Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
What good music is around today?
Goto page:  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Farks Zappa
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2009-04-07 23:30   [Quote] 

Last edited by Farks Zappa on 2018-03-23 15:04; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-04-08 00:01   [Quote] 
You might like Tool, I myself do not care for them. Porcupine Tree, I do like them. Progressive rock, following the genre like yourself, younger (probably late twenties-early thirties in age) then most prog groups. Check out The Muffins for sure, older group, but great prog shit. Not heavy, like Weather Report a lot. In jazz Medeski Martin and Wood, better to see live. More traditional jazz with modern twist. Retro instruments like the melotron, but John Medeski cut it open to control pitch with his hand. Plays the old hammmond organism, piano and melotron (what Fripp used to use, think Court of the Crimson King drone sound). California Guitar Trio, amazing! Anything with Trey Gunn!! other also Ween, Mike Patton, Buckethead.
I'm stuck in my generation for the most part, I'm 52. Of the new artists, well fairly new, the above is what i like. Really none are that new. But all next generation to what you mention.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wieh9995
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-08 00:59   [Quote] 
I really like Gov't Mule. Although they've been around for 14 years now I still classify them as 'new'. Their live shows are available for download, a good mix of old blues, original tunes and new versions of very good songs. Another band I have come to love over the last 10 years or so is Pearl Jam. Not so much for their studio stuff but for the live shows, the range of music played live I find refeshing. About all that comes to mind for the last 15-20 years that I listen to a lot. There are many 'club' size bands that I have come to love but they're not mainstream, so to speak, being small their recordings tend to be on the cruder side and as such hard to appreciate.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-04-08 02:25   [Quote] 
I like Mule too, southern blues rock, and great at it. It's sad. between 1965 and 1975 so much was going on. before and after for a bit too, but that decade, has so much to offer. Today so little, as music is more wallpaper for your drone life. When i was a kid, it was everything but that. Music reflects our culture, and it is no longer rich.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
makeajazznoise
Poster
canada.gif
Post 2009-04-08 02:36   [Quote] 
check out Richard Bona

BrotherA.West
netherlands.gif
Post 2009-04-08 07:30   [Quote] 
Check out Joe Satriani and Buckethead.

You cannot wake up a man who is pretending to sleep.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
arf
Poster
france.gif
Post 2009-04-08 07:45   [Quote] 
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

Last edited by arf on 2009-04-08 10:02; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rael20
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-08 08:42   [Quote] 
Certainly not a new band, but 'They Might Be Giants' is easily my favorite band that currently records new material and tours. Their last few records are some of the best stuff they've done in the 20+ years they've been together. They're probably closer linked musically to 'The Beatles' than to FZ or the 70's jazz-fusion many of us here are into, but they have a similar irreverent sense of humor that Frank had. Lots of brilliant songs (especially those penned by John Linnell, who is a musical genius imo) and a great sense of melody. Besides that, it's slim pickins these days.

kidkeneally
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-08 17:36   [Quote] 
Try these guys http://slimpickins.org/

[Profile]  [PM] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-08 18:26   [Quote] 
Check out the Acid Mothers Temple. Imagine if Jerry Garcia went on a sabbatical to Japan, then started doing speed. They're native to Japan, but usually tour the US each year - and a "supergroup" will be at this year's Zappanale, featuring the Acid Mothers' excellent, out-of-control guitarist, for all our European friends ROCK!!

Here is one of the AMT shows I recorded last year, at least give Pink Lady Lemonade a go and see what you think.

You might also like moe. - they're mellow, for the most part, but will occasionally veer off into more dissonant, experimental jams. Always worth the ticket price, in my experience - though it must be said that their opening acts are nearly always horrible. They also have a LOT of live material on Archive.org - over 1,000 shows and counting. Check the 9/14/2001 show out, for starters. Skip through the silly "America Rah Rah" bits here and there (this was their first post-9/11 show, and they're from New York, so I suppose they're allowed a little leeway) - this is still a kick-ass show. The Faker > Interstellar Overdrive > Meat section - heavenly. At times you could almost think you're listening to the original PF.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
voodoostrat
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-08 18:53   [Quote] 
A real good live set on the CROZFM site with Jeff Beck, Colaiuta at Ronnie Scotts. I would highly recommend this one. I like the guitar stuff. Bireli Lagrene and Stochello Rosenberg play their ass off in the Django tradition. Vernon Reid is always interesting. Vai. Keneally has some great stuff, I really love the piano reductions album he did for Vai. Billy Cobham's Spectrum album is great. I guess i'm sort of like Drew in that I'm kinda of locked into my generation or tend to go back and explore the older stuff because there is so much of it. Return to Forever was a classic. The Miles stuff with McLaughlin or Stern I like. Dream Theater still tour, all great musicians, they are somewhat progy, metal. Really like Melvin Taylor out of Chicago. He's hardcore electric blues, kinda Jimi meets SRV meets Santana meets Veron Reid, a great player who is kinda under the radar. Michael Schenker in the early days with UFO. If you listen to any of the NWOBHM bands from the late 70's early 80's they were influenced by UFO, Deep Purple, Sabbath. If you lister to Kirk Hammett play he quotes alot of Schenker. My favs are Jimi, FZ, and Vai. Sorry I can't help with more current stuff. I only listen to Jazz stations or talk on the radio otherwise it's CD's at home and ipod on the go.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-04-08 20:24   [Quote] 
Faith No More
Jane's Addiction
 [Profile]  [PM] 
audihaun
Poster
Post 2009-04-08 22:05   [Quote] 
These are not exactly modern artists, but you can catch them delivering brilliant, probably modern performances:
Living Colour , Vernon Reid side projects
Jean Paul Bourelly (excellent guitar player)
University of Errors
Adrian Belew's Power Trio
James Blood Ulmer
Bill Laswell
Pharoah Sanders
Frogg Cafe
Ozric Tentacles
Gong (still going strong, will join the japanese gang as Acid Mothers Gong at next Zappanale !)

some classics (modern for the next 1000 years):
Can (many good live recordings from 1969 to 1975 around)
Sun Ra
Man
Soft Machine
Miles Davis (there are a lot of fine DVDs from the 90s !)

jookeyman
Post 2009-04-08 22:58   [Quote] 
audihaun wrote:
These are not exactly modern artists, but you can catch them delivering brilliant, probably modern performances:
Living Colour , Vernon Reid side projects
Jean Paul Bourelly (excellent guitar player)
University of Errors
Adrian Belew's Power Trio
James Blood Ulmer
Bill Laswell
Pharoah Sanders
Frogg Cafe
Ozric Tentacles
Gong (still going strong, will join the japanese gang as Acid Mothers Gong at next Zappanale !)

some classics (modern for the next 1000 years):
Can (many good live recordings from 1969 to 1975 around)
Sun Ra
Man
Soft Machine
Miles Davis (there are a lot of fine DVDs from the 90s !)

Yes, Blood Ulmer for whacked out avant-garde jazz guitar.
Early Living Colour. The earlier the better. More whacked out avant-garde shred music w/ a touch of funk.
Can. Tago Mago is the best one to get IMO.

Newer bands? Happy Apple is the best avant-garde jazz band in my book. Think Art Blakely meets Jaco Pastorius on acid meets Ornette Coleman.

jookeyman
 [Profile]  [PM] 
dfedj
canada.gif
Post 2009-04-08 23:26   [Quote] 
Try the Mothers. They're pretty cool. I think Frank played with them for a few years.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 11 Goto page:  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: