Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Roland Kirk and Frank jamming - the REAL Holy Grail!
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-11-25 19:53   [Quote] 
Blackpage recently purchased the new book on Roland Kirk. Here's a photo he sent me from the book...
Roland Kirk gets it. He is a fantastic player, God-like, one of a kind musician. He is missed!

kirk_1.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  122.44 KB
 Viewed:  921 Time(s)

kirk_1.jpg

Last edited by Drew51 on 2007-11-26 01:15; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-11-25 20:00   [Quote] 
Great Exclamation Many thanks for sharing.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-11-25 20:11   [Quote] 
Thanks for posting the photo.
Why on earth don't we have an official album? Pfffff disbelief
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-11-25 20:40   [Quote] 
I copied this pic from some user of Zappa.com forum. I canīt remember his name. hmm

Zappa-Kirk.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  217.77 KB
 Viewed:  935 Time(s)

Zappa-Kirk.jpg

[Profile]  [PM] 
rampantbeast
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2007-12-16 22:35   [Quote] 
Yeah - drew is right. This is surely the Holy Grail of unreleased live Zappa performances. A Zappa/Hendrix backstage jam pales into insignificance compared to this doesn't it? The various snippets I've read about this performance make this set sound like the most incredible fusion event ever.

Forgive my ignorance (and ignorance of any previous posts on this topic), but I presume there are no known recordings of this amazing concert? Were there no recordings of the wider event?

Last edited by rampantbeast on 2007-12-18 23:54; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-12-17 13:42   [Quote] 
rampantbeast wrote:
Forgive my ignorance (and ignorance of any previous posts on this topic), but I'm presume there are no known recordings of this amazing concert? Were there no recordings of the wider event?

Nothing. Nada. Rien. Niente disbelief
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-12-17 16:58   [Quote] 
On the bright side, it took thirty-five years for the Zappa/Pink Floyd jam to circulate... so we can always hold our breaths and hope Smile
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rushomancy
Busy Poster
Post 2007-12-17 17:23   [Quote] 
rampantbeast wrote:
Yeah - drew is right. This is surely the Holy Grail of unreleased live Zappa performances. A Zappa/Hendrix backstage jam pales into insignificance compared to this doesn't it? The various snippets I've read about this performance make this set sound like the most incredible fusion event ever.

Forgive my ignorance (and ignorance of any previous posts on this topic), but I'm presume there are no known recordings of this amazing concert? Were there no recordings of the wider event?

Didn't Kirk and the Mothers actually jam on stage at two separate concerts? Either of these would be absolutely welcome!

And yes, like the vast majority of original Mothers gigs, there are no known circulating tapes. Probably not even in The Vault. One can hope, though!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-12-17 18:58   [Quote] 
I, too, hope we'll have a tape or better yet an official album. But maybe there would be copyright problems, I don't know.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2010-04-03 12:09   [Quote] 
Đ problems nowadays are nothing compared to the 1970s when artists had to use assumed names.

I hate to be a pessimist but if a tape of this existed it would have surfaced by now - unless Joe and Gail know different.

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-03 12:24   [Quote] 
Holy Grail? Why? Maybe it just was not good enough.

How many people listen for their musical enjoyment to the Amougies jams (another former holy grail)? I'm not one of them.

[Profile]  [PM] 
kanzia
Poster
Post 2010-04-03 13:22   [Quote] 
Notwhatitused2b wrote:

Quote:
How many people listen for their musical enjoyment to the Amougies jams (another former holy grail)? I'm not one of them.

Sorry, I can't agree; FZ jamming with Archie Shepp, Earl Freeman. John Dyani, & Gracvhan Moncur III at Actuel Festival, Mont de I'Enclus in Amougies, Belgium (October 24-28, 1969) was really a musical enjoyment, when I first heart this recording at the International New Jazz Festival Moers in June 1979.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
punknaynowned
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-04-03 13:33   [Quote] 
I asked Joe a few years ago about this and he specifically said he knew of NO tape of this in the vault.
He has since said generically (like on the video put out on zappa.com the other day) that there were lots of things they haven't looked at, many tapes and reels they haven't listened to yet.

So 'No', but a slim chance of 'maybe'. I won't hold my breath.

kanzia
Poster
Post 2010-04-03 13:43   [Quote] 
punknaynowned wrote:

Quote:
I asked Joe a few years ago about this and he specifically said he knew of NO tape of this in the vault.

it was a private reel to reel tape of a taper who was chiefly interested in Shepp, AEoC &etc (a typical Free Jazz fan).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-04-03 13:56   [Quote] 
kanzia wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:

Quote:

it was a private reel to reel tape of a taper who was chiefly interested in Shepp, AEoC &etc (a typical Free Jazz fan).

fz_mag_downbeat_197001_jam.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  67 KB
 Viewed:  651 Time(s)

fz_mag_downbeat_197001_jam.jpg

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: