Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Looks like Frank & Gail have some company?!!
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
syncopatico
Post 2020-03-18 16:36   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
plus any talk of skeletons always conjures up lively glockenspiel music for me...

I think you mean the xylophone. (a glockenspiel has small metal bars & is played vertically, with a single little striker--but we know what you meant!) Very Happy

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-03-18 17:15   [Quote] 
Laughing
Yes, you're probably right.... this sort of stuff..
https://youtu.be/WlpmNljxz_4?t=194

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TOGFIADO
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2020-03-18 22:01   [Quote] 
Assuming the bodies are laid face up, I have a mental image of FZ whispering intoPatricia Pernetti Isaacs ear either "I am in you" or "I'm gonna ram it up your poop shute". Probably the latter. As the great man himself often remarked, "who gives a fuck anyway".

Last edited by TOGFIADO on 2020-03-18 22:44; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-03-18 22:44   [Quote] 
syncopatico wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
plus any talk of skeletons always conjures up lively glockenspiel music for me...

I think you mean the xylophone. (a glockenspiel has small metal bars & is played vertically, with a single little striker--but we know what you meant!) :D

xylon is Greek for wood. I think you mean an ossophone. And here's someone who had the same idea.

Actually, to stick to Greek and not mix it up with Latin, it should be osteophone. But apparently that's something else.

Whatever you call it, I bet Emil Richards had one in his collection.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-03-19 07:29   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
...xylon is Greek for wood. I think you mean an ossophone. And here's someone who had the same idea....

I'd like to see him play The Black Page on those...

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
 [Profile]  [PM] 
syncopatico
Post 2020-03-19 16:53   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
syncopatico wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

I think you mean the xylophone. (a glockenspiel has small metal bars & is played vertically, with a single little striker--but we know what you meant!) Very Happy

xylon is Greek for wood. I think you mean an ossophone. And here's someone who had the same idea.

Actually, to stick to Greek and not mix it up with Latin, it should be osteophone. But apparently that's something else.

Whatever you call it, I bet Emil Richards had one in his collection.

I didn't mean *actual* bones. damn! (don't take it so literally!) Shocked (and probably the OP didn't either?)

see at 4:00 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOGhAV-84iI etc., etc... (the ol' xylophone dancin' skeletons sound. Wink )

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2020-03-21 01:20   [Quote] 
syncopatico wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

You're thinking of the marching band version, more commonly referred to as a marching lyre. The modern glockenspiel is played horizontally with both hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMvivVtDis

polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2020-03-21 01:33   [Quote] 
Camille Saint-SaŽns - Danse Macabre

"The piece makes particular use of the xylophone to imitate the sounds of rattling bones."

syncopatico
Post 2020-03-21 17:17   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
syncopatico wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

You're thinking of the marching band version, more commonly referred to as a marching lyre. The modern glockenspiel is played horizontally with both hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMvivVtDis

Fancy! They didn't have those when I was back in school!
I had to go *ding, ding, ding* on the "marching lyre". Laughing

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-03-21 18:11   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
... The modern glockenspiel is played horizontally with both hands:

Yes! That's the one I meant! (I've never heard of the other - vertically played/single striker - one..)

[Profile]  [PM] 
syncopatico
Post 2020-03-21 21:07   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
yetanother wrote:
... The modern glockenspiel is played horizontally with both hands:

Yes! That's the one I meant! (I've never heard of the other - vertically played/single striker - one..)

I thought you meant one of these: (some of us dumb) Americans refer to them as glockenspiels (which I guess now is the wrong term--good to learn new things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYWo0LSPkE

either way, they sound nothing like "rattling bones", unlike how the (wooden) xylophone does. Rolling Eyes

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2020-03-21 21:25   [Quote] 
Ah, now I can see what you meant... I've never seen one of those before.

When I was at school (early '70s) the glockenspiel was just a small instrument - played horizontally with 2 very small mallets... and it only had one row (?) of metal bars... but it DID sound like the one in your linked vid.

Just a final clarification... When I said skeletons conjure up lively glockenspiel music I didn't mean the sound was like rattling bones... I rather meant that the ''tinkling'' sound of the glockenspiel reminded me of skeletons running away on tip-toes and the like... I probably should have been more clear... (and less silly)

[Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: