Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Best bit torrent program for Mac
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-09-23 09:32   [Quote] 
Mac OS X users, µtorrent will be in beta in a few weeks. It seems there's an alpha release floating around on the internet (use it at your own risks). You can leave your email address on this page and the nice guys at utorrent.com will nicely send you a nice email to tell you when the first beta is ready Right on, man!

More on this page (in French)

[Profile]  [PM] 
_sibbz_
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2008-09-23 18:13   [Quote] 
the prefs window looks awfully similar to Transmission's... which still is the best pick imho, until someone proves me wrong. thanks for the heads up anyway J Smile

unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2008-09-23 18:43   [Quote] 
sibbz wrote:
the prefs window looks awfully similar to Transmission's... which still is the best pick imho, until someone proves me wrong. thanks for the heads up anyway J Smile

Yes, very similar. I'll test it when it reaches a closer release candidate Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Steev
Post 2008-09-23 18:53   [Quote] 
Thanx Unicrayon Smile
Xmission has been my choice since 4ever so I'll be looking to see if uTorrent/mac seeds any faster than XM does. Sometimes XM seems to choke up a bit when seeding, even though there's takers/leechers listed. It's the only improvement factor I'll be looking for in uT for Mac.
Peace - Steev
 [Profile]  [PM] 
unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2008-11-11 07:36   [Quote] 
Latest version/build of Transmission 1.4 (7084) doesn't recognize cedillas ... "François Dreno - François Bodin 2008-07-06 Paris, France" is not handled well and replaces the "ç" with "%E7" and d/loads again.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frankstareye
Poster
EU.gif
Post 2008-11-11 12:34   [Quote] 
For Microsoft users: I'm using since years Azureus 2.5.0.4, it's the old version but it works much better then the Vuze (bullshit) editon 2008. So if you would like to test it, try the old versions from Azureus and please avoid updating to the bullshit-version Vuze.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2008-11-11 14:07   [Quote] 
frankstareye wrote:
For Microsoft users: I'm using since years Azureus 2.5.0.4, it's the old version but it works much better then the Vuze (bullshit) editon 2008. So if you would like to test it, try the old versions from Azureus and please avoid updating to the bullshit-version Vuze.

Mac thread Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-12-26 20:30   [Quote] 
Do some Mac folks here use qBitTorrent? It looks nice but I never tried it.

http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net

Quote:
qBittorrent v2 is the closest open source (GNU GPL v2 license) equivalent to µtorrent.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2010-01-01 22:59   [Quote] 
I've been running Transmission and uTorrent side by side (alternating each new torrent) and it seems to me that uTorrent is quicker, both up and down loading. The interface is a bit clunkier (no option to change destination folder when you drag the torrent file in, for example) and asking 3 times at startup if you want to allow incoming connections is annoying too. However, I'm starting to find myself using it more and more in preference to Transmission.

Thing-Chris
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-01-03 15:15   [Quote] 
TOGFIADO,when you say "I've been running Transmission and uTorrent side by side...", you don't mean you have both programs running at the same time on the same computer, do you? I'm pretty sure that it's not advisable to do that, but I've been tempted.

I prefer to use uTorrent for downloading. I've had problems with Transmission losing data because it doesn't "verify" all that I've downloaded until I've got 100%. The larger the file, the larger the difference between what I've got and what is verified. If a torrent is stopped, or pulled for correction, or I just screw up somehow (say, turn something off accidentally), I'll lose a large chunk of what I should have. unicrayon tried to straighten me out in another thread, but I don't think we were discussing the same thing. Of course, he knows his sh*t about these things much more than I.

The mac versions of these clients don't have much in the way of help files, the windows versions look to have many more features and explanations.

uTorrent works better for me when I want to download, and I prefer Transmission for uploading. Sometimes I'll switch from Trans to uT when I find a new torrent I want to get. Sometimes I just cross my fingers and hope I'll get it without any snags. screwed
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2010-01-03 23:53   [Quote] 
Quote:
TOGFIADO,when you say "I've been running Transmission and uTorrent side by side...", you don't mean you have both programs running at the same time on the same computer, do you? I'm pretty sure that it's not advisable to do that, but I've been tempted.

Yep. Obviously not the same files in each application (and using different ports) but it's all been tickety-boo (or I should say I've never noticed a problem).
I only use Transmission now when I'm responding to a seed request or orphan - just because it's easier to pick my external HD as the destination/location of the file I want to open.

Thing-Chris
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-01-04 02:33   [Quote] 
Nice! I'll have to give it a try. thumbsup
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-01-21 11:55   [Quote] 
I think I already mentioned this problem with Transmission (which, incidentally, has recently been updated to v. 1.80). I fulminated again yesterday night when I installed the latest security update. When it was time to reboot, it did it again. It takes ages for it to quit. T's icon in the Dock reads Quitte but it's horribly slow to quit. It is such that now I open Terminal, type top, locate the culprit, type its number and goodbye Transmission! Do I really have to use such a geeky trick??? Do you have the same problem?

Mac Mini, Mac OS 10.6.2, brain.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2010-02-10 21:32   [Quote] 
Sorry for the tardy reply but.... Yes Transmission is slow to load and slower to quit. But I don't know your shorcut and anyway.. I've got all the time in the world because my ISP provider and the people they buy the service from are cunts (can I use this word here, or do I need to be in the Playground)? and have stitched me up like a kipper. That and there not being much work at this time of year in the wonderful? world of R'n'R. And that's not Rest and Relaxation baby! I only use Transmission now if I'm opening a show for someone needing a seed because it's much easier to re-direct the torrent to the file on the external HD. In fact I still don't know how to do it simply on uTorrent because it was taking too long to work it out the first time.

CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2018-08-02 16:30   [Quote] 
Mac users, have you tried BiglyBT? It’s a free torrent client, a fork from the Azureus project.

https://www.biglybt.com
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 5 of 7 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: