Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
200 Motels DVD Planned - A Semi-Official Announcement
Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2007-10-26 21:43   [Quote] 
Following the discussion here...
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10211

I contacted Tony Palmer - director of 200 Motels.

StatusBaby: There has been some speculation amongst Zappa fans about a potential DVD release of 200 Motels. Is this anything you could shed any light on ?

Tony Palmer: Keep your fingers crossed - we are doing our best! We have now found the master tapes, so are looking into the potential contractural problems.

I have asked Tony some further questions and I will post any responses here.

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Stevie Wonder Bread
Poster
canada.gif
Post 2007-10-26 22:43   [Quote] 
commentary?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Alex231
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2007-10-26 23:20   [Quote] 
Quote:
commentary?

Not From Frank...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2007-10-27 20:09   [Quote] 
Latest information from a brief interview with Tony:

Zappateers: Was there much cut from the original release ?
TP: Very little
Zappateers: Will there be any extra scenes on the DVD ?
TP: Don't know yet - we are still examining the material, but there might well be an interview with me about the film's origins, if only to dispel some of the garbage that has been written about what actually happened, usually by people who were not there.
Zappateers: Will there be any extras ? e.g. a Directors commentary ?
TP: See above
Zappateers: From the technical standpoint are the masters video or film ?
TP: It was shot on 2" PAL video, principally because of the many special effects Frank & I wanted to try but which would have been far too costly on celluloid, even if we had known how to do them. The tape was then transferred to 35mm film, the first ever such transfer, done on the old 3-strip Technicolor process.
Zappateers: How did you find working with Frank ?
TP: Stimulating
Zappateers: Was the script really written 'on the hoof' as some commentators have suggested ?
TP: No, it was mostly carefully scripted, although obviously some scenes were improvised

I hope Tony will do a more in depth interview for us when the DVD is released - and let's hope that happens soon.

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
tsotelo
chile.gif
Post 2007-10-29 13:28   [Quote] 
So let's cross fingers....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-10-29 15:27   [Quote] 
A 200 Motels DVD, now that would be a nice Christmas present!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Stevie Wonder Bread
Poster
canada.gif
Post 2007-10-29 15:54   [Quote] 
ya, or even a valentine's day present
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wisdomtales
Post 2008-04-25 21:17   [Quote] 
So does that mean that the liner notes that came with the enhanced cd are wrong when they say that the movie ended up very different from what Zappa envisioned? The liner notes even talk about the sequence of episodes being radically changed by the studio. It also mentions songs that were cut and songs that were added without Frank's approval. Is that all untrue or what?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2008-04-27 06:07   [Quote] 
StatusBaby wrote:
Zappateers: Was there much cut from the original release ?
TP: Very little

wisdomtales wrote:
So does that mean that the liner notes that came with the enhanced cd are wrong when they say that the movie ended up very different from what Zappa envisioned? The liner notes even talk about the sequence of episodes being radically changed by the studio. It also mentions songs that were cut and songs that were added without Frank's approval. Is that all untrue or what?

Presumably Palmer was saying that little that was filmed was omitted from the release. That's consistent with the fact that huge portions of the script were never filmed.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2008-04-28 22:24   [Quote] 
wisdomtales wrote:

As far as I understand it from Tony palmer very little of what was filmed was not included in the final release. Of the material that was not in the final release, very little survives.

The movie may have been very different from what Zappa envisioned, and there may have been scenes and songs cut - however, my understanding (and I may be wrong) is that such edits and changes were made before filming began. This is not therefore an issue of celluloid (or VT) hitting the cutting room floor, but rather paper scripts being cut up before filming began.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2008-10-15 00:07   [Quote] 
An update from Tony Palmer on the 12th October regarding the DVD reissue of 200 Motels....

'We now have the original master material, so we hope to get it out within the next six months'

Let's hope so.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
croation beat
usa.gif
Post 2008-10-15 00:11   [Quote] 
Wow thats sweet! But what about Roxy ?????
 [Profile]  [PM] 
richast2
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2008-10-15 00:37   [Quote] 
Tony Palmer was less than pleased with the film and, according to The True Story of 200 Motels, tried to get his name removed from the credits. If he's actively involved in the production of the DVD, the results may be...curious.

StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2008-10-15 00:52   [Quote] 
richast2 wrote:
Tony Palmer was less than pleased with the film

He has never given me that impression in the discussions I have had with him - and his website - here http://www.tonypalmer.org/Tony_Palmer_biography.htm would appear to mention 200 Motels as one of the highlights of his career.

In the brief interview quoted above he described working with Frank as stimulating, and part of his desire to do this seems to be to set the record straight about the garbage that has been written about the making of the film.

Maybe this is one of those things that 40+ years on is seen from a quite different perspective.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
MysteryBurger
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2008-10-19 09:29   [Quote] 
Hi and thank you for the info:

If Tony does not think that 200 Motels is at least one of the highlights of his career then he should keep his hands off the dvd release. This has potential to be a complete disastor and disgrace and very upsetting event. If he understood the movie he would have to be enthusiastic about it and since he is not enthusiastic and justs wants to clear the record and make some money then anything he might cut out could be a critical piece. I say release the DVD as an exact replica of the original as far as content goes and then add some extras like interviews etc.

It's possible that it may be a good idea to lobby to block this release. What does "very little" mean for what got cut??

Thank you again

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 7 Goto page:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: