Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
THE WEASEL MUSIC - discussion
Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next  
TFEC
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-05-24 14:55   [Quote] 
Howdy folks.

First of all, let me say how happy I am to give The Weasel Music a home here at Zappateers. When I came into posession of the acetate (over two years ago), I was worried. I knew what it was, and I knew that people would want to hear it, but I couldn't figure out how to get it out there without it quickly becoming a shitty ebay CDR bootleg (or worse). Then, a little over a year ago, I found Zappateers. After I scoped it out for a good long while, I began to think that this was the place. Pretty soon, I KNEW this was the place. My irrational fear of digital technology disappeared. This community is extrordinary. It is because of YOU PEOPLE that I felt safe making this thing available. So a big thanks goes out to all of you. Especially UNI for working with me for 4 1/2 hours to get the seed posted (I may not be fearful anymore, but I'm still slow).

Now...

Let's get to talking about this thing.

I really hope that this precious LP side will encourage a concerted discussion about the "History and Collected Improvisations" set.

What would've been on it?
How?
Where?
In what order?
What are these sounds that we're listening to?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Yojimbo
Contributor
sweden.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-05-24 16:49   [Quote] 
FZ's chamber music pieces of 1969 is a science of its own, and The Weasel Music provides us with more clues, and possibly more confusion. I'm fairly sure that the beginning of Chamber Music Piece #1 can be heard on the Royal Albert Hall 6/6/69 tape, in "Little Chamber Music I Used To Play" (title courtesy of Charles Ulrich). I'm not that sure that it's part of LCMIUTP as heard in Little House on BWS, though.
Other pieces to this puzzle include Intro To Music For Low Budget Orchestra and the Electric Bassoon Concertos played at the Fillmore East on June 13-14. I wouldn't be surprised if more of the Weasel Chamber Music can be found within these pieces.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-05-24 16:58   [Quote] 
It sounds like FZ is editing back and forth between the 6/6/69 show and studio recordings, which he also did on "Little House" on BWS. Between that and the fact that the Chamber Music pieces sound similar to "Igor's Boogie," one could consider this a "third side" of BWS.

As for the Collected Improvisations set, it may have included this, BWS, Weasels, and the "Columbia Test Pressing" (consisting of one side of live MOI and another of early studio recordings mostly released on The Lost Episodes). Aside from that, we may never know.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
amnesiavivace
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-05-24 17:18   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
As for the Collected Improvisations set, it may have included this, BWS, Weasels, and the "Columbia Test Pressing" (consisting of one side of live MOI and another of early studio recordings mostly released on The Lost Episodes). Aside from that, we may never know.

I would include in this list also most of what appeared in the original mystery discs.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-05-24 17:19   [Quote] 
FZ on the radio show with Beefheart (1975) plays some stuff (like "I Was A Teenage Maltshop" suite and "Charva") which he says it cames from the 1st LP, known as "Before The Beginning".
The unreleased "Boogie For Berkley", which sadly cuts off after 50 seconds, it's surely from the box, but I don't know from which LP.
I'll give my opinion on "The Weasel Music" later, after a good listen to the 6/6/69 audience tape!

unicrayon
Site Admin
Post 2007-05-24 17:22   [Quote] 
TFEC wrote:
Especially UNI for working with me for 4 1/2 hours to get the seed posted

Thanks.
Time well spent for all of us considering the material!
I yield the rest of my comment space to those wanting to explain this recording for the rest of us to learn from Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
flambay
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2007-05-24 17:26   [Quote] 
amnesiavivace wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

I would include in this list also most of what appeared in the original mystery discs.

Let's hope that the ZFT will include some conclusive documentation to this
when the time comes for the release of MOBWS or MOWRMF ... Wink

2010 ... 2011 ... ?? hmm
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-05-24 19:47   [Quote] 
amnesiavivace wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

And let's not forget the Stage series - particularly volumes 1 and 5. I'd guess that the material on these would be at least an album's worth of music (assuming that not everything on Stage #5 was originally intended for release).

And what about Ahead of Their Time? I must admit to not having read the liner notes - does it ever say for certain that this material would or would not have been on the Collected Improvisations?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-05-24 19:57   [Quote] 
Zappa Penguin wrote:

And what about Ahead of Their Time? I must admit to not having read the liner notes - does it ever say for certain that this material would or would not have been on the Collected Improvisations?

No, although FZ mentions there that he was considering doing a "European album" from the fall '68 tour that didn't happen, and of course a couple bits wound up on Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-05-24 21:56   [Quote] 
Well, my first thought was if this acetate exists, so do all the others. Does the ZFT have them? If so a chance of possible release. Maybe this will stir something up....open that floodgate a little bit more.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TFEC
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-05-24 23:04   [Quote] 
I have actually (through a third party, and very quietly) discussed this acetate with a certain Meister of the vault. He sez that the box set does not exist "in that form" in the vault. And certainly not as a set of 24 (well, 23 other) 1-sided acetates. I think these so-called "build reels" that they've been including excerpts from on MOFO, etc are probably the master reels of the box set. That's what I think, but I have no evidence with which to back up that notion.

It's interesting to hear pbuzby say that this acetate sounds like side three of BWS. That was exactly what I thought when I heard it the first time. I've been listening to it for two years, and it still sounds like side three of BWS.

I don't hear edits to live performace in the Chamber Music pieces, however. But I'm not SUPER familiar with the RAH 6/6/69 audience tape. (It's such a chore to listen to.)

This is exactly the type of discussion I had hoped this acetate would inspire.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2007-05-24 23:17   [Quote] 
TFEC wrote:

I don't hear edits to live performace in the Chamber Music pieces, however. But I'm not SUPER familiar with the RAH 6/6/69 audience tape. (It's such a chore to listen to.)

I also think the Chamber Music parts are studio, but the spoken intro and Mozart Ballet are from RAH. "Little House" on BWS also has a couple of RAH bits mixed with studio material.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2007-05-25 14:35   [Quote] 
Quote:
I have actually (through a third party, and very quietly) discussed this acetate with a certain Meister of the vault. He sez that the box set does not exist "in that form" in the vault

Yes Joe is a member here. He is very responsive and has helped me with info more than once. Well these acetates exist somewhere, since this one exists. They may have been destroyed or discarded, but I bet some still exist. I once had one of Beefheart, i gave to a friend, and it turns out to have an unreleased track. I lost contact with the friend, and lost the tape I made of it. I really wish i still had that one. It was a 4 song 10 inch EP acetate, 2 sided. Quite a unique item too. And it slipped through my hands.....
Recently a Lennon and Zappa tape of them jamming backstage went up for auction. A field recording. Damn, wish i was rich! Hopefully it will surface in the trading community.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BuffaloVoice
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2007-05-28 00:02   [Quote] 
Were parts of "04. Some Zany MOI Bullshit" released somewhere? I don't recognized it. But today I've found a little 1:23 min mov file named "Halloween-in-Dusseldorf" which I most likely have downloaded 31.10.2003 from zappa.com and it consists of the second part of the above track. Does anybody know more?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
db
Post 2007-05-30 01:22   [Quote] 
I don't have much to contribute to the conversation but it sounds really amazing. Thank you for all your time and effort. Much appreciated!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 3 Goto page:  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: