Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Frank Zappa and the MOI live at BBC Television Centre 1968.
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Videos -> Archived FZ Videos
dannyv21
uk.gif
Post 2009-09-14 17:42   [Quote] 
many thanks..........

mishobej
bulgaria.gif
Post 2009-09-15 07:46   [Quote] 
Thank you very much!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-09-15 12:13   [Quote] 
Thanks much for this. I would be interested in what else you grabbed from this BBC raid?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2009-09-15 13:48   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
I would be interested in what else you grabbed from this BBC raid?

Me too Very Happy

And thanks for this, it should be amazing!

Mintypinto
blank.gif
Post 2009-09-15 15:21   [Quote] 
The other smash and grab from the BBC was 'Van Morrison live at the Rainbow 1973' with the Caladonia Soul Orchestra as recorded on 'It's Too Late To Stop Now'
It was great but also saddly long gone. I leant that to a friend who leant it to his friend and I never saw it again.
Grrrrrrrr. Crying or Very sad
Oh, what I would pay for a good wander around their archive.
Curiously, it has to be said that the BBC were not so brileant at filming rock acts in the 60s and 70s. There was a great temptation by the cameraman to shake the cameras around and zoom back wards and forwards for the full rock experience.
Its quite interesting to see the way that German TV did their filming, much slower with longer shots of musicians being musicians, not this attempt to pretend that you too are at the 'rock show'.
Thats why the FZ and the MOI footage at the BBC is so good, apart from a few psycadelics it is a pretty good and watchable set by the Mothers.
What do you think of the quality? Is it alright?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2009-09-15 21:17   [Quote] 
Mintypinto wrote:

Curiously, it has to be said that the BBC were not so brileant at filming rock acts in the 60s and 70s. There was a great temptation by the cameraman to shake the cameras around and zoom back wards and forwards for the full rock experience.
Its quite interesting to see the way that German TV did their filming, much slower with longer shots of musicians being musicians, not this attempt to pretend that you too are at the 'rock show'.
Thats why the FZ and the MOI footage at the BBC is so good, apart from a few psycadelics it is a pretty good and watchable set by the Mothers.

The BBC weren't that bad at filming rock acts during that era. The four "Colour Me Pop"shows in circulation - The Small Faces, The Moody Blues, The Nice and The Move are all well filmed with basic sometimes imaginative camerawork. Compare this BBC session with the Beat Club one... whenever I watch the Beat Club show, I just wish they quit futzing around with all the special effects... it gets very annoying since the performance underneath is pretty good.

Unfortunately, a certain Tony Palmer was given free rein at the BBC and it is him who tended to go beserk with the zoom in/zoom out madness, headache inducing fast cutting as well as tight close ups of faces... usually when someone was playing a solo. Look at the complete mess he made of the Cream farewell gig... great performance, terrible camerawork and editing because of Palmer being too clever.

THIS particular set has long been a fave of mine. Sadly I cannot grab this for sometime due to download restrictions imposed by my ISP, but I cannot wait to see this upgraded since every other copy I've seen has been fuzzy and a few generations down. It's a superb performance. Absolutely amazing this managed to survive since as we know, the BBC wiped so much stuff from that era, it hurts. Don't forget too that 11 minutes of this was also used in the late 1971 OGWT Zappa Special which featured an exclusive interview with FZ. Sadly that appears to be long gone from the BBC archive but at least an audio recording does exist.

Either way, a huge thanks for this in advance - this is by and far the Zappateers download of the year for me.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
eyeball
usa.gif
Post 2009-09-15 22:04   [Quote] 
PAL or NTSC? BBC origin suggests PAL.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-09-15 22:16   [Quote] 
It's PAL - at least, some quality stuff leaked out ...

Thanks for the upgrade, maybe "better quality" soon. Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Mintypinto
blank.gif
Post 2009-09-15 22:40   [Quote] 
emmapeelfanclub wrote:
Mintypinto wrote:

The BBC weren't that bad at filming rock acts during that era. The four "Colour Me Pop"shows in circulation - The Small Faces, The Moody Blues, The Nice and The Move are all well filmed with basic sometimes imaginative camerawork. Compare this BBC session with the Beat Club one... whenever I watch the Beat Club show, I just wish they quit futzing around with all the special effects... it gets very annoying since the performance underneath is pretty good.

Unfortunately, a certain Tony Palmer was given free rein at the BBC and it is him who tended to go beserk with the zoom in/zoom out madness, headache inducing fast cutting as well as tight close ups of faces... usually when someone was playing a solo. Look at the complete mess he made of the Cream farewell gig... great performance, terrible camerawork and editing because of Palmer being too clever.

THIS particular set has long been a fave of mine. Sadly I cannot grab this for sometime due to download restrictions imposed by my ISP, but I cannot wait to see this upgraded since every other copy I've seen has been fuzzy and a few generations down. It's a superb performance. Absolutely amazing this managed to survive since as we know, the BBC wiped so much stuff from that era, it hurts. Don't forget too that 11 minutes of this was also used in the late 1971 OGWT Zappa Special which featured an exclusive interview with FZ. Sadly that appears to be long gone from the BBC archive but at least an audio recording does exist.

Either way, a huge thanks for this in advance - this is by and far the Zappateers download of the year for me.

Tony Palmer!!!!!
Don't start me talking!
The Pigs ear he made of the Cream gig has got to be one of the worst bits of cinematography EVER.
He makes Ken Russell look like a genius.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2009-09-16 00:15   [Quote] 
Mintypinto wrote:

Tony Palmer!!!!!
Don't start me talking!
The Pigs ear he made of the Cream gig has got to be one of the worst bits of cinematography EVER.

Totally agree! Is it any surprise that Palmer and FZ fell out over "200 Motels"?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mintypinto
blank.gif
Post 2009-09-16 11:06   [Quote] 
emmapeelfanclub wrote:
Mintypinto wrote:

Tony Palmer!!!!!
Don't start me talking!

Totally agree! Is it any surprise that Palmer and FZ fell out over "200 Motels"?

Crikey, I completely forgot.
Of course! He really was a bigger amateur then I thought.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
emmapeelfanclub
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2009-09-16 15:26   [Quote] 
Mintypinto wrote:

Crikey, I completely forgot.
Of course! He really was a bigger amateur then I thought.

Tony Palmer was a pompous Classical music critic who got a gig at the BBC and in 1966 or 1967, suddenly "got into" rock music and felt he could give it some "serious" credibility on TV. He produced "Twice A Fortnight" and then "How It Is" in which he had rock guests... all surviving music clips from these shows suffer from the crazed zooming and split second cuts. Some people who worked with Palmer at the BBC recall him as being an "enfante terrible." His "All My Loving" documentary gained critical acclaim and bizarrely, Palmer won much respect for that over-rated film. He hung around Cream in tour and got the gig to film their farewell gigs. The Beatles were starting "Let It Be" round that time and on audio tapes, George arrives enthusing about the broadcast, only for Paul and Ringo to admit they got fed up with it, Paul saying he thought it was badly filmed. Lennon didn't bother to watch it at all!

I have never been able to enjoy Palmers' work. "200 Motels" was, and is a total unfocussed mess. I know and accept there were many problems involved but Palmer's direction makes the whole shebang harder to stomach. A shame because there are some good ideas and moments in there, but as a whole entity? You'd have to pay me to sit through it all again in one sitting.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
OBNOXIUs
belgium.gif
Post 2009-09-17 13:15   [Quote] 
I've just watched the 'jazz' episode of Palmer's 17-part documentary series "All You Need Is Love", and I must say that I really enjoyed it. He takes a totally different approach to jazz then most of the other documentaries do (like the Ken Burns series).
No irritating or nervous camerawork whatsoever. But I think this was made in 1975, so maybe he got more mature by then Wink

What else did he film of FZ? It really can't be worse than the 'Beat Club' video, that show is in some moments completely unwatchable. So is the movie 'Burnt Weeny Sandwich' that is seeded here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
trotski
spain.gif
Post 2009-09-17 18:32   [Quote] 
Thank you very much!!!

This vid is a must be for Zappa supporters, and the future upgrade of two gens could be marvellous.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mightyslimster
usa.gif
Post 2009-09-18 19:17   [Quote] 
Is this in PAL format?
It won't play on my DVD player. The message about incorrect region come ups.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Videos -> Archived FZ Videos All times are GMT

Jump to: