Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1973 10 26 Austin TX 79.38 SBD low gen (CU globual)
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 300 ]

globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 05:49   [Quote] 
Some of you said okay to this (see the Samples from a few days ago) so what the heck, let's have it on the tracker for the newbies.

26-Oct 1973, Armadillo World Headquarters, Austin, TX
80 min, SBD, A+
Cosmik Debris, Inca Roads, Pygmy Twylyte, Idiot Bastard Son, Cheepnis, Big Swifty, San Clemente Magnetic Deviation (world premiere of Dickie's Such An Asshole), Farther Oblivion, Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge

this is a low generation clone, possibly 2nd, maybe 3rd gen. Thanks to Charles Ulrich for supplying the disc.
We are still waiting for MC but in the meantime those who missed any of the four or five recent seedings of this will enjoy the show.
Total time here is 79:38 with 10 tracks altogether.

Lineage: CDR (2nd gen?) -> SoundForge 6.0 (extraction) -> WaveLab (tracking) -> FlacFrontend (level 8)

01 Tuning
02 Cosmik Debris
03 Inca Roads
04 Pygmy Twylyte
05 The Idiot Bastard Son
06 Cheepnis
07 Big Swifty
08 Dickie's Such An Asshole*
09 Farther Oblivion
10 The Mr. Green Genes Medley**

* the world premiere was of course announced as San Clemente Magnetic Deviation but I chose its accepted title.
** I've taken the liberty to alter the title only because the full one may have too many characters for some players.
The medley consists of Son Of Mr Green Genes/King Kong/Chunga's Revenge (plus the Dickie's Such An Asshole reprise).

Also a short note on indexing. I've made some slight adjustments. First, on the CDR all tracks begin with a tiny little gap of 0.008 second (=a tiny click).
I've managed to get rid of those. Second, all track markers are placed at the beginning of music. This works in some cases but no in all.
For example, it makes more sense to start Dickie's Such An Asshole earlier, when FZ announces the premiere and tells about the song.
In some other cases, I moved the markers slightly to include counting off (as it makes less sense to have FZ saying "okay, one two three" at the end of the preceding track).
These, I hope, shouldn't cause any major uprisings in the community.

globual

Last edited by globual on 2006-02-03 04:48; edited 6 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 06:08   [Quote] 
sorry folks. This ain't working. Let me give it a gentle kick
globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2006-01-31 07:29   [Quote] 
Thanks, T.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 07:50   [Quote] 
> Thanks, T.

not yet av. Something screwy here. I may have to redo the whole thing. Any tips on how to remove everything from tracker and register and download it again? I'm using utorrent, the new version. Anyway, it's 11 pm here and "we have to get up early." This kick-starting job will have to wait till tomorrow. Coming soon to an airport near you!

glob
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2006-01-31 08:04   [Quote] 
The torrent is correctly registered...

Download your own torrent, and choose as dowload folder (for the files) the one which contains the folder with the files... e let utooret perform the check.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 08:25   [Quote] 
I get a message that says "Error: files missing." But I just checked all the files in the folder and they're all there and they're working (I can convert flacs back to wav and they play all right). We'll get there folks.

globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 09:19   [Quote] 
all right, we're on. "The name of our first song for tonight folks is Cosmik Debris"

globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ansley
switzerland.gif
Post 2006-01-31 09:45   [Quote] 
its working, thanks globual
 [Profile]  [PM] 
unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2006-01-31 14:26   [Quote] 
Great for newbies or oldies alike Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Almanzart
Power Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 14:46   [Quote] 
Thanks Globual !
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-01-31 16:22   [Quote] 
Quote:
In some other cases, I moved the markers slightly to include counting off (as it makes less sense to have FZ saying "okay, one two three" at the end of the preceding track).

I never include the countdown as then well why not the intro, and we lose the fact that the idea is to mark the start of song. 1,2,3 is not the start. To me it makes less sense to start the song the way you did. Intros are not part of previous song either. So why not start track marker at intro? Same reason, it's nice to know exact start, most other info, the count down, intro and where they are, when they start, is not important. I don't know anybody who wants to know where the countdown starts. But when queing for DJ, or radio, the exact start is extremely important, this is lost here. What you did is mark the end of the previous song, and I have yet to find that info useful. Well not really if intros, then end of song is not marked either. If intros included at start of track mark, they could be 2 seconds or 20 minutes, so again start of song, the true start is not there. Their are times when countdown is the start, as it is important to the song, say like Sgt Peppers by the Beatles. Most time when played, countdown is included. Another item is the false start, do we include false starts? All the above is why not just the Zappa community, but the whole trading community decided to start at the start, not the intro, countdown or false start. False Starts are at times tracked by themselves. It's all judgement. I didn't track Texas Medley as one song, as I differ with this. I don't think the Texas Medley is a medley. But do think The String quartet is a medley, or Orange county, so i do mark them as such. In the end, the track markers have little use for me, so it doesn't really matter to me. I only like them so I know where to restart a listening session as many times I can't listen to whole disc. Let's me know where to resume, and that is about it.
Back to Medley. I always thought a medley was a collection of excerpts from other songs, The Texas Motel Medley is not this, Orange County is.
As for Dickie here on this tape, if I just want to play that song, everytime I'm reminded it is the premeire.
You really can't win with this track mark stuff. No matter where you put it, others would like it in other places.
Thanks for the show!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rdnzl88
usa.gif
Post 2006-01-31 16:29   [Quote] 
Thank You Globual! You can put the markers in the middle of the song and I wouldn't care! I'm just happy to have the music!

I did occur to me however, where would Frank have put the markers? I'd say at the beginning of the reference to a song, whether it be a count, false start or brief intro dialog. Extended raps like the Poodle Lecture is it's own track.

At any rate (like I said), I am just grateful that you guys do so much hard work for nothing but a Thank You in return!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
RDNZL
Contributor
denmark.gif
Contributor
Post 2006-01-31 17:23   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot T Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flower punk
usa.gif
Post 2006-01-31 17:28   [Quote] 
I personally prefer including the counting off in the tracks, I consider it part of the song. Also, I agree that FZ most certainly tracked his live stuff that way as well. Just a matter of personal preference.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
globual
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2006-01-31 18:33   [Quote] 
thanks Drew for your comments on indexing. I was hoping somebody would take up this issue. Let me offer a few thoughts in response to yours.

> I never include the countdown as then well why not the intro, and we lose the fact that the idea is to mark the start of song.

But where exactly is the start of song? Well, sometimes this is less relevant than at other times and often there's no one ultimate solution. I tend to include intros because I believe they contain valuable information about the song itself (contextual relevance), often set the tone for the rest of the song and as such they are part of it. But I am also against standardization and wouldn't want to cue everything just for DJ or radio play.

> 1,2,3 is not the start

it often is. "Approximate" (YCDTOSA 2) starts off with 1, 2, 3; and this must have been important for there's an audible edit between counting off and music and yet both are included as one track. Of course this is track01 so there's no other way around it. But there are other examples too.

> If intros included at start of track mark, they could be 2 seconds or 20 minutes, so again start of song, the true start is not there.

some intros are difficult to distinguish from actual songs. "Dupree's Paradise" is a good example. See, again, YCDTOSA 2. Where else would you insert the marker than where FZ himself did? If the intro is important, there's no other way but to include it. If it is short enough, I don't hesitate to include it, either. In other cases, the best thing is to call your Mothers.

> Another item is the false start, do we include false starts?

Absolutely! See "Montana (Whipping Floss)" on YCDTOSA 2. It would be presumpuous for us to make a judgement as to whether the start is really false or it is already part of the song.

> As for Dickie here on this tape, if I just want to play that song, everytime I'm reminded it is the premeire.

And why shouldn't you? Everytime I want to listen to "Dickie's Such An Asshole" on YCDTOSA 3, I am told to "pass any glasses that are on the table." The song itself doesn't start until 2:17 of that track. So again: where exactly is the start of song?

I take all your points, though, and thank you! This little conversation shows that it's good to discuss these things before seeding. I should have done that.

globual

Last edited by globual on 2006-02-03 04:51; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 7 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: