Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1975 04 25 Uniondale, NY  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Listening (Sessions, Specials, Extras) -> Archived Reviews Forum
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-02-01 20:04   [Quote] 
1975 04 25 Uniondale 83.48 Aud MC (Yojimbo)

We get some nice New York accents at the beginning, some ugly noises (either a layman's mic check or the recording microphone being stuffed into some convienently hidden crevice), and a bunch of angry freaks yelling at some other freak to sit the fuck down. By now, as we know, the Token of My Extreme vamp is gone from the introductory improvisations, being replaced by... whatever the band happens to play at that point in time. Tonight, we get some crazy saxophone, some keyboards, some drums, aimless fartsy-wartsy-la-la-la... then don't you be bore-di-fied, it's just a token of Frank's extreme. Token of My Extreme is nice to hear, though it's easy to see why Frank ended up ditching it by the end of the tour - it's a pretty little number in moderation, but it's one of those songs that doesn't stand up well to constant repetition. Once this number is out of the way, it's time for phase two. Stinkfoot comes out of the gate, and after the bit we all know and love, Frank solos... for all of two minutes. Not exactly the most inspiring way to lead a show off. These worries are hardly quelled by the next number - the dreaded I'm Not Satisfied. However unsatisfying the length of the instrumental experimentation has been up to this point, though, the composed parts are utterly spot on, from the belches and the demented babbling in Stinkfoot to the harmonic harmonica in I'm Not Satisfied - a little eyebrow that adds oh-so-much to a song that can use every last breath of fresh air it can be afforded. So if phase one of the show - the opening improvisation - can be described as a completely-unbiased "meh", phase two would best be fitted by a cautious, bet-hedging, optimistic-yet-decidedly-non-committal "eh... eh!".

Phase three transcends even crude phonetic approximations, and consists of the rest of the show.

Liftoff begins with an utterly ferocious, heavy-metal-as-fuck Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy - nearly twelve minutes long, and powerful from start to finish. Sure, when the band was having an off night, this song could plod like no other, but when this band was "on" - like, for example, they were in the previous two songs - this song was an absolute BEAST. Naturally, tonight's performance is one of those beastly occasions. Helpful hint: If you find yourself bored with the six minutes before the guitar solo, try nodding your head and singing along. The guitar solo is delicious, and, on the cusp of utter sonic attack, the band pile-drives head-on into...

The Velllllvet Sunnnnrise. Those of you intimiately familiar with every word ever posted to the Zappateers may be aware that some members - in particular, one "Zappa Penguin" - hold this song in incredibly low regard. Well, from a reliable source, we've confirmed that the aforementioned Mr. Penguin is on the verge of recanting his prior condemnation solely on the basis of tonight's performance alone. Serving as some crucial downtime, allowing the listener's brain to defragment and store the data of the Carolina Hardcore Guitar, this song both gives us a breather, and provides for one of the great Zappa monologues - similar to the "'Real World' Thematic Extrapolations" from Buffalo 1980, it describes the situation an introverted, self-conscious teenaged-listener might find himself in, with spot-on harmonies from either Nappy or Duke - or possibly even both!

After a communial kiss, we leave the Velvet Sunrise, and head straight into Pound for a Brown - sick keyboards, a Fowler horn solo, more sick keyboards, and one of the most dissonant, angry, experimental solos Frank gave us prior to Belew's joining the band in 1977 - right up there with the legendary Chunga's Revenge from L.A. 1970 and the nasty 200 Years Old from late 1974. If anyone dare state that Belew or Vai "taught" Zappa how to play metal, play this ugly little number for them, and count the hems and haws - the dude had it in him from the beginning. Pound leads into Sleeping in a Jar - how cool is this song? - which, in another master-stroke of contrast and relief, gives way to the laid back "Poofter's Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead", which, in this context, even this non-fan of country/western enjoys. Then, in yet another winning segue, Echidna's Arf pops in and launches us skywards, into the second heat of phase three of the fourth recorded show of eight played during the tenth-or-so post-original MOI tour Zappa found himself on. That's a lot of numbers, and it's naturally understood that numbers exist in a direct positive coorelation to quality!

Let's hear Duke play those funky keyboards! Let's marvel along with either the taper or a near-by audience member as Duke gradually shifts texture, and ends up in one of those classic Dukensian fusion solos! Let's gasp as the band jumps in for a nice keyboard led jam session! Let's bite our lip as everything slowly dissolves into chaos, and pray to the force of our choice that we're not about to suffer through some energy-sapping conducted meltdown-- The Torture Never Stops! Perfect! Not a moment too soon! Beefheart sounds utterly ferocious tonight, and is only out-done by what Frank wrangles out of his guitar, the nastiness of which is only out-done by the closing number of the night - Willie the Pimp, with a rather ragged head which is easily out-done by a blistering display of Frank's wild side - leaving the vamp far behind for some sickness similar to the late-77 "Wild Love" codas.

This simply must be heard to be heard. Easily - easily - the best show of the tour up to this point, and quite possibly the best of 'em all.

Last edited by Zappa Penguin on 2008-02-01 21:07; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ferval Lankman
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-02-01 20:07   [Quote] 
2008: The year ZappaPenguin tried to single-handedly resurrect the FZ Tape Reviewing Society

I, for one, applaud you good sir. Onward and upward!

(And oh yeah - thanks for the reviews! Very Happy)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-02-01 20:18   [Quote] 
We ain't finished yet Very Happy

Hope you enjoy them - or, better yet, hope they inspire you to join in the resurrection of the FZTRS. Sign up soon, as membership is limited!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2008-03-06 11:01   [Quote] 
Zappa Penguin wrote:

Count me in, even if I have few time Wink

cheers

olli
germany.gif
Post 2008-07-02 16:52   [Quote] 
Although "zappteered"now for 3 Months it took me until now to find this Place here
while being bored by a Customer on the Telephone. yawn

And although I, as a genuine Germy, am easily challenged by the English Language, even in
much more basic Forms than your Review, this has been a very enjoying and pleasant
Read. More, much more of it would be highly appreciated. clap

The Plan for this Evening so far: A virtual Trip to Uniondale, 25.04 1975 tunes

unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2008-07-02 20:11   [Quote] 
I love reading these reviews ... even if I don't always understand the words, finding the flacs is easy Smile

Zappacheers!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Listening (Sessions, Specials, Extras) -> Archived Reviews Forum All times are GMT

Jump to: