Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Next release : The Mothers 1970
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  
justherb
usa.gif
Post 2020-06-29 22:35   [Quote] 
Mine came today. I gotta say the matte laminate finish is like buttah.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-06-29 23:53   [Quote] 
justherb wrote:
Mine came today. I gotta say the matte laminate finish is like buttah.

Do you you mean these trendy print finishing, aka "soft-touch cellophane wrapping"?

If so, is there a problem? And what's "buttah"?

Brad Henserling
usa.gif
Post 2020-06-30 00:12   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:

It's a compliment, specifically a Mike Myers reference from early '90s Saturday Night Live. It was a catchphrase in a popular series of sketches called Coffee Talk.

https://youtu.be/oiJkANps0Qw?t=226
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-06-30 00:53   [Quote] 
Brad Henserling wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:

It's a compliment, specifically a Mike Myers reference from early '90s Saturday Night Live. It was a catchphrase in a popular series of sketches called Coffee Talk.

https://youtu.be/oiJkANps0Qw?t=226

Like butter?

WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2020-06-30 01:20   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
I would be interested in hearing how those more educated music-wise rate this version of "Envelopes"? That introductory cadenza is over the Ab-minmaj7 organ chord is certainly cool, I also like Ainsley's drumming alongside the piano and organ creating quite a sensitive feel, but the version is definitely slower and more skeletal. Most of the time both George and Ian just play contrapuntal melodic lines, which is surprising. I guess FZ still wasn't expecting quite as much from his keyboardists as he was by the time of the 1977 tour. So as for the reasons to shelve this 1970 recording it's difficult to say how much is George and Ian not doing justice to the score and how much is FZ deciding that the score itself needs a bit more work.

I've read critiques of this version as being "skeletal" and "rickety".

But to me it's utterly mesmerizing.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2020-06-30 01:26   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
The edits on disc 3 are all explained in the liner notes.

OK, good then. I haven't received my box yet.

I'm generally happy with the audio, but it's a little bit depressing that this is all the decent stuff Frank preserved in 1970.

A few instrumental bits on the 4th disc are clearly soundboard recordings (albiet distorted). Why not these full shows? Missing from the vault? No vocals on the tape? I guess anything is possible.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2020-06-30 01:31   [Quote] 
richast2 wrote:
This is a great box set -- exactly what I'd hope for from a Vault release. I'm glad they've dropped the various series in order to put sets together more organically. Like Halloween 73 and Roxy, this one brings together studio and live material to paint a fuller picture of what FZ was working on and what the band was capable of than a studio-only or live-only release would (I'm not saying they should all be like this--Hot Rats was a studio creation, so it made sense for that to be a studio-only release, but I digress).

That's not really a digression. The Hot Rats Sessions package still follows the same principles. They didn't just cherry pick the tracks, you get all those multiple takes and a feel of how that project came together. Not all the tracks on it will be lasting entertainment items, but are very welcome as a documentary.

justherb
usa.gif
Post 2020-06-30 02:32   [Quote] 
From Joe...

"Actually, there are a few songs that are edited between both shows due to issues with the original tapes, reels running out, bad levels. Whoever recorded the Santa Monica show was really having issues with the levels between ch1 and ch2. Adjustments were being made on the fly, most of which were balanced in post, but in some instances, one channel would drop out! Really frustrating. I did everything I could to make it a listenable experience, but even still Call Any Vegetable had to be cut down simply because of what I mentioned. The shows have a difference in overall sound, Spokane has more bass. John Polito did a good job of making these two shows talk to each other sonically. Hope you guys appreciate the effort, it's not ideal but it's historical AND it's literally the only shows in the Vault where you can actually hear the vocals. FZ's tapes recorded from the stage are very hard to deal with when it comes to the vocals sadly. It's amazing to think that the 1970 tours weren't recorded better, but it was most likely a budget thing I'm thinking. Somebody should have done the Dick Kunc method that captured the early MOI shows!!
Joe"
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-06-30 07:53   [Quote] 
Find some photos by Mike Barich & reviews of the show at the Depot:
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-06-30 07:53   [Quote] 
II
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-06-30 07:54   [Quote] 
III
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2020-06-30 11:33   [Quote] 
So the Minneapolis set was only 35 minutes, but somehow included both "scattered shafts of outrageous insult and sexual vulgarity" AND "King Kong" (judging by pics of Ian on soprano sax)!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2020-06-30 18:03   [Quote] 
Should have been here today but Amazon notified me that, although it has been shipped, there are problems with the transport and thus will likely not arrive today. This will add to the anticipation I guess. Sigh...

cheers

Buckalos
usa.gif
Post 2020-06-30 20:36   [Quote] 
Received shipping confirmation a couple of nights ago for my package... I ordered from the HiFi store for the T-Shirt bundle (I'm a sucker, I know...) instead of buying at my local record store (it's okay I work there and buy stuff from it practically every day) and have been waiting with baited breath...

Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-06-30 22:32   [Quote] 
WonkyWilly wrote:
The VPRO show is in some kind of strange fake stereo. Is this how the VPRO archived the recording or was this done deliberately? Either way, it's not pretty.

Maybe folding it down back to mono is an option. At least that's what I have been doing.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 19 of 21 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: