Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1976 XX XX Impossible Concert 45.40 SBD (blackpage-fl)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills
DL-List
Complete: [ 26 ]

flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2008-05-19 14:39   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa
1976 (circa) - "The Impossible Concert"

~~ samples from blackpage version ~~

As requested and discussed in this thread
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11703
here's the first of two sets of samples from this compilation recording,
from a very clean sounding unknown gen tape, kindly provided by blackpage,
and passed along by Drew51.

Samples from the other version (CD-R sourced) provided by CU
will be put up later in a separate torrent for comparison.

From FZShows:

1976 (circa) - "The Impossible Concert"
45 min, A
A collection of outtakes, put together by FZ. Some are the the same of the "UN-Concert".

This version: 45.40, A/A-

Setlist (& samples):

Black Napkins guitar solo (1975/76 tour) sample 01 from begin tape
Once Upon A Time (1971 08 07, UCLA, Los Angeles)
Divan [1971 08 07, UCLA, PP]
Jam (Baltimore, 3-May 1975)
Excerpt from Big Swifty improvisations (1984 11 08, Passaic, NJ, late show)
Excerpts from a Dupree's Paradise intro (spring/summer 1973) sample 02 from segue into next track
Trouble Every Day solo (1974 09 25, Gothenburg) sample 03 from segue into next track
George Duke synth improvisation
percussion/violin improvisation (Royce Hall?)
Sink Trap (Royce Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, 1975)
improvisations (Royce Hall, Los Angeles, UCLA 1975)
1973? improvisations
1960s improvisations w/ tape
1973 improvisation
Royce Hall improvisations sample 04 from segue into next track
Yellow Snow Suite (1974 06 24/25, Sydney, Australia) sample 05 from end of tape

blackpage archive - 3/29/2008

Lineage:
unknown gen tape->maxell XLIIs tape->Turtle Beach Montego->Sound Forge->Flac level 8 -> wav -> Soundforge 5: speed correction, volume level adjusted, DC offset removed, samples -> flac lvl7

transferred by: blackpage
edited by: flambay
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-19 15:02   [Quote] 
Thanks to blackpage who has been kicking our ass with good shit lately, and this is like an iceberg, we only are seeing the tip so far...
I listened to these both, and man they are so close. IIRC the start of this one has some tape blemishes affecting sound at start. The CU version does not. Though otherwise I like this one better, but it is so close I'm not committed to that opinion. A better listen might change my mind.
It was only a very quick comparison I did to see if both were worth checking out, they both are for sure! Charles has been so kind as to offer many examples from his collection, and I have more too Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-05-19 15:19   [Quote] 
FWIW, there is a rumor (which seems fairly credible to me given the limited info available) over at the zappa.com forum that the new One-Shot Deal CD is the Impossible Concert.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-19 15:24   [Quote] 
OK, more reason to get this out Smile See how they messed it up....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2008-05-19 15:42   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
FWIW, there is a rumor (which seems fairly credible to me given the limited info available) over at the zappa.com forum that the new One-Shot Deal CD is the Impossible Concert.

As long as it's only a "rumor" I believe that we can carry on preparing a seed of this recording.
Once there is clear evidence about One-Shot Deal and Impossible Concert being identical,
we will of course refrain from seeding this here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-05-19 16:01   [Quote] 
The source was the Idiot Bastard site, apparently based on Dweezil telling someone in the PBS drive that the CD would include guitar solos, orchestral material and an early version of Yellow Snow.

The two versions I've heard (one I think from MN, the other downloaded here a few years ago) sound nice but are both a bit muddy. Unless the versions sampled here are much better, or they did "screw it up" on the release, it would probably be worth buying an official release.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-05-19 16:06   [Quote] 
I suppose by the time the sample process is done someone will have probably gotten the CD from that PBS drive and reported what's on it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-19 16:06   [Quote] 
What i don't like is our site mentioned in other forums. It's clear we cannot hide I guess. As in the discussion they refer back to us.
I own everything, so yeah i would buy it, but these days I feel slighted by Gail, so could give a fuck. I will for sure buy it from another site, and of course use a CC. As this way American Express, and the hosting site get a cut compared to ordering it directly. I certainly have mixed feelings these days. I think though this has hit home. When you go to the official site and see the statue bust upfront it tells me something!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cekman
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2008-05-19 17:01   [Quote] 
Quote:
What i don't like is our site mentioned in other forums. It's clear we cannot hide I guess. As in the discussion they refer back to us.

That would be my fault. Thebonecat made the link between One Shot Deal and The Impossible Concert over here in the request thread, and I posted it over at zappa.com. Is that not kosher? If not, I apologize.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
kanzia
Poster
Post 2008-05-19 17:17   [Quote] 
You have to log in on Dime; The Trader Den, & Lossless Legs to view the threads. On Zappateers everybody can view everything posted here on Zappateers, even view the profiles of registered users. Maybe we should limit this, only allowing to enter FZShows without registering and log in.

The Zappateers version of the Impossible Concert will of course be much more authentic than the ZFT version (it`s always the same way it goes) if One-Shot Deal CD is the Impossible Concert.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-19 17:35   [Quote] 
Quote:
Is that not kosher? If not, I apologize

No worries. I just think we should keep a low profile. If we our out there too much action could be taken. You didn't do anything wrong. Just my opinion.
I agree with Kanzia too. Members only to the torrent forums at least. Looking right now 46 users online 30 are guests??? Everytime the guests out number the registered users. Every time I have looked. this is not good. Anybody know why so many guests?
It's probably a good idea to get this one out. If the OSD is close, even if different, this will have to be pulled. We have run across this problem before with the Ed Palermo Demo. We cannot post, it's different, but only by a few minutes. And has everything the commercial release has. So that was a no go. So before that happens...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-20 13:44   [Quote] 
My tape is from blackpage, so no competition from me here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
FOWL
Post 2015-03-07 17:55   [Quote] 
How have they not released this compilation yet officially? It's absolutely amazing essential listening. Perplexed as always at ZFT's decision making process!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-03-07 19:36   [Quote] 
Why bump an ancient sample?

Look in the catalog for the current version:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=25690
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2015-03-07 23:57   [Quote] 
FOWL wrote:
How have they not released this compilation yet officially? It's absolutely amazing essential listening. Perplexed as always at ZFT's decision making process!

Not all of the FZ edited stuff in circulation among fans is in the vault.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills All times are GMT

Jump to: