Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
CB Shiny Beast Backing Tracks - 1978 CD 52.36 (jazzfan)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner On The Tracker
DL-List
Complete: [ 273 ]
Cancel: [ 2 ]

jazzfan
Post 2009-03-14 00:06   [Quote] 
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Shiny Beast Basic Tracks

Studio Sessions
The Automatt, San Francisco, California
June 6 - August 27, 1978

Another rarity from our friend who wants to stay anonymous.
Same story as with The Spotlight Kid Outtakes: at first the tapes were made for a former band member in order to learn the tunes. Our guy got his tape directly from him, transferred the tapes to CDR using a stand alone CD burner.
Thank you very much again to Mr. Anonymous!

01. Tropical Hot Dog Night (Version 1) (4:39:39)
02. Run Paint, Run Run (4:16:07)
03. You Know You're A Man (3:27:55)
04. When I See Mummy (Version 1) (5:34:34)
05. Candle Mambo (3:39:07)
06. Floppy Boot Stomp (4:21:02)
07. Brickbats (3:38:51)
08. Bat Chain Puller (4:43:23)
09. Owed T'Alex (4:10:25)
10. Love Lies (5:04:71)
11. When I See Mummy (Version 2) (5:12:23)
12. Tropical Hot Dog Night (Version 2) (2:48:62) cut

Lineage: Studio->1st gen tape->2nd gen tape->Fostex X-1 Portastudio->CDR->CDR->FLAC Level 6

Total length: 52:36:34

Line-Up:
Don Van Vliet: vocals, tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, harmonica, whistling
Eric Drew Feldman: bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizer
Bruce Fowler: trombone, air-bass
Robert Williams: drums, percussion
Richard Josef Redus: guitar, slide guitar, slide bass, accordion
Jeff Moris Tepper: guitar, slide-guitar
Art Tripp: marimba, additional percussion (on: Tropical Hot Dog Night)

Producer: Don Van Vliet, Pete Johnson
Engineer: Glen Kolotkin, assisted by: Jeffrey Norman

Comments:
Scott McFarland: During your time, were any members of the band especially active at 'translating' Don's instructions or raw music out to members of the band? Can you describe how the process worked?
Robert Williams: Don dictated each part to each musician on an individual basis. Some drum beats were written by having me emulate the sound of windshield wipers recorded on his portable cassette recorder. Other beats were recordings that he had made of a set of keys hitting the floor or a five gallon water bottle with the bubbles rising ... : "Bloop babloop buddella bloop", or him singing into his recorder: "Bum chicka a do bop dweep boing, diddelly doop, plop plop fizz fizz".
And oh what a relief it was to see it all come together like pieces in a puzzle. The guitar parts were mostly written by him whistling. He usually played the keyboards himself as Eric recorded it to learn later. Sheriff Of Hong Kong was written on the piano by Don. The left hand was doubled with bass guitar, the right doubled with the guitar. I had recorded a drum part for that song which Don showed me by playing the drums but ended up having John French replace it. John did that by reading the bass part while he improvised on the drums. Of course I had to learn that six minute and thirty three second improvisation for the tour. It took some time to memorize but it was actually a much better part than the one Don had given me to play originally.
Scott McFarland: How long did that band have to develop & rehearse the songs, and how long to do the recording sessions?
Robert Williams: Our rehearsals lasted months upon months. Most of the time we rehearsed without pay just because we all wanted it to sound as tight as possible. Jeff Tepper and I used to get together and I'd repeat a verse or chorus over and over so he could really zero in on his part. When I first joined the band Eric (not really a drummer) showed me the basic mechanics of a beat we referred to as "Picaro Pete" which appeared in many of Don's earlier compositions. It sounds just like the name. Try to spot it next time you listen to Trout Mask. The recording sessions usually took a week of live tracking, a week of over dubs and vocals, and a week of mixing.
Scott McFarland: Was Don difficult to work with?
Robert Williams: He was a big pain in the window. All he wanted to do was blabber and smoke. If I were to accidentally closed my high hat while reaching for something in the middle of his endless bullshitting he'd scream at me accusing me of putting tin foil in his radar. On other occasions he'd be thinking of a part for the keyboards or something and accuse someone in the room of having too much to think so he'd point at each guy and say, "It's not you, it's not you, it's not you, and it's not you, but he knows who he is!" Of course the person he didn't point at would be the scapegoat of the day. Most of the time he'd pick on me. One day I pulled him aside and told him that I perform much better when he's nice to me and he said, "Hey man, I just do it to you because you can take it. These other guys would fall apart and shrivel away if I did it to them. Do you know what I mean, man? I mean, do you? I mean, I need that tension man! Besides I was only teasing." Don was a genius when it came to getting us to do what he wanted and what he wanted was often very demanding. On the other hand when it came to paying us he automatically turned into an idiot who couldn't count to three. It makes me laugh to think of it now.
(Scott McFarland: WAIT FOR ME! Robert Williams Pants Out. Private source. Early 1997)

Don Van Vliet: I'm totally happy with this album. I just had a blast, and I mean a blast, doing it. Glen Kolotkin, the engineer, is just brilliant. This is the first time you can hear my voice the way it really is. Glen did Stravinsky's last record. I've always used my voice as an instrument but these people never realized that. What a job he did. When I heard Bat Chain Puller it just knocked me down. He got my voice the way it is. You know what I mean?
(Billy Altman: Captain Beefheart Knows He's A Man. Creem, April 1979)

jazzfan 2009-03-14

Last edited by jazzfan on 2009-03-18 09:00; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hothcanada
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2009-03-14 00:29   [Quote] 
this is a nice roll you're on here.......thanks for continuing it!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zeeker
Power Poster
Post 2009-03-14 00:33   [Quote] 
Wow!! Ultra-cool! Thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hothcanada
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2009-03-14 01:05   [Quote] 
this must be good.......even Tina Turner is downloading it!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BluesFan
usa.gif
Post 2009-03-14 03:17   [Quote] 
Most excellent.

Thanking you muchly.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oldmustang
usa.gif
Post 2009-03-14 03:18   [Quote] 
Thank you!

Steve Z

tranehead
usa.gif
Post 2009-03-14 03:27   [Quote] 
this is interesting to see the "new" sources coming out.
ok, i'll add some mystery...
i have over 4 hours of material FROM WARNERS DATs that are referenced as "Christmas with the Captain".
they are IN house dats, from approx 1990.
Created by Kaiser and my WB source who will go un-named.
all the spotlight kid, lick my decals and even the Ingbar blues tape are included.
listed here as the "Delta Don" session!
Just like the amazing WB Van Morrison unreleased sessions tapes, these were created to actually come out, but then got shelved.
Long forgotten about, at one point, I 'Donated' them mistakenly to the 'fat santa wizardo bootlegger asshole' for supposed official release around 98.
These dats have never been circulated to my knowledge.
ive been following all the "remasters" etc. that have been seeded here and DIME etc. and this seed and the previous, dontated from 'anonymous'...wondering if my DAT versions have leaked...seems not so...yet!
as listed, these seem to be from alt. KNOWN source, so... 'let the tigers run free' i say!
i'll add what i can, and/or upgrade soon.
here only.
the wind blows for weird....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zeeker
Power Poster
Post 2009-03-14 04:46   [Quote] 
Thanks again jazzfan & Mr. Anonymous, the Lick My Decals & Shiny Beast tracks sans vocals are among the coolest things I have heard in, like, forever. Just the way I have always wanted to hear them.

The date in the torrent's title needs correcting, though, doesn't it? Should read 1978 rather than 1972.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jazzfan
Post 2009-03-14 06:18   [Quote] 
[quote="zeeker"]Thanks again jazzfan & Mr. Anonymous, the Lick My Decals & Shiny Beast tracks sans vocals are among the coolest things I have heard in, like, forever. Just the way I have always wanted to hear them.

The date in the torrent's title needs correcting, though, doesn't it? Should read 1978 rather than 1972.[/quote]

You are right, it was 1978.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
_sibbz_
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2009-03-14 07:03   [Quote] 
interesting stuff, thank you for these!

BTW it would be wise to let people who are downloading know the folder and text files of this torrent have bad dates too.

just a little service Wink

jazzfan
Post 2009-03-14 07:36   [Quote] 
[quote="sibbz"]interesting stuff, thank you for these!

BTW it would be wise to let people who are downloading know the folder and text files of this torrent have bad dates too.

just a little service :wink:[/quote]

- folder should be renamed after d/l. The tracks were recorded in 1978 (not 1972).
- text file of the torrent is already correct.

Sorry for the inconveniences.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-03-15 08:57   [Quote] 
Thanks very much to all involved. This is a real treat. SB was my first CB album and still one of my favorites.

Some more service: I removed some digital clicks and the 4 seconds silence between the tracks.

tunes

[Profile]  [PM] 
travis bickle
Post 2009-03-16 00:42   [Quote] 
Great, thank you.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-03-17 21:06   [Quote] 
Thank you - nice karaoke versions! clap
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
hotrats2
usa.gif
Post 2009-04-04 20:14   [Quote] 
Absolutely the best stuff, thanks so much, this is my fav period and its great to have these made available to the fans, thanks to Mr. Anonymous and to you as well sir.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner On The Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: