Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1979 11 19 WPIX NYC FZ as Bogus DJ 114.44 FM Mono MC (Yojimbo)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows
DL-List
Complete: [ 181 ]

Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-03 00:13   [Quote] 
Artist: Frank Zappa
WPIX, NYC, NY FZ as DJ
Date: November 19th 1979
Source: FM (MONO)

Happy New Year folks! Presented here in mono is a very clean and complete copy of the first of four consecutive broadcasts on WPIX-FM NYC (now WRXP) with FZ as "temporary bogus disc jockey". We will be seeding the following three nights in mono from this same source in the near future. In addition, there are also alternate sources of these broadcasts that, while not as clean as this copy, are in stereo and will also be seeded at a later date. Drew kindly shared his mono copy that is already on the tracker. However, this version is an upgrade.

Some of the features here besides the very clean sound (albeit mono), are most of the stereo sources are incomplete, ending after Regyptian Strut. There was one cut on this tape that a fill could not be found for. The Talking Heads "Air" has a cut at around 1:30 sec into the song. Throughout the series, FZ plays tracks from Joe's Garage which would have been new at the time, as well as tracks from Lather & Warts 'N All. There are some contemporary hits of the day but also several obscure tracks. Most of them have been identified but there will be a few here and there that any identification from the Zappateers community would be appreciated.

Track 24 is one such case. The female vocal madness sounds similar to the voice heard on the B-side of an obscure single from New Jersey-based Steel Tips, but definitely not the same track as I own the single. (You will all hear the A-side of this single when we seed the November 21 broadcast.) The voice on the Steel Tips recordings belongs to Karen Ann Ooch. I wrote to her husband (former Steel Tips drummer and now a Comic writer here in Jersey) to see if he could identify the track, but have not heard back from him. **NOTE: Blackpage has identified this track for us. I have corrected below.**

I decided to break down the broadcast into multiple tracks to help isolate FZ's commentary. Why we're all here right? In doing so, it has created many tracks some very short. Hopefully, everyone will appreciate the reasoning there. As the week goes on FZ becomes more loose in his presentation, cross-fading and over-lapping songs, interrupting tracks, playing multiple songs at once. This makes the tracking a bit more difficult. In the end though, it is a fun week of listening and a trip back in time. Remember the Iran/U.S. hostage crisis? How about the Chrysler bailout and resurrection by Lee Iacocca? Gold Rush '79!

Thanks Yojimbo for providing the tapes!

Overnitefreak

**NOTE: If you plan to burn this to CD's, I suggest the split after track 29 on disc 1. This will give you about 57mins on each disc.**

Lineage: FM Master->CDR (standalone burner)->EAC->wav->FLAC Frontend lvl 7

Taped by: unknown
Transferred by: Yojimbo
Edited by: Overnitefreak

Tracklist:
01 radio announcement_1 0:04
02 Gangsters - The Specials 2:44
03 FZ introduction 0:09
04 Gerry & The Holograms - Gerry & The Holograms 2:24
05 FZ PSA_1 0:28
06 Let Me Take You To The Beach - FZ 2:33
07 FZ announcement_1 0:03
08 Rangehn - Nina Hagen 3:18
09 TV Drink - The Jets 1:09
10 FZ PSA_2 0:30
11 commercial break_1 1:55
12 FZ weather report 0:32
13 Tough On You - The Plastics 1:07
14 Unbeschreiblich Weiblich - Nina Hagen 3:29
15 I Live In A Car - U.K. Subs 1:21
16 Bamboozled By Love (pt.1) - FZ 2:58
17 news read over Bamboozled By Love solo - FZ 1:22
18 Bamboozled By Love (pt.2) - FZ 2:00
19 I Ain't Got No Heart - FZ 2:08
20 Easy Meat - FZ 10:15
21 commercial break_2 2:02
22 He's The Groove - Snooky Tate 2:10
23 Catholic Girls - FZ 3:58
24 Animal Instincts - Model Citizens 1:27
25 FZ announcement_2 0:07
26 commercial break_3 1:44
27 Marry Me - Robert and Johnny 2:41
28 Summertime Blues - The Flying Lizards 2:29
29 radio announcement_2 0:09
30 I'm The Man - Joe Jackson 3:17
31 FZ announcement_3 0:28
32 news read over Cars - Gary Numan 1:31
33 FZ reads the news & weather 1:07
34 Heiss - Nina Hagen 2:56
35 He Used To Cut The Grass - FZ 7:31
36 Money - The Flying Lizards 1:55
37 Naturtraene - Nina Hagen 3:37
38 commercial break_4 0:57
39 Regyptian Strut - FZ 4:06
40 FZ reads commercials 0:56
41 news report_2 1:13
42 FZ reads the news again 0:45
43 Air - Talking Heads 2:38 []cut@ 1:30 music missing
44 Let Me Give You Money - The Pipes 1:59
45 Gidget Goes To Hell - Suburban Lawns 1:51
46 FZ announcement_4 0:08
47 commercial break_5 2:02
48 weather update 0:54
49 FZ announcement_5 0:06
50 I Want Sex - The Reactors 1:45
51 Smart Boys - Starjets 3:21
52 Stay - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons 1:31
53 Does It Really Matter Irene? - Mothmen 2:27
54 Manish Boy - Muddy Waters 3:51
55 commercial break_6 2:05
56 FZ signs off 0:10
57 What Kind Of Fool - The Tams 1:43
58 news & closing 0:13 [ cuts off

Total time: 114:44

2009-01-02 Zappateers Happy New Year!

Last edited by Overnitefreak on 2009-02-22 20:30; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
velvetgrass
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-03 02:00   [Quote] 
Lots of thanks to Yojimbo and Overnitefreak.

Overnitefreak wrote:
43 Air - Talking Heads 2:38 []cut@ 1:30 music missing

Since I'm only 15, i don't know a lot of the other songs FZ plays. Although, it's interesting to know that he likes (or had to play) the Talking Heads because I do know their song "Psycho Killer"

I hope everybody had a good new year and zappacheers!

zeeker
Power Poster
Post 2009-01-03 02:05   [Quote] 
I remember listening to at least one of these broadcasts when they were aired back in the day. Looking forward to hearing them all this time around.

Zappacheers!

Many thanks and a happy new year to all.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoosac92
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-03 03:08   [Quote] 
This was one of the recordings in the package that went missing between western Canada and France in the summer of 2007, so to you gentlemen who've brought us this, I'm saying simply this: Thank you so much!

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-03 05:05   [Quote] 
Quote:
Remember the Iran/U.S. hostage crisis? How about the Chrysler bailout and resurrection by Lee Iacocca? Gold Rush '79!

Everything old is new again. You can't really judge current events, if you don't know what happened before. These news broadcasts are extremely interesting. Their is a tape of Steve Goodman live where he does a song about Chrysler, and another about Iran. very interesting material also. Items like this are very historic. Glad we saved another. Thanks to all, excellent!
Another form of collector, is air check collectors. This is exactly what they look for. I'm sure some old employees from this station too would love this material. More then just Zappa fans will be interested in these broadcasts. I myself have been asking air check collectors if any have the Zappa interview from CKLW, Windsor, Ontario. I would love to find that one. This station was extremely important in introducing Motown to the world. Also Alice Cooper is very thankful to this station. Bob Seger was so grateful to this station he wrote a song about the owner, Rosie. Since I grew up listening to CKLW, it has a special place. As does WDET, WABX, and WIRF.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BluesFan
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-03 15:26   [Quote] 
Most graciously thanking you muchly.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
badseed
sweden.gif
Post 2009-01-03 15:37   [Quote] 
THX!!!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-03 16:41   [Quote] 
Quote:
Talking Heads because I do know their song "Psycho Killer"

Coming up in one of the next broadcasts.

You're right about the air-check collectors Drew. I am still amazed at how much as been preserved but there has to be so much more out there. Here is an interesting discussion forum about the WPIX broadcasts in general. I bet they would all like to hear these FZ runs.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/22331-remember-wpix-fm-braodcasts-1979-a.html
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-03 18:01   [Quote] 
Wow, what an excellent link. Great research! This was there....

This was there from Loredit...

"My work at WPIX was studio/office work so I can't add anything to the live show stories. Although I remember Jane Hamburger was really pissed off at the Buzzcocks for what she described as bad and rude behavior.

My favorite recollection of WPIX is when I was recruited as board op for Frank Zappa's stint as Guest DJ. As I recall, it was on or around Thanksgiving. The year was probably 1979. He'd pulled a stack of records he wanted to play. (The only cut I remember playing is "Jerry and the Holograms." And maybe "Money" by the Flying Lizards. )

I sat at the board in the main studio and he sat next to me at the mike. He didn't just intro a song and cue me to play it. Instead, he'd hand me a record and after it played for 30 seconds, he'd hand me another that I'd have to cue up as fast as I could so that he could create his amazing musical montage. The pace was unreal. It went on like that for hours, with breaks here and there. Frank did PSA's and everything. At the end of the show, he gave me a huge bear hug, lifiting me off the floor! I recall that Program Director Joe "from Chicago" Piasek took some heat from WPIX management for putting on such bizarre programming on a "sacred" day.

My impression of Frank Zappa was that he was a brilliant guy who did not demand of others anything more than what he demanded of himself. It was definitely the hardest but most fun and rewarding thing I ever did in radio. I'd love to get an aircheck, if it exists.

Another fond memory is when the B-52's came up to the studio and I was charged with "babysitting" them until it was time for an on-air interview. It amazed me how naive and small-town they seemed. They spent the whole time in the music library, scouring the stacks for Motown records.

I haven't spoke to Megless since shortly before I moved to Seattle in 1989. "
 [Profile]  [PM] 
PappaWas
Poster
england.gif
Post 2009-01-04 05:24   [Quote] 
This does look interesting, thanks!

I have too much stuff to listen to!!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tranehead
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-04 19:38   [Quote] 
great stuff...aircheck collector checking in!
thankz!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-01-05 16:36   [Quote] 
Thanks for this!
Is there a link to where FZ's live stuff came from?

chrisfromparis
Poster
france.gif
Post 2009-01-06 10:23   [Quote] 
Excellent ! Thanks a lot Overnitefreak, I really love these "time capsules"...
Quote:
Is there a link to where FZ's live stuff came from?

You mean the Bamboozled/Ain't Got No Heart/Easy Meat section ? Check this torrent of "Warts 'n All" for more info : http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8304
Bamboozled By Love and Easy Meat were from the 19 Feb 1979 show in London, which is on the tracker ( http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1613 ) but without any peers as I write this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rushomancy
Busy Poster
Post 2009-01-10 03:29   [Quote] 
I admit I've gotten really into the "aircheck" thing lately. WFMU used to have a summer replacement program called "Aircheck" where they played airchecks of a lot of interesting and noteworthy things, like stuff from Bob Lassiter's old talk show, recordings from Sly Stone's days as a DJ, and relevant to this site recordings from the late '70s/early '80s CBC strike where the Inuit janitor took over the station, got really high, and played "Overnite Sensation" while singing along with it on the air. (If you haven't heard this, you're totally missing out.) One group I never have time to keep up with do an incredibly job of unearthing recordings of John Peel's old radio shows; of course bootlegs of the session tracks circulate to an astonishing degree among collectors (though FZ himself never did a Peel Session, the two Captain Beefheart did for the show are of course on the tracker), but the entire shows are just as good, as you get to hear great tracks you wouldn't necessarily hear elsewhere- like you hear with this FZ show, who else was playing Suburban Lawns on the radio? They just put up this incredible aircheck of the show from 1973 where Peel played the entire Fripp and Eno "No Pussyfooting" record- backwards! Of course most shows aren't like that, but occasionally you get a gem- Bob Dylan's radio show is one of the most exciting music programs I've heard since John Peel passed. (I've made some lo-fi off-air radio tapes myself- when I lived in Louisville there was this great show called "The Independent Hit Parade" that played tons of MPB and Robert Wyatt and stuff. I had to work when it was on, so I taped it on this cruddy little radio inside a warehouse that got lousy reception, but I'm still glad I have the tapes. Somewhere else I got the station doing an interview with (Louisville native) Marshall Allen; that was cool.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-01-10 07:06   [Quote] 
Quote:
"Overnite Sensation" while singing along with it on the air. (If you haven't heard this, you're totally missing out.)

That's something that could go on this tracker, though the all sound interesting.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows All times are GMT

Jump to: