Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Den Simms - 1988 Project Documentation (141 and 2 dpi scans) (Den Simms-WIU2B-CR)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 194 ]

Chunga's Revenge
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-07-03 21:23   [Quote] 
Den Simms - 1988 Project Documentation (141 and 2 dpi scans) (Den Simms-WIU2B-CR)

141 pages Project Documentation, the labour of love wrought by Den Simms.
As you might know it's a handwritten document and therefor not an easy read.
WIU2B obtained a copy directly from DS and it's still in very good shape.

In Project Documentation, Den Simms wrote:

"This 'book' is not for sale. It is meant to be distributed freely for the purpose of education and amusement. The reader is urged to make copies for anyone who wants one. The reader is urged to do this for free, or for no more than the cost of copying. This 'book' is intended solely to distribute information without any generation of profit. In this respect, please respect the author's wishes."

So here we all go! Smile

Credits:
Major thanks to Den Simms for all his efforts on making this Documentation.
Thanks to WIU2B for the scans (150 dpi).

Enjoy!!!

Zappateers july 2009 / WIU2B & Chunga's Revenge

NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-07-03 21:29   [Quote] 
Thank you Den, WIU2B & CR.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2009-07-03 21:29   [Quote] 
Major thanks indeed, to Den, and to all others involved !!

Zappacheers!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-07-03 21:35   [Quote] 
MooHaa, Arf Arf bravo

unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2009-07-03 21:44   [Quote] 
Well done Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bburnett
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2009-07-04 01:05   [Quote] 
I remember getting one of the first copies in the mail.... Its buried deep in a box, but still in good shape too!

Dennis created this by borrowing the idea from the Dead Heads "DEADBASE"
*I have to call him and say hello soon, since last I checked his ancient MAC became to slow to even surf the net*
 [Profile]  [PM] 
_sibbz_
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2009-07-04 05:13   [Quote] 
141 and 2 dpi scans? huh?

anyway, not too important.... but a THANK you might be in order here, interesting stuff! i've been wanting to read this for quite some time now!

WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-07-04 06:36   [Quote] 
sibbz wrote:
141 and 2 dpi scans? huh?

anyway, not too important.... but a THANK you might be in order here, interesting stuff! i've been wanting to read this for quite some time now!

I think it's a typo. PD is 141 pages + 2 pages advert for Mike Keneally's Tar Tapes. Scan depth 150 dpi/b&w.

Thanks CR for seeding this so quickly. Enjoy!

[Profile]  [PM] 
Duween
estonia.gif
Post 2009-07-04 07:11   [Quote] 
Great work! Thank you very much!

Chunga's Revenge
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-07-04 09:24   [Quote] 
Chunga's Revenge wrote:
Thanks to WIU2B for the scans (150 dpi)

Notwhatitused2B wrote:
I think it's a typo. PD is 141 pages + 2 pages advert for Mike Keneally's Tar Tapes. Scan depth 150 dpi/b&w.

Indeed 141+2 pages, and I just left "dpi" in the title for a bit fun. Wondered who would be the first to mention: ok sibbz! Wink

CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-07-04 12:50   [Quote] 
thumbsup
 [Profile]  [PM] 
unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2009-07-04 13:51   [Quote] 
I thought I'd transcribe the opening page - maybe if enough of us do a few pages each, we can build a full printable transcript in a few days!!

Introduction
Hello - Welcome to Project Documentation!
If you have contributed to the effort, many thanks to you. If you simply have interest, I hope this project is in some way a help in attempting to learn more about the 1988 tour, and the music of Frank Zappa in general. Music is to be listened to, rather than talked about, thus, this study can only hint at how incredible the music that resulted from "Broadway The Hard Way" was. We can only hope that FZ chooses to be generous in his decisions of what to release for public consumption.
I was lucky enough to attend the first fourteen shows of the tour, and thirteen of the afternoon rehearsal sessions. I was extremely impressed with everything I heard and saw. The new compositions are every bit up to snuff as one would expect, the revamped arrangements sparkle with newness and imagination, and the relatively standard pieces sound fat and full behind the lushness of a five piece brass section. It was also heartening to see Frank actively interacting with the audience once again, to see onstage buffoonery at such a high level, and to witness the wonder that new types of technology have lent to the effort. I was so taken with the whole deal that I decided to try to obtain as much information as I possibly could about anything having to do with this tour. and of course, I can always in the want for any information about Zappa, thus I came up with the idea of P.D., that being, to entice others to share what they have with me by acting as a central collection point for various kinds of data, pooling it, and making it available to those who helped in the effort. Also, because next to being stimulated by FZ's music, about my favorite thing is to stimulate others with it, I decided not to limit this solely to those who could contribute, but to make this available to any interested party. It gets me off to think that in some small way, I can help cultivate and nurture interest in Mr Z. To those of you who may not comprehend some of the more technical aspects of this study, I advise that you simply go to the library, or otherwise expose yourself to a means of grasping the information. To anyone who is equipped to deal with it, I would greatly [appreciate] your comments and elaborations.
So ... in any event, I hope you enjoy P.D. I certainly enjoyed putting it together.

Den
 [Profile]  [PM] 
unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2009-07-04 14:29   [Quote] 
Page 6

Broadway The Hard Way - Tour 1988

As anyone who was fortunate enough to see any of the performances on this tour knows, this was a tremendous tour presented by a tremendous band. This might have been the most significant tour that Frank has embarked on, Of courese, the tour ended prematurely, in tragedy, but while it was rolling along, it was truly glorious!
I think that what made this tour and band so impressive was a certain combination of ingredients. Probably the most important factor was the addition of the brass section. With this five man unit, FZ had a huge increase in latitude for his arrangement of well worn warhorses, as well as the means to play special arrangements that relied upon the brass. I was interesting to see how normally simple and sparse guitar oriented arrangements were given a new dimension and fullness by the addition of the section. Having five more instruments on stage really fattened up the sound of everything that they did. That many more expert soloists didn't hurt either.
The brass being added to the band did have it's price, though. A number of otherwise remarkable renditions or various songs were marred by the occasional intonation problem. It is the nature of brass instruments in a rock format, that the tuning is sometimes tricky. As Frank has been assessing the results on tape, now that the tour is over, he has had to scuttle a number of otherwise excellent performances for this reason.
Another prominent feature of this band was the inclusion of the Synclavier. Having an idea of what this device can do is one thing. Hearing the result on stage is truly another. I was impressed with how the thing could be utilized for spontaneous things, how it could be "jammed" with. There was also the capability of using the Synclavier to manufacture or process various sounds, and then midi it out to various other instruments. The best was when FZ on Synclavier would do really outside improvisational jamming with the full ensemble involved. Some really unbelievable things resulted from that sort of thing.
New light was shown on veteran members. Scott Thunes was taken from the rear part of the stage and put up front, alongside FZ and Ike, given a wireless set up, and a license to be a complete and total buffoon. I found that not only was he more "entertaining" in this capacity, but I am convinced that it affected his musical abilities as well.
Robert (He used to be known as "Bobby") Martin has taken over the primary keyboard position. I must admit that in past ensembles, I felt he was one of the lesser talents in the band. On this tour, they put him up near stage front and made him responsible for the main keyboard chair. Not only is he a capable soloist, but this tour reveal clear talents of clever buffoonery as well. There was an abundance of lyric mutation on this tour, and while subtlety varied on this, depending on the situation and person mutating, his ability in this arena was outstanding.
As of note was the expanded role of Ed Mann, and the increased latitude ...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rampantbeast
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2009-07-04 18:52   [Quote] 
Thanks clap
 [Profile]  [PM] 
makeajazznoise
Poster
canada.gif
Post 2009-07-06 04:44   [Quote] 
what ever happened to Den? Is he (are you) on here? I assume the house he was building was eventually finished. Where are those last (? 2 ? 3? ) copies of Society Pages?! (jk) LOL

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT

Jump to: