Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Best Album: The Lost Episodes  
Wips
usa.gif
Post 2020-07-31 00:00   [Quote] 
I think this one has become my favorite one folks. I'm sure you'll all let me know how misguided I am . . . : )

1. Actually produced by Zappa- not posthumous

2. Beefheart I actually like : P X 2

3. Early Zappa field recording stuff, get to hear him before 20, could be mid teens, probably the time he and Beefheart would drink pepsi and rob bloodbank mobiles or whatever

4. Peak studio Ray Collins

5. The 74 band w/ Ponty

6. You get to hear Frank before he is Frank Zappa. Before the Mothers. When he was just producing music and trying to get it out there. Yes, there are snippets of stuff released (YCDTOSA vol.5), but here we have some FULL, studio produced tracks and some live auditorium performance with an orchestra he put together

7. Zappa solo in basement during Warner Bros lock-out/lawsuit

8. Just straight up charming, amusing and a fun album. I always am happy or smiling inside listening to this record. You can feel this was a fun personal project from Frank. I mean come on- Cops and Buns? So good. The Dick Kunk vocal- extra super good! I'm A Bandleader! It kills me everytime : ) Ricky Lanceoletti, anyone!?! Hot Rats Era studio Sharleena!!??!!??!!

9. Unreleased tracks, see Kung Fu

Anyway, I just love this one. Some of the posthumous stuff hits the high bar Frank set. A few I should say, hit it, FOR ME. That is not to discount the hard work and appreciation of the material and perseverance of the releases after Franks death. But anything HE touched and produced has that special magic.

This is the one for me. The Lost Episodes.

polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2020-07-31 01:55   [Quote] 
Do you mean best posthumous album or best album period?

Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2020-07-31 10:06   [Quote] 
Many good points here, and The Lost Episodes sure gave a lot of joy when it appeared in 1996 - as did Lšther later that same year!

After the arid 80s, FZ seemed to bring it all home in the early 90s - from a certain perspective.

mutantmoose
usa.gif
Post 2020-07-31 16:37   [Quote] 
I agree, The Lost Episodes is well sequenced and has great tracks. The whole thing is so enjoyable, and then Sharleena hits, and GODDAM that track is so great!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zappa4ever
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2020-07-31 17:11   [Quote] 
The glory that is "Wonderful Wino", love this version and a great Sharleena here taboot

Can't say this makes any of my favorite lists but just about every fan has a very different list of favorites

Ask 50 Zappa-heads what they're Top-10 releases are and you're going to get 50 different lists depending on what era they love the most or when they got turned on to them or what albums they heard 1st, etc...

I'm mostly a '72-'82 fan but def. visit all eras/perMutations

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
staaan
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2020-07-31 20:59   [Quote] 
I agree it's a fun album, however "Best" is subjective and in the ears of the listener

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=32342

The Bossa Nova version of Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance, as I've mentioned before, is an absolute gem!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2020-08-02 09:47   [Quote] 
Love the pop Anyway The Wind Blows, the nascent classicism of Run Home Slow Theme, Uncle Meatish Alley Cat, RDNZL with JLP and Inca Roads... great album but not his best
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2020-08-03 01:54   [Quote] 
zappa4ever wrote:
The glory that is "Wonderful Wino", love this version and a great Sharleena here taboot

Can't say this makes any of my favorite lists but just about every fan has a very different list of favorites

Ask 50 Zappa-heads what they're Top-10 releases are and you're going to get 50 different lists depending on what era they love the most or when they got turned on to them or what albums they heard 1st, etc...

I'm mostly a '72-'82 fan but def. visit all eras/perMutations

I never thought of '72-'82 as an era in itself, but yeah- I can see that!
Even though he had most of the same players from '81 and '82, the '84 band was very different in approach. As was '88.
I'm a big fan of the YCDTOSA #5 disc 2. I'd like to hear another dedicated '82 band release. That band a had a total sense of purpose and were real pro. FZ's solos were white-hot most of the time. '84 became kind of goofy, and those drum sounds! Ugh!

As for "Lost Episodes", it's a great release and so much fun - and FZ said it was "one for the fans"! But it's a sideline to what I suppose the OP referred to as "Frank Zappa". I trusted his vision even if I didn't agree sometimes!
I am so thankful for all the generous vault releases!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Wips
usa.gif
Post 2020-08-03 22:49   [Quote] 
[quote="tasfa potumba"]
zappa4ever wrote:

I'm a big fan of the YCDTOSA #5 disc 2. I'd like to hear another dedicated '82 band release. That band a had a total sense of purpose and were real pro. FZ's solos were white-hot most of the time.

YCDTOSA disk two is one of my faves as well.. Did you know the live version of RDNZL from that disk is on you tube??? At least the solo he used for the album. One of my favorite solosw of his. Gives me the willies, in a good way Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUiebf1PqM

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: