Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1966-06 - Burt Ward - The Boy Wonder Session Tapes 18.20 (Yojimbo-DLHotch-progrockfan)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 276 ]

progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-02 20:53   [Quote] 
1966-06 - Burt Ward - The Boy Wonder Session Tapes 18.20 (Yojimbo-DLHotch-progrockfan)

Core session tapes from Yojimbo
Additional track from DLHotch
Research by progrockfan

Recorded at T.T.G. Studios, Los Angeles, 9 and 10 June 1966

Sessions Produced by TOM WILSON
Arranged and Conducted by FRANK ZAPPA

Tracks recorded 9 June:

1. Boy Wonder, I Love You (Zappa) [mono end mix]
2. Gotta Fall In Love (a.k.a. I Love, a.k.a. Autumn Love) [complete mono mix]

Tracks recorded 10 June:

3. Orange Colored Sky (a.k.a. Oranged Colored Sky - DeLugg / Stein) [mono end mix]
4. Teenage Bill Of Rights (John / Regan) [mono mixdown take]
5. Teenage Bill Of Rights (John / Regan) [complete mono mix]
6. Variant I (a.k.a. The Comedian) [mono mixdown take]
7. Tears Come From Loving You [complete mono mix]

Core musicians (9 and 10 June):
Burt Ward - lead vocals
Dennis Budimir - guitar
Elliot Ingber - guitar
Eugene DiNovi - piano
Plas Johnson - saxophone
Benjamin Barrett - cello
(Plus unknown backing vocalists)

Additional musicians (9 June):
James Zito - French horn, trumpet
George Callender - tuba
Justin Gordon - bass clarinet, clarinet
Roy Estrada - bass
Jimmy Carl Black - drums

Additional musicians (10 June):
Lou Morell - guitar
William Pitman - guitar
Anthony Terran - trumpet
John T. Johnson - tuba
Jack Nimitz - bass clarinet, clarinet
Frederick Dutton - contra bassoon, bassoon
Kenneth Watson - tympani, traps, mallets
John Guerin - drums

7" single Boy Wonder, I Love You b/w Orange Colored Sky released 14 November 1966 (MGM K 13632)

The Boy Wonder Session Tapes are not raw studio takes and false starts, as has often been assumed by collectors; rather, they are derived from one or more post-production reels of mono mixes and incomplete mixdown takes.

In 1966 there was no sense that rock 'n' roll outtakes would one day have commercial or historical value. Session tapes were commonly wiped and re-used as a cost-cutting measure. This practice was widespread in television also; perhaps the most important reason that Monty Python's Flying Circus seems to come out of nowhere historically is that the BBC systematically wiped tapes of Python's predecessors. Tom Wilson's spoken references to takes 4B, 4C, 11A, 11B, 18 and 29A show that these tapes document only a fraction of the original sessions - but this fraction is probably all that survives.

The mixes of Boy Wonder, I Love You and Orange Colored Sky found here are probably the end mixes used to master Burt Ward's one and only MGM single. As it was the very first song recorded on 9 June, the FZ-penned Boy Wonder, I Love You was likely selected as the A-side of the single before the sessions began. Orange Colored Sky may have been chosen for the B-side at least in part because it was one of the two remaining tracks for which Burt Ward had completed his lead vocals; additional vocals had been planned for other songs, but were canceled when the session budget ran out.

The Boy Wonder Session Tapes circulate among collectors in many different track sequences. They are presented here in the probable sequence in which they were recorded.

Two tracks are often omitted from circulating versions of these tapes: an incomplete mixdown of Teenage Bill Of Rights, and what purports to be an alternate take or mix of Variant I. Close listening reveals that the Variant I 'alternate' is in fact the same take and mix as the more common version of the track — a fact disguised by the inclusion, at the take's beginning, of a snippet of the end of Gotta Fall In Love. This snippet is easily explained: When the MGM 7" single was mastered, the tape segments containing the end mixes of Boy Wonder, I Love You and Orange Colored Sky were undoubtedly physically sliced out of the master reel — a common practice in those pre-digital days — and the remainder was spliced back together for the T.T.G. archives. This explains why the end of Gotta Fall In Love — the last song from 9 June to be mixed — is found back-to-back with the 'alternate' take of Variant I — the second song to be mixed from 10 June, but the next song in order on the post-production reel after Orange Colored Sky was excised. The so-called 'alternate' version of Variant I is therefore identical to the more common version, and has been omitted from this upload.

Further evidence from the tapes suggests that the recording sequence given in Román Garcia Albertos's wonderful FZ chronology is slightly incorrect, as a snippet of Variant I appears at the end of the incomplete mixdown take of Teenage Bill Of Rights - indicating that Teenage Bill Of Rights was probably recorded first, but archived after Variant I on the post-production reel.

Burt Ward claims in Boy Wonder: My Life In Tights that Orange Colored Sky was recorded at his first session with FZ, and that MGM then insisted on vocal lessons prior to his next recording date. Ward goes on to say that MGM's vocal coach dismissed him after two weeks of lessons at $1,000 per week. This is sheer fantasy — Orange Colored Sky was recorded on the second day, not the first, and there certainly was no two-week gap between sessions. Burt Ward's book is hugely entertaining — Spy magazine memorably lampooned it under the title I Couldn't Keep It In My Pants And I Can't Stop Talking About It — but clearly, serious researchers must look elsewhere for their facts.

Quite some time has passed since these tracks were submitted for sampling. Apologies for the delay in posting — but I wanted to present the most historically accurate version possible of these tapes, and frankly, some of the conclusions presented above took me a while to figure out. Love — progrockfan Smile

Lineage: mono post-production reel(s) sourced from Universal's New Jersey tape facility > CDR > FLAC (track 4: SHN) > DCC > Track 4 only: JetAudio > WAV > Cool Edit Pro 2.1 > normalize -4dB > speed correction -40 cts (linear adjustment) > JetAudio > FLAC level 8 > your ears

ffp:
1099dcb36ad6922a3765c23856c4fcc6 *1966-06 - Burt Ward - The Boy Wonder Session Tapes 18.20 (Yojimbo-DLHotch-progrockfan).txt
96a2ac555b8d891224d422cbebfb8624 *1966-06-09 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 1. Boy Wonder, I Love You [mono end mix].flac
e3e8a47094127e0223bb4687b1463fed *1966-06-09 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 2. Gotta Fall In Love [complete mono mix].flac
4c933659ade43b1dc5accd052042a99c *1966-06-10 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 3. Orange Colored Sky [mono end mix].flac
a7c3cb0eea5028545faa302a490eddfc *1966-06-10 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 4. Teenage Bill Of Rights [mono mixdown take].flac
b8272faad36d93b6a6e08884ad6022b7 *1966-06-10 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 5. Teenage Bill Of Rights [complete mono mix].flac
a48bf89f72033bded7837647656ad76d *1966-06-10 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 6. Variant I [mono mixdown take].flac
9642999c663e13c9bfa3a9518880b940 *1966-06-10 - Boy Wonder Session Tapes - 7. Tears Come From Loving You [complete mono mix].flac

Last edited by progrockfan on 2008-05-02 23:51; edited 4 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bazbo
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2008-05-02 20:59   [Quote] 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
COOL!

Thank you, progrockfan!

'ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL'
- for Walk(spoon) - gone, but never forgotten

www.bazbo.net
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ferval Lankman
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-02 21:05   [Quote] 
I should pull random, unreasonable requests out of the clear blue sky more often...

Monstrous piles of thanks, progrockfan!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DLHotch
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-02 21:33   [Quote] 
Glad I could help, nice job! Kitchenaire's tunes
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zeeker
Power Poster
Post 2008-05-02 22:21   [Quote] 
Holy mother of Batman! Kezaang!, the Boy Wonder sessions have arrived. Many thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2008-05-02 22:22   [Quote] 
Thanks, Proggie!!! tunes

cheers

unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2008-05-02 22:24   [Quote] 
Two in a row proggers Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zootfrançois
Busy Poster
france.gif
Post 2008-05-02 22:28   [Quote] 
Thanks a lot!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
_sibbz_
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2008-05-02 22:53   [Quote] 
/me bins some more mp3's Smile

obsolutely stunning research man, well done! bravo! hug

detritus
Busy Poster
Post 2008-05-02 23:06   [Quote] 
amazing!

thanks much
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BuffaloVoice
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2008-05-02 23:12   [Quote] 
Thanks for all the research and details.
But please explain an ignorant like me the difference of a mono mixdown take, a complete mono mix and a mono end mix. I think I understand the latter, but cannot determine the difference to the second term.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
progrockfan
Contributor
uk.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-02 23:49   [Quote] 
Quote:
...The difference of a mono mixdown take, a complete mono mix and a mono end mix...

These are terms from the world of obsessive collectors of unreleased rock 'n' roll studio sessions (i.e., progrockfan). An end mix is a finished mix used in the production of a record; it is literally the end product of the mixing process. A complete mix is also a finished mix, but one that has not been used to create a master — sometimes because the song remained unreleased, sometimes because a better mix was used to create the record. End mixes and complete mixes are polished studio products that include all of the elements that go into a finished record, including fade-ins and fade-outs. A mixdown take is an incomplete mix, sometimes stopped in the middle of the take (like track 4), sometimes lacking a fadeout or other polished studio elements (like track 6). Examples of mixdown takes can be found on the Beatles outtake collection Control Room Monitor Mixes and on the Beach Boys' Unsurpassed Masters series.

Please note that my designation of Boy Wonder, I Love You and Orange Colored Sky as end mixes is based not on concrete evidence, but rather on the assumption that for cheap novelty-artist sessions like this, Tom Wilson would have gone with the first acceptable mix he could get — meaning that in this case, 'best mix' was probably synonymous with 'only mix.' If, as I suspect, the complete mix of Teenage Bill Of Rights was also sliced from the master reel for possible use as a B-side, this track could in theory be designated as an end mix; it qualifies as a complete mix only because it never completed the journey onto vinyl.

Hope this helps. Smile

BuffaloVoice
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2008-05-03 00:03   [Quote] 
progrockfan wrote:
Hope this helps. Smile
Yes, indeed. Thanks for the claification. Doctor Smart will explain to you
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoosac92
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-05-03 05:25   [Quote] 
How unique! Thank you.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
_sibbz_
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2008-05-03 06:26   [Quote] 
progrockfan wrote:
Hope this helps. Smile
<-- good Lord he's sooo professional Smile

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Related All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: