Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1971 Just Another Band From LA 2nd LP remaster 48.30 (craymcla)
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased
DL-List
Complete: [ 300 ]

craymcla
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 15:36   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
"Just Another Band From L.A.", second (unreleased) LP
Remastered Edition

This is a remastered version of this post: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2321

Frank Zappa had originally envisioned "Just Another Band From L.A." as a double album.
Acetates of this album were pressed and given to the band members. For whatever reasons,
plans for that 2 LP set were abandoned and they went with the single LP that we know
and love.

A significant difference in "Billy the Mountain" was that Zappa removed an 8:51 section of
singing and solos in order to fit it onto a single side of an LP. The 33:38 original was
now only 24:47.

I've taken the circulating copy of that second LP and tried to improve it somewhat. Using
iZotope's RX, I applied moderate declicking to remove some of the clicks and crackles from
the acetate copy. (It was actually fairly clean already.) I also removed a low level
15735Hz VHS HiFi modulation signal (indicating that the acetate was probably recorded onto
a VHS recorder). I then used iZotope's Ozone 3 to more closely match the acetate's EQ to
that of the Rykodisc CD.

Most importantly though, I've also created an extract from "Billy the Mountain Pt. 2" of
just the material cut from the original version. Those comfortable with audio editors
can simply drop this extract into the released version to recreate the full length track.
Because of the EQ matching, the edit is near seamless. Notes on how to do this are below.

Lineage: acetate > VHS recorder(?) > ??? > FLAC > WAV (Adobe Audition) > FLAC

Track List:

1. Studebaker Hoch~Billy The Mountain Pt.2 [RM] 13:57
2. The Subcutaneous Peril (1971-10-11) [RM] 5:19
3. An Easy Substitute For Eternity Itself (1971-10-11) [RM] 20:23
4. Billy The Mountain (extract) 8:51

"Billy the Mountain" was recorded on August 7, 1971, at Pauley Pavilion, UCLA, CA.
"The Subcutaneous Peril" and "An Easy Substitute" were recorded at Carnegie Hall on
October 11, 1971.

From Zappa's notes, this is what the original intended album would have looked like.

Side One
1. "Call Any Vegetable" (Zappa) 7:22
2. "Eddie, Are You Kidding?" (Kaylan, Seiler, Volman, Zappa) 3:09
3. "Magdalena" (Kaylan, Zappa) 6:24
4. "Dog Breath" (Zappa) 3:37

Side Two
1. "Billy the Mountain" (Zappa) 19:41

Side Three
1. "Billy the Mountain" (cont.) 13:57
Studebacher Hoch
The Conclusion
2. "The Subcutaneous Peril" (Zappa) 5:19

Side Four
1. "An Easy Substitute For Eternity Itself" (Zappa, Preston, Underwood, Dunbar, Pons) 20:23
Don's Solo
Ian's Solo
Aynsley's Solo
Frank's Solo

For completists, three additional tracks from Pauley Pavilion have been released:
* "Divan" (1:46) on Playground Psychotics
* "The Groupie Routine" (5:41) on YCDTOSA Vol. 1
* "200 Motels Finale" (3:43) on YCDTOSA Vol. 6
"Lonesome Cowbody Nano" a composite from Pauley Pavilion and a 1988 show is also
on YCDTOSA Vol. 6

*==> Recreating "Billy the Mountain" <==*

All that needs to be done is to locate the edit point in the official track and copy the
new insert, "4 - Billy The Mountain (extract).flac" into the track at that point. In my
copy, that occurs in the Studebacher Hock section at 20:49:14314. It is IMMEDIATELY before
the words, "I don't know". If inserted properly, this will be a seamless edit. As part of
this post, I have included six screen shots showing tighter and tighter zooms on the edit
point so you can see EXACTLY where the new insert needs to go. I use Adobe Audition, but
Audacity, an excellent free, open source, cross-platform audio editor, does the job equally
well.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Last edited by craymcla on 2017-04-22 18:36; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 15:44   [Quote] 
I recently downloaded Audacity but haven't tried it yet. This seems like the perfect opportunity. Thanks for all your work.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 16:06   [Quote] 
Thanks for your work

cheers

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 16:09   [Quote] 
The source of this is a friend of mine, TB. I think the hum comes from interference, not VHS. His set up near the end of his trading days was really poor. I have been trying to secure tapes from him, and this is another I will ask about. They are lost in a sea of boxes, and I asked to borrow a number of tapes. I will eventually get them.
If you could for future remasters contact me, to make sure you have best available source. I think i could have upgraded this one. Although that hum is probably there too.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
craymcla
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 16:26   [Quote] 
drew51
Thanks for the offer, Drew51. This one actually sounds pretty darn good. The only problem is that there is a little bit of analog distortion. I'd be happy to do this again to an upgraded version though. Everything I did in the remastering process was documented and saved as presets, so it would be relatively simple to reapply them to another tape.

You may be right about the hum, but it is at EXACTLY the frequency of a VHS modulation signal. As you may know, before DAT recorders came along, some people would record audio to a HiFi VHS recorder because of the superior specs compared to tape. At 15.735kHz, the modulation signal is inaudible, but I wanted to take it out so that it didn't screw up the EQ matching that I did.

Last edited by craymcla on 2009-01-28 16:43; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2009-01-28 16:31   [Quote] 
Even though we're not normally into remastering here, a little project like this may be the exception which confirms the rule Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 16:41   [Quote] 
I will check it out, and hopefully TB can come through with something in the future. I do have a copy from him, but doing that one, only to get one less gen down the road, we will once again have to revisit. Let's stop here till TB sends the tape to my doorstep.
I myself would like to see remasters, even a forum for them. The remastered bastards forum Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TFEC
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 16:49   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
I myself would like to see remasters, even a forum for them. The remastered bastards forum Smile

I was just thinking the same thing last night. A remasters forum would be great.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 16:54   [Quote] 
I see DTS remasters and other types really wanted in the future. I recently picked up the Rolling Stones on King Biscuit mastered to quad DTS and wow!! The full depth of the recording is really revealed in this method. The audience cheers on the back speakers, awesome shit man.
A good example is 1988 04 16 where we have three awesome versions! Making a 6 channel DTS recording, and placing the taper on the right, to the right side, and taper to the left on the left, and the third recording based in the center, on 6 speakers, all 6 tracks, you will fricking close your eyes, and your once again be in the audience with full room depth and all, yes, this would be fantastic!
I also would like to see a raw forum, where people can up there raw masters, and we can work on, or leave alone whatever. I think both forums would be used a lot.
The raw forum be like a full sample forum. Short interviews and such are such a bitch to sample.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
craymcla
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 16:56   [Quote] 
BengoFury
Regarding remastering, what I was really setting out to do was recreate the full-length version of BTM. The EQ matching was necessary for it to be a seamless edit. I could have just posted the excerpt, but I decided to just apply the same EQ changes to the other tracks as well. Actually, I had to do individual tweaking on each of them, rather than applying the exact same EQ to all three. What you end up with is a set of tracks that sound more consistent EQ-wise, with a slightly brighter and open sound than the original.

You can still hear where the edit kicks in if you listen closely because the mix is slightly different. That's not surprising since the acetate was surely an early mix. That would explain why I had to adjust the EQ differently for each track if they had not been mastered to sound consistently the same yet.

Last edited by craymcla on 2009-01-28 17:05; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ivester
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 17:05   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
I see DTS remasters and other types really wanted in the future. I recently picked up the Rolling Stones on King Biscuit mastered to quad DTS and wow!! The full depth of the recording is really revealed in this method. The audience cheers on the back speakers, awesome shit man.
A good example is 1988 04 16 where we have three awesome versions! Making a 6 channel DTS recording, and placing the taper on the right, to the right side, and taper to the left on the left, and the third recording based in the center, on 6 speakers, all 6 tracks, you will fricking close your eyes, and your once again be in the audience with full room depth and all, yes, this would be fantastic!

You've certainly got my vote for a remaster forum, esp. if quad/DTS could be accomplished by matrixing multiple recordings. Or maybe even DVD Audio surround if the source is analog to begin with. Yummy, yummy!

And also too, thanks to the poster for this excellent remaster right here and now.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-28 17:21   [Quote] 
Quote:
Or maybe even DVD Audio surround

This is also certainly an option and ton's of examples are out there if you look.
Their is a quad blog, pretty cool shit man! I just obtained Aqualung in DVD-A quad.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 18:35   [Quote] 
What's the difference between Tracks 1(1. Studebaker Hoch~Billy The Mountain Pt.2 [RM] 13:57 ) and Track4(4. Billy The Mountain (extract) 8:51 ) ?
Thanks for sharing and the tech advice!!

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 18:46   [Quote] 
Stucco Holmes wrote:
What's the difference between Tracks 1(1. Studebaker Hoch~Billy The Mountain Pt.2 [RM] 13:57 ) and Track4(4. Billy The Mountain (extract) 8:51 ) ?

I think he mentions it - track 4 is an edit with only the material not included on the official JABFLA.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-28 18:54   [Quote] 
I see what you mean now...just had to read a little bit more. Thanks pbuzby. You know I actually did this a few years ago when a friend gave me the extra material from STG, I think is where it came from anyway. If I recall it came out okay, but I think I am going to do it one mo again with this version as well.Always fun to play with editing software!!( Thanks for that uni!!)

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 4 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Outtakes/Unreleased All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: