Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Mothers on Wing Ding - 1966
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-07-29 04:03   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
Was the trip to Hawaii part of the same trip?

Hawaii was April 7–16, 1966.

Maryland, Michigan/Ontario, and Texas were July 1966.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-07-29 19:31   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
knoot wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
bleachboy wrote:
What do you mean by Billy Mundi’s substitute ?

If you follow the link the story is in the last quote.

I didn't know that Billy Mundi was in the band at the same time as Elliot Ingber.

K

I believe that Billy Mundi joined after Elliot was out. Del Casher was in. But there could be a brief overlap. also, I think that when the Mothers went on this promo tour, JCB was the only drummer. Was the trip to Hawaii part of the same trip? That was where FZ got the flower pants I think
Joe

There a photo taken by Les Poosch, Detroit Free Press, dated on July 15, 1966 of The Mothers ( Carl Franzoni included) where JCB is the only drummer.

So yes, I think he was the only drummer for this promo tour.

Detroit Free Press-July 15 -1966.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  139.24 KB
 Viewed:  34 Time(s)

Detroit Free Press-July 15 -1966.jpg

[Profile]  [PM] 
knoot
Contributor
norway.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-07-29 19:57   [Quote] 
Thanks for the detective-work! Very Happy

K
 [Profile]  [PM] 
old_zircon
Post 2020-07-30 12:02   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
I believe that Billy Mundi joined after Elliot was out. Del Casher was in. But there could be a brief overlap.

From the way FZ himself told the story to Don Paulsen only three or four months after the fact, it seems like Billy Mundi was hired around late August, 1966 (a month after the promotional tour), and then Elliot Ingber was fired early September, 1966 in San Francisco:

Quote:
Then we went to San Francisco and played around there and finally uh, Elliot had to be fired and uh, there was four again. And we hired— Oh, we had hired Billy Mundi. Had two drummers. Just before we fired Elliot we had a six-piece band, okay? Then we had five. Two drummers, bass, guitar and vocalist.

Then he said they hired Don Preston, but unfortunately I think he didn't mention either Denny Bruce, Del Casher or Van Dyke Parks.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-08-07 00:41   [Quote] 
It was always my understanding that the 5 piece Mothers lasted from the recording of Freak Out in March through this first US tour in July of '66. Then Billy Mundi was added shortly after their return to Los Angeles along with Van Dyke Parks.

After FZ fired Ingber, he hired Del Kacher and in the weeks that followed Van Dyke Parks stopped appearing with the Mothers and FZ hired Don Preston, maybe late September? When Kacher left to go back to session work, Jim Fielder was hired as his replacement. Finally Bunk Gardner was hired sometime prior the Absolutely Free sessions in November of 1966.

Of course I could be all wrong about that timing. And I have never been able to figure out when Denny Bruce was in the band. Right before or after the recording of Freak Out? Who knows?

Was Steve Mann's tenure with the Mothers between Henry Vestine and Elliot Ingber?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-08-07 06:02   [Quote] 
Overnitefreak wrote:
Was Steve Mann's tenure with the Mothers between Henry Vestine and Elliot Ingber?

Probably.

Mann, Alice Stuart, and Jim Guercio are acknowledged on Freak Out!, so they were presumably in The Mothers before it was recorded.

Bruce, Kacher, and Parks are not acknowledged on Freak Out!, so they were presumably in The Mothers after it was recorded.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: