Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Notes in little house I used to live in
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Synclavier
usa.gif
Post 2009-03-30 18:35   [Quote] 
How do you play the main theme?
and this part here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhSLPveP9PI&feature=channel_page
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-01 09:44   [Quote] 
Which theme are you referring to, and from which version of the piece?

Is it the theme that comes in after the piano intro in BWS, or the intro in the Filmore version? Or is it another theme that you're thinking of?

Either way, the notes for the section on the YouTube video sound about right to me.

Synclavier
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-02 00:36   [Quote] 
strictly bws. That's my video, I think I got a few notes wrong but I'm not sure. The theme I was referring to is right after the piano part, I can get the beginning and end by ear but the legato type part confuses me. The way Keyboard and guitar parts play in unison with vibes and marimbas or whatever kinda throws me off sometimes. That's my video, I think I got a few notes wrong but I'm not sure...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-02 08:31   [Quote] 
In that case, the theme you're looking for goes something like the following (the numbers in brackets represent the duration in eighth notes/quavers):

A(1) D(1) G(1) A(2) F#(3) | E(1) F#(1) E(1) D(2) C(3) |
A(1) D(1) G(1) A(2) F#(3) | E(1) F#(1) E(1) D(5) |

I'm posting from work, without the recording to hand, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct pitch and duration values. The second time round, the final D is played up an octave.

[edit] Forgot to say - there's a little grace note run into the E in bars 2 and 4. The notes of that are G and F#, so as a guitarist, it would be a double pull-off from G to F# to E (8p7p5 on the B string).

Hope this helps! Text isn't the best medium for getting notes across, so I'll try to remote in to my home PC later and post an image with the notes.

Mosschops

Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-02 21:24   [Quote] 
You can view my transcription of the theme here:

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/jh8464/LittleHouseThemeII.png

[edit] added a bit more to the transcription

Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-07 12:32   [Quote] 
Come on Zappateers! I thought at least one person would have pointed out my mistake in the 11/8 section by now...

I'll amend and upload my transcription later this week, once I'm done essaying on a piece of Schubert Lieder (really!). sleepy

Synclavier
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-11 19:45   [Quote] 
Mosschops wrote:
Come on Zappateers! I thought at least one person would have pointed out my mistake in the 11/8 section by now...

I'll amend and upload my transcription later this week, once I'm done essaying on a piece of Schubert Lieder (really!). sleepy

i suppose this is one of the titles that they neglected.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Paolo
Busy Poster
italy.gif
Post 2009-04-14 09:51   [Quote] 
Actually, I always thought of that section as a 3/4 melody over a 11/8 background, rather than a plain 11/8. And to match what's on the record, you should at least add a 1/8 rest before the first high C# of the melody. Also, the following section should be noted as 3/2 IMO, and I also think that the gruppetti in the first section should be written as real 16th notes at the end of the previous measure.

At least some of us are sheet-music freaks! Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-14 10:10   [Quote] 
Well, the essay on Schubert Lieder is in the post today, so I can now spend a little while looking at the transcription again before moving on to my next assignment, which does have a slight Zappa link.

I now have to essay on the portrayal of 'Gypsies' as an exotic element in Bizet's Carmen, using of course the famous Habanera (Chanson Boheme), amongst other elements. Not only did Frank quote it in We're Turning Again, but in Big Swifty (1988 arrangements) too...

And at least you've got a suitable avatar for the discussion Paolo Smile

I think I hear what you're saying about the gruppetti, and I'll look at that again. I might choose to elaborate the 11/8 section by writing the melody in 3/4 (it is a lead sheet after all), but including some dotted barlines to delineate where the 11/8 falls.

The section where the 'Duke' theme returns... hmm - does feel better in 3/2 doesn't it? Matches the phrasing better, and emphasises the resting points. Would also make sense to be interpreted as a 3/4 melody flowing into a half-time feel section (in 3/2).

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-04-14 11:21   [Quote] 
Mosschops wrote:
I now have to essay on the portrayal of 'Gypsies' as an exotic element in Bizet's Carmen, using of course the famous Habanera (Chanson Boheme), amongst other elements. Not only did Frank quote it in We're Turning Again, but in Big Swifty (1988 arrangements) too...

A partial list: <http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/songs/Carmen.html>

And let me also put in a plug for Biffy's Little House I Used To Live In comparison <http://members.shaw.ca/francescoz/biffyshrew/house.html>.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-14 12:52   [Quote] 
Ah yes - The fabled Elephant Shrew! Haven't seen or heard anything from Biffy in quite some time (unless he happens to be floating about these boards under a different pseudonym?).

If I hear any other quotes of the Habanera/Chanson Boheme from Carmen, I'll certainly let people know. Especially since Carmen is one of the set works that I'm studying this year, and I've got the score reasonably well assimilated by now...

Just in case anyone gives a rodent's behind, some of the other works I've got to get sorted out this year are Tristan and Isolde [Wagner], Samson [Handel], Winterreise [Schubert] and Les Noces [Stravinsky]. Working with the scores helps, but it does make a hefty dent in the pocket (Les Noces costs around 120 euro for the Chester study score, but it is supposed to be a kind of Urtext edition)! Thank heavens the older pieces are available at lesser prices through the Dover reprints of old editions. You just have to watch out for the mis-prints (and Winterreise has some howlers in there).

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-04-14 17:52   [Quote] 
Mosschops wrote:
Ah yes - The fabled Elephant Shrew! Haven't seen or heard anything from Biffy in quite some time (unless he happens to be floating about these boards under a different pseudonym?).

He posted today on affz.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-23 21:06   [Quote] 
Mosschops wrote:
If I hear any other quotes of the Habanera/Chanson Boheme from Carmen, I'll certainly let people know. Especially since Carmen is one of the set works that I'm studying this year, and I've got the score reasonably well assimilated by now...

I'm confused. You're talking about the Habanera and Chanson Boheme as though they are the same piece (which they are not), and Charles's list is of Toreador Song quotes. How many numbers from Carmen did Zappa quote?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mosschops
uk.gif
Post 2009-04-24 12:02   [Quote] 
doublebassy wrote:
Mosschops wrote:

I'm confused. You're talking about the Habanera and Chanson Boheme as though they are the same piece (which they are not), and Charles's list is of Toreador Song quotes. How many numbers from Carmen did Zappa quote?

Apologies, The Habanera is what I'm referring to. It's the number starting with Carmen singing "L'amour est un oiseau rebelle", not the first number of Act II, correctly called the Chanson Boheme. I'm studying sections of the work at a time, so the titles are a little jumbled in my head right now!!

I don't believe that Charle's list is of the Toreador song though, as I can't recall this being quoted in Big Swifty or We're Turning Again. The Toreador song is the third number of the Second Act (and is prefigured in the prelude), to the words "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre - Toreador, en garde!" I believe Charle's list is of the Habanera.

Hope this clears up the confusion!

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-04-24 14:22   [Quote] 
Uncultured as I am, I only know the English lyrics.

"I've lost my shirt/I've lost my shirt/I can't be happy without my shirt" = Habanera?

"I've got my shirt/Thank god I've got my shirt" = Toreador?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: