Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Bad Sources Database - version 2.0 - comments
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Collectors -> The Bad Sources Database
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-01-06 14:41   [Quote] 
I'm glad the Bruce Burnett seeds are being re-done because they are really fucking awful. I CAN'T WAIT for the new versions!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
punknaynowned
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-04-28 03:42   [Quote] 
Hi!
In listening to different things I notice pitch warbles especially among earlier shows.
I don't have the knowledge of tape editing or really the wherewithall to do it,
but am an avid listener and while I notice these sorts of things along the way,
hadn't really thought what I could do that may be of some paltry help.

Namely listening for these sorts of things and commenting on them in what I hope is an appropriate spot to do so.

For example,
1974 09 29 Bruxelles
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1687

In addition to incompleteness and file name probs on this one
01] Stinkfoot has minor pitch problems toward the beg, but clears up mostly by the guitar solo

03] Cosmik Debris starts out fine but by 4:00 begins to show the pitch warble, which confoundingly almost clears up by 5:00-5:30 but thru the rest of the song this pitch warble continues.

06] Pygmy Twylyte sounds almost half a tone down and noticeably slow but again, by the guitar solo in the latter half of the song, the pitch and tempo seem just about right.

Again, this is only done to help whoever does fix these up (like flambay) into tip-top shape, I might add, separating wheat from chaff or the needles in the haystacks etc as it were, getting all the air molecules dancing in just that certain way he always does!!!

04] Montana shows signs of volume warble, where the volume [but not the pitch] seems to vary, but is only slight and clears up by the guitar solo, for the most part.

Everything else sounds really good to me. Just sound is what I'm going by here, no spectral analysis or anything like that...

flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2010-04-28 04:28   [Quote] 
That's definitely something we'll have to look into more closely.
Thanks very much, punknaynowned, for your observations.

You may also want to post these in the thread with this particular seed.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
punknaynowned
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-04-28 14:48   [Quote] 
I would have but it's locked -- why I put it here Wink
of course there may be some other directory I don't know about...

NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-28 14:50   [Quote] 
punknaynowned wrote:
I would have but it's locked -- why I put it here Wink
of course there may be some other directory I don't know about...

There isn't, no.

Please feel free to prepare some samples of anything in "Bad Sources".

See:

SIMPLE GUIDE TO SAMPLING

Zappacheers!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-07-11 13:54   [Quote] 
The Bad Sources Database wrote:
1969 02 23 Late Toronto ON 54:17 AUD (kg)
1969 05 24 (E) Toronto Canada 56.33 aud (ZTLS#172.2-walk)

These two are in the BSD for being NR'ed. I'm afraid they only circulate this way, since the taper had his tapes professionally transferred, and whoever did it, did some tweaking to all of them. I don't think it's that much of a problem, since it's quite nicely done.
However, it's possible that that the Bad Sources versions have had additional tweaking done to them, so maybe it's best if I (or drdork, who also traded with this taper) contributed fresh rips from my CDR's, which also would guarantee lowest possible "digital generation".

Quote:
1978 09 19 Columbus 106.15 2nd gen Aud (Yojimbo) (missing "Is That Guy Kidding Or What?", which was seeded seperately here - condensed reseed needed.

Before we make a condensed version, or I make a fresh rip of my tape, are there any 1st gens around? I believe at least Drew51 and bsulon traded with the taper.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-07-11 16:32   [Quote] 
Yojimbo wrote:
The Bad Sources Database wrote:
1969 05 24 (E) Toronto Canada 56.33 aud (ZTLS#172.2-walk)

These two are in the BSD for being NR'ed. I'm afraid they only circulate this way, since the taper had his tapes professionally transferred, and whoever did it, did some tweaking to all of them. I don't think it's that much of a problem, since it's quite nicely done.
However, it's possible that that the Bad Sources versions have had additional tweaking done to them, so maybe it's best if I (or drdork, who also traded with this taper) contributed fresh rips from my CDR's, which also would guarantee lowest possible "digital generation".

thumbsup

I can prepare some samples once they are on FTP. Let me know if they are required.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-07-11 18:18   [Quote] 
Yojimbo wrote:

Quote:
1978 09 19 Columbus 106.15 2nd gen Aud (Yojimbo) (missing "Is That Guy Kidding Or What?", which was seeded seperately here - condensed reseed needed.

Before we make a condensed version, or I make a fresh rip of my tape, are there any 1st gens around? I believe at least Drew51 and bsulon traded with the taper.

I emailed bsulon about this.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-07-12 18:53   [Quote] 
I wrote:

I was wrong about 1969 02 23 (L) - I do not have a master clone of this show. My tape is pretty good, but it's from blackpage, so we have a lower gen within reach.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-11-21 18:18   [Quote] 
On Cologne 1980 06 07 early the sbd was pulled because it needs fills from the audience version, well we have that now! i know this is supposed to be a good copy, still would like to see Yojimbo sbd version in samples first.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2010-12-15 20:39   [Quote] 
1973 06 25 Sydney 92:21 SBD (WIU2B) (according to FZShows, the last portion of this show is the same as the last portion of 1973 06 24 - this version does not have the last portion at all. Whether this counts as "incomplete" or not is open to interpretation)

Of all the shows locked away in Bad Sources, this one is the strangest. Why would anyone describe a recording as incomplete just because it used to be filled out with another show? If anyone wants to recreate the old hybrid they can just dl the other recording and add it in. Please can this fantastic recording be restored to FZ Shows where it can be enjoyed by everybody?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
musigny23
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-22 09:33   [Quote] 
I have an alt source for 1974-02-16.

Lineage is believed to be:

MC > reel > reel > DAT

I don't regard an A/D transfer to 44.1/16 as a gen so the DAT represents the 2nd gen. reel.

I will FTP it to Drew's server.

I didn't get this bad source so I can't comment on how they compare soundwise. AFAIK mine is a straight
raw source.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-22 10:28   [Quote] 
musigny23 wrote:
I have an alt source for 1974-02-16.

Lineage is believed to be:

MC > reel > reel > DAT

I don't regard an A/D transfer to 44.1/16 as a gen so the DAT represents the 2nd gen. reel.

I will FTP it to Drew's server.

I didn't get this bad source so I can't comment on how they compare soundwise. AFAIK mine is a straight
raw source.

i think drews server is down ?

1974 02 16 - Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA
125 min, Aud, B+
soundcheck intro, Andy, Florentine Pogen, Kung Fu, Penguin In Bondage, T'Mershi Duween, Dog Meat, Montana, improvisations (incl. Dupree's Paradise story), Dupree's Paradise, Cosmik Debris, Pygmy Twylyte (incl. Dummy Up), The Idiot Bastard Son (That Arrogant Dick Nixon), Cheepnis, Approximate, Inca Roads

good news this is a must have show

but then I must have them all !
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-22 10:49   [Quote] 
how up to date is this database and is it in sync with the one
here

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=74

if not it is confusing to have conflicting bad sources databases
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-01-22 13:32   [Quote] 
doctorzap wrote:
how up to date is this database and is it in sync with the one
here

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=74

if not it is confusing to have conflicting bad sources databases

I have just updated four or five entries so the BS Database should now be "in sync" with the subforum.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 4 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Collectors -> The Bad Sources Database All times are GMT

Jump to: