ~Shows~ could well have been recorded in mono, but would still end up being presented as stereo files with stereo filesize. I believe this is a good thing; better to waste a few extra MBs than end up accidentially butchering a stereo recording for no good reason.

* In fact I'm pretty sure that all compression codecs do this. I dunno, maybe the ungodly horrid piece of shit known as Shorten (.SHN) doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised Wink
** For an over-simplified idea of how this works, imagine the official White House portrait of Ronald Reagan, and the official White House portrait of Ronald Reagan with added devil horns and a "666" on his forehead. Instead of totally re-drawing the "improved" portrait from scratch, .FLAC could just say "this portrait is the same as the first portrait, but with devil horns and 666" - so instead of having to store two separate portraits, it'd just store one or the other, along with instructions for perfectly recreating the other given the first. In the case of monaural recordings, it would say "here's the left channel, and the right channel is exactly the same".
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-26 03:37   [Quote] 
Zappa Penguin wrote:
.FLAC automatically detects monorual files and compresses accordingly*, there's no need to distinguish between mono and stereo. As a result, there's really no such thing as a "mono .FLAC file" - it'll always say stereo, but since stereo image can be expressed in differential terms**, you'll save 99% of the filesize.

I'm well aware of all that, my point was that people may not always realize the recording is mono and capture it in stereo, which (as a product of the medium itself, even though the stereo image is absent) could result in heavier file sizes than needed. But I would hardly take the trouble to check the duration:file size ratio anyway, so it's no big deal.

Edit: "one track at x volume for loud instruments, one track at y volume for quiet instruments" would mean an unmixed recording, so technically it can't be called mono.

Last edited by yetanother on 2010-03-08 05:10; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-26 04:04   [Quote] 
Another note:

I was under the impression that the mono Copenhagen recording is from Falkoner Theatre 10/1/67. Why the 1968 designation?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 14 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased All times are GMT

Jump to: