Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Haabs Archive vol 1 The Yellow Shark rehearsals / Peefeeyatko
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 261 ]

tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 20:11   [Quote] 
haabīs archive #1
89:35 min
4405 mb
bitrate: well i canīt remember, itīs over 5.2 mpbs Wink

Linage: Haabs master tapes recorded of air > JVC VHS machine >
Canon HDV 1080i (D/A converter only) > Vegas 4.0 > AVI files >
DVD architec 1.0 > Zappateers >you

1. The Yellow Shark rehearsals
(Frank Zappa repeterar Den gula hajen med Ensemble Modern)
Also known as: AAAFNRA
Aired in Sweden 1993 december 16th
Swedish subtitles

2. Peefeeyatko
(Zappa - En seriös galning)
Aired in Sweden 1991 february 1st
Swedish subtitles

Chapters and a cheap menu. The reason i did a cheap menu is so
didnīt waste any space on the disc to something that you only see
for two second before you choose what to see. Itīs better to give that extra
space to the "film" itself!

The only modification to these two program is that i raised the volume
a few db, nothing else! Compared to Bakkes version this audio is lossless and
this one has no pixilation when the camera makes a suddenly move.

Anyway, as i have writen a few times i asked if any of you guys could do a new rip
for the The Yellow Shark rehearsals that Bakke upped a week or so here on Zappateers
(since I didnīt think that Bakkes DVD was up to par with what i prefer).
haab contacted me and basicly said that he recorded that show and wonderd if i could
help convert Zappas Universe full version to DVD along with a couple of other intresting
stuff. Did i say no you ask? Hell no, ofcourse i said yes iīll do it!!!!
So we meet and he had plastic bag full of goodies Party

First i thought that i would do a DVD of The Yellow Shark rehearsals but i think that would
be some space left on the DVD and we hate that donīt we? So, i have learned that you can
cram ca 90 minutes of "video" without sacrificing the material on the disc.
So i put another of haabs VHS here and i choose Peefeeyatko because i likes the way it looked
And it fits perfect not only in time/space on the disc, both program is close to each other
timewise and both deals with Zappas classical side.

We all know that Standalone machines SP mode is, well... not the best mode on the machine.
XP mode is the one to choose! And since i know that if record in SP mode the picture will
get pixilated and if you are a person like me and thinks that if you have to convert a VHS to DVD,
why make it look worse than the VHS cassett does? For me the DVD should look exactly
like the VHS version otherwise it has the right to be on my shelf with the other DVDs
that i have.

But we also know that a DVD with 60 minutes with quality is a bit short. So if we could
make a mode between XP and the lesser SP mode we have fully watchable DVD with no pixilation
or 192 khz (or worse) audio. So i have come to the conclusion that would be ca 90 minutes
per disc or 180 minutes if youīll use dual layer. i canīt wait to get enough money
to buy a blu-ray burner and a blu-ray DVD machine. 50 gig on a single disc!!!
Thatīs a lot of Frank Zappa on one disc!

So this is the first of several DVDs that i will call haabīs archive. Usually i hate
to name my DVDs but i came to the conclusion that it perhaps is a good thing, so we all know
what version is made by who bla bla bla.
So in in Lagz style i made a "haabīs archive"

Oh yes, there may be a few words that may be spelled wrong, well donīt worry,
i am ashamed of myself headhammer

Oh i also included the announcer before The Yellow Shark rehearsals program.
You got to love heīs well made "hair colouring". NOOO, heīs not old at all!!!
I love heīs sweater too......Im just little fond of chifong in wrist array.......

Happy viewing!
TordMullet

Last edited by tordmullet on 2008-03-06 20:28; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 20:20   [Quote] 
Thanks Appreciate it. Though i do not consider this definitive in anyway because quality has been sacriced from what i'm reading, too bad. So the search continues.....
If anybody can do a higher bit rate version from masters, please do so.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 20:22   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
Thanks Appreciate it. Though i do not consider this definitive in anyway because quality has been sacriced from what i'm reading, too bad. So the search continues.....

Iīm not sure that o follow here: quality has been sacriced?
Have you seen it yet?

And yes a definitive would be the master , not of air that is!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 20:29   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:

If anybody can do a higher bit rate version from masters, please do so.

A good bit rate would be?

I think itīs intressting that you mention this now, instead of doing that at the samples forum.
Or When Bakke u/l his version!
just a thought Neutral
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 20:41   [Quote] 
Quote:

8mbps. Sorry I'm being picky, as I'm very anal collecting three or 4 sources for shows and such. I did not mention this is samples because of my own ignorance about video. I didn't realize you meant lowering the bit rate. On HD screens or computer screens, Check this against the 8mbps on the Lagz video. Also captured on VHS, I see a huge difference. All i have though is the samples to compare.
Again thanks this is for sure a major upgrade, but could never be stamped with Q&C as it's possible to have more quality. I don't think you can win an arguement that this bit rate is good enough. 8 is not good enough as far as I'm concerned. If higher rates possible go for it!
Now we might reach a point where 5mbps capture all what's on VHS, anymore is a waste. Like capturing cassettes at 24 bit is not going to improve quality IMHO as cassettes are kinda like 8 bit digital audio. 44.1Khz, and 16 bits will capture all available on cassette, and maybe 5mbps does the same for VHS, if this is the case, then it's fine. I confess ignorance. And my apologies if this is indeed the case. I would suggest 5mbps then.
I don't worry about fitting all on a DVD, as that media is soon to be obsolete. No is obsolete already.
As you said the future looks Blue, as HD DVD's have been defeated and production is ending.

Last edited by Drew51 on 2008-03-06 20:47; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 20:44   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
Quote:

8mbps. Sorry I'm being picky, as I'm very anal collecting three or 4 sources for shows and such. I did not mention this is samples because of my own ignorance about video. I didn't realize you meant lowering the bit rate. On HD screens or computer screens, Check this against the 8mbps on the Lagz video. Also captured on VHS, I see a huge difference.

I had to lower the bitrate bacause the file was something about 13 gigabyte and as far as i know, no DVD has that much space. Dual layer isnīt the favorite medium here for the moment so;)
8 mbps is fo me only necessery if the raw material is grainy

I could go on and on about why, but why argue about it here? Itīs silly!!!! Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 20:47   [Quote] 
Even if quality may not improve from a higher bitrate, i myself prefer to have thing separated, with proper dates, for archiving purposes and for searchability both on my local HD and on the tracker.

Besides that, thank you tordmullet for your work. Maybe you can help me with some VHS conversions as well? (only at the best possible bitrate of course Very Happy)
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 20:54   [Quote] 
Quote:
had to lower the bitrate bacause the file was something about 13 gigabyte and as far as i know, no DVD has that much space. Dual layer isnīt the favorite medium here for the moment so;)
8 mbps is fo me only necessery if the raw material is grainy

Holy moly that's huge! Yeah hey i do not want to argue. I'm more asking as I have no idea about these things. I do know 8 beats 5 in poker. Damn, I'm going to have to get a bluray like yesterday to do my video, as I would want to keep this file.
As far as dual layer, I'm on my third dual layer burner already. Still single DVD burner's left? What I don't like about DVD DL is finding good discs. Vebatim seems to be the best, and that's sad. No TY DL discs? I have never seen them.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 20:59   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
Quote:

Now we might reach a point where 5mbps capture all what's on VHS, anymore is a waste. Like capturing cassettes at 24 bit is not going to improve quality IMHO as cassettes are kinda like 8 bit digital audio. 44.1Khz, and 16 bits will capture all available on cassette, and maybe 5mbps does the same for VHS, if this is the case, then it's fine. I confess ignorance. And my apologies if this is indeed the case. I would suggest 5mbps then.

The only thing that you could do is test diffrent bit rates, audio aswell and then see and listen to it
on a TV set that you can trust. And if you can see a diffrence between say 5mbps, 8mbps or even more.
Then there is a diffrence and we should correct us after that!

I personaly can only trust my ears and eyes and i do check everything i do thoroghly.
But then again we have diffrent eyes and ears and some even have the NO-D glasses on
when the make a DVD roflol
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 21:08   [Quote] 
drew51
Verbatim is the best without a doubt, or at least as i see it:)
But i havenīt seen any dual layer from verbatim, do they do that?

The only that iīm afraid of with dual layer is that they are so fragile, easy breakable.
Let me tell, i know, the thing shatters in 30000000 pieces if you arenīt careful!

and yes, 8 beats 5 in poker. I think i know what you mean, but as i said i can only trust my ears and eyes!

Hell, if i was the ruler of this planet, vinyl would be the only media, exept 4 track 2 inch tapes,
you know the same medium beatles recorded Sgt pepper with!Smile

Bengo, ofcorse i can help....and yes with a bit rate goes through the roof if you wish;)
pm me!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 21:20   [Quote] 
Quote:
But i havenīt seen any dual layer from verbatim, do they do that?

Yes, I have some right here. Expensive too. On this side of the pond you can get them here..

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-plus-r-dual-double-layer-section.html

My favorite discs are TY discs. They are made in Japan, and I think the last company to do so. I think a better disc is not made. Though Mitsui makes Verbatim, and that is a top rate company.

Quote:
I personaly can only trust my ears and eyes and i do check everything i do thoroghly.
But then again we have diffrent eyes and ears and some even have the NO-D glasses on
when the make a DVD

OK, well my apologies for making such a fuss over nothing. If you think this captures what's on tape, good enough for me.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 21:28   [Quote] 
BTW I have a master copy from Canadian TV of the complete Zappa's Universe, well the almost complete version. Three versions exist. Problem is it is recorded at slow speed. Still the best I have seen. I hope the Haab version is better. From my video list...

M 11/7/91 Zappa's Universe, The Ritz,NYC
HI FI Stereo (Bravo, Canadian TV) 135 minutes EX-
Longer Than The Commercial release
11/7/91 Zappa's Universe, The Ritz,NYC
(complete footage) 185 minutes VG-
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 21:53   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:

OK, well my apologies for making such a fuss over nothing. If you think this captures what's on tape, good enough for me.

You should not apologies, if it wasnīt for people like you, i probably would do a terrible job.
Zappateers is place where quality is incredible important....and HEY ME LIKE SO MUCH!

If you d/l this and see something that i have missed, please do come forward and tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iīl do it again if i have to....if itīs bad job that is!

People should raise their voices when they see something that isnīt perhaps "up to snuff"
Hell, years ago when i was a trader, i just got everything and kept stuff tha was horrible.
For what, why have something that is crapy made. So i stoped and threw out roughly 600 bootlegs and
kept the ones that are listenable or seeable (is that a word?)
Why have something crapy that take a space on your shelf....? beats me!

So i decided that if i was going to do a convertion from either audio or VHS it had to as good as the original!

Havenīt Master ninja taught us anything roflol
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tordmullet
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2008-03-06 22:00   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
BTW I have a master copy from Canadian TV of the complete Zappa's Universe, well the almost complete version. Three versions exist. Problem is it is recorded at slow speed. Still the best I have seen. I hope the Haab version is better. From my video list...

M 11/7/91 Zappa's Universe, The Ritz,NYC
HI FI Stereo (Bravo, Canadian TV) 135 minutes EX-
Longer Than The Commercial release
11/7/91 Zappa's Universe, The Ritz,NYC
(complete footage) 185 minutes VG-

haab has a good version though heīd recorded by using the timer on the VCR so it misses the end.
And it has swedish subtitles, perhaps for some of you, a bit anoying!
Anyway the haab version is 127 minutes.
Anyway it looks really good for a tape that is almost 16 years.
Cracking i would say Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 22:45   [Quote] 
Quote:
haab has a good version

Cool, I want the Swedish version anyway. I will do mine one day...
I can't wait to watch this one. At one time Rhino was looking into releasing the Yellow Shark video. They even made some promos (Yes, i have them). Too bad it never happened.
This special is pretty cool as is Peefeeyatko. Awesome stuff!! Thanks again!
I will start grabbing later tonight...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Videos All times are GMT

Jump to: