Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
RIP UK
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Author Message
yetanother
Power Poster
Joined: 2005-10-12
Posts: 6555
Location: Sampa Hell
brazil.gif
Post 2020-01-31 17:32   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
The bald facts of the matter are that the majority wins.

That's half the story. The other half is that the majority is stupid and easily manipulated. That's true for pretty much every country in the world.

_________________
nitramz.com
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
Joined: 2012-02-07
Posts: 3926
Location: Dwarf Nebula
england.gif
Post 2020-01-31 20:02   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
The bald facts of the matter are that the majority wins.

That's half the story. The other half is that the majority is stupid and easily manipulated. That's true for pretty much every country in the world.

Yeah, humans eh? I hate 'em but unfortunately we're stuck with them..

wingedeelfingerling wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
...yep where 38% voted for BREXIT parties and 62% against... you got to love democracy

I'm afraid your discomposure is affecting your grasp of the facts..

still not a majority in my view but you are right in that the UK has the government it deserves led by the leader it loves and his billionaire chums. I don't think our system is democratic and it is now so easily manipulated that money plus appeals to self interest and base instincts have made it a farce... The UK will be in the shit for decades I'm afraid...

Whilst I can agree with some of what you say I'd rather not complain too much about our system until I can come up with something better..

_________________
''Just consider this..... You can be scared when it gets too real...''
(FZ: ''It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal'')

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
Joined: 2012-02-07
Posts: 3926
Location: Dwarf Nebula
england.gif
Post 2020-01-31 20:06   [Quote] 
kewo69 wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:

I'd just like to say to our European cousins that many, many people here are, and always have been, pro-European, they just weren't pro-EU... We still like you.

We like you too, especially if youre in this forum

Thanks kewo69 high5

_________________
''Just consider this..... You can be scared when it gets too real...''
(FZ: ''It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal'')

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
staaan
Joined: 2013-03-09
Posts: 241
usa.gif
Post 2020-01-31 21:20   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
stupid and easily manipulated


Ain't that the truth, especially the easily manipulated part.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
Joined: 2010-08-28
Posts: 2381
uk.gif
Post 2020-01-31 23:30   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
The bald facts of the matter are that the majority wins.

That's half the story. The other half is that the majority is stupid and easily manipulated. That's true for pretty much every country in the world.


"You think you're cute. You think you're beautiful. But there's more of us ugly motherfuckers than you are."
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
obdewil
Joined: 2007-11-03
Posts: 128
Location: Freiburg
EU.gif
Post 2020-02-01 00:58   [Quote] 
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
Joined: 2009-09-03
Posts: 1432
burma.gif
Post 2020-02-03 18:40   [Quote] 
yummy
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
Joined: 2012-02-07
Posts: 3926
Location: Dwarf Nebula
england.gif
Post 2020-02-03 19:06   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
yummy

Yeah, makes you wonder why 3 million Europeans have bothered to apply for settled status in the UK when it's obviously so good over there and so crap here....

_________________
''Just consider this..... You can be scared when it gets too real...''
(FZ: ''It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal'')

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Joined: 2005-10-02
Posts: 196
Post 2020-02-04 02:01   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
yummy


Incomplete without Marmite ... Laughing
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 5507
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-02-11 01:26   [Quote] 
RIP old legendary "Auntie"???

I have always loved the work and the definition of the BBC and its excellent productions and documentaries. I would be shocked and infinitely sad if we had to do without large parts of this base of Western culture in the future.

In fact, the question arises as to whether Johnson's and Morgan's actual initiative is politically rather than technically motivated. Their attack on the BBC comes at a time when, in many places in Europe, public broadcasters are being denied their right to exist by populist movements.

In Hungary and Poland for example, the once independent broadcasters are now largely in the hands of right-wing populist and national conservative forces, and there is hardly any pluralism there.

In Austria, the right-wing populist FP repeatedly attacked ORF while it was participating in the government.

In Switzerland, a referendum was held in 2018 on public service broadcasting - which was based on its continued existence.

A worrying development for Europe!

And fortunately, these efforts are not yet recognizable in Germany, but populist parties like the AFD would prefer to abolish public service broadcasters.

Now the British have Mr. Johnson - now they have to deal with what that means.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
Joined: 2006-03-16
Posts: 5507
Location: Elsewhere in the Fatherland
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2020-02-12 00:20   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
yummy


Incomplete without Marmite ... Laughing


... and "fried Mars chocolate bars". Laughing
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
polydigm
Poster
Joined: 2005-10-28
Posts: 414
Location: Adelaide, Australia
australia.gif
Post 2020-02-12 05:50   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
yummy

Yeah, makes you wonder why 3 million Europeans have bothered to apply for settled status in the UK when it's obviously so good over there and so crap here....
That is less than half of one percent of the population of Europe. Fascism is more popular.

_________________
It's not what you think, it's what you do.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
polydigm
Poster
Joined: 2005-10-28
Posts: 414
Location: Adelaide, Australia
australia.gif
Post 2020-02-12 07:23   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
The bald facts of the matter are that the majority wins.

That's half the story. The other half is that the majority is stupid and easily manipulated. That's true for pretty much every country in the world.

A massive oversimplification. That assumes that everyone in the majority actually votes against their own interest.

One theory in brief: If you break down the British (or any First World) population into three thirds, loosely speaking, the first third is quite intelligent, the second third is moderately intelligent and the last third not so intelligent. It's wrong to call any of the first two thirds stupid or easily misled and many of the last third are not without common sense. The problem is conscience, not stupidity.

The first two thirds are probably roughly half conservative and roughly half forward thinking *, with both groups having intelligent reasons for being in either group. Let's say the last third can't fully reason logically who to follow and are randomly spread half and half conservative or forward thinking - at election time it only takes a small percentage of the forward thinking to be scared into shifting to a more conservative position to swing the result. The world is not yet in a bad enough state to start scaring people into the forward thinking group.

A significant proportion of that majority are not stupid and have logically reasoned their conservative perspective from the point of view of their own interests. This is a crisis of conscience, not a crisis of stupidity. The problem with believing that the majority of people are stupid is that it gives credence to neo conservative thinking that the majority of people should be led and validates all kinds of patronising forms of government.

* I'm using the term forward thinking loosely - I basically mean less self centred and more socially oriented, more likely to be concerned about social and environmental welfare - as opposed to conservatives who mostly couldn't give a shit about anyone other than themselves and only care about where the next profit haul is coming from.

_________________
It's not what you think, it's what you do.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
uncle max
Power Poster
Joined: 2013-03-20
Posts: 1461
Location: Hamburg
germany.gif
Post 2020-02-12 08:04   [Quote] 
Lord, have mercy on the people in England, For the terrible food these people must eat
(Bwaarp! . . . excuse me a minute)

prost

_________________
uncle max
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
Joined: 2012-02-07
Posts: 3926
Location: Dwarf Nebula
england.gif
Post 2020-02-12 11:30   [Quote] 
polydigm wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
yummy

Yeah, makes you wonder why 3 million Europeans have bothered to apply for settled status in the UK when it's obviously so good over there and so crap here....
That is less than half of one percent of the population of Europe....

That may be true but I'm more concerned that it's 5% of an already overcrowded UK population and 30%! of an already massively overcrowded London's population... You go to any one of our beautiful parks on a sunny afternoon and you won't enjoy yourself - if you like a bit of space around you - because it's standing room only! I'm not only talking about tourist places like Hyde Park but small local parks which haven't increased in size or number along with the population..
Or maybe you'd like to go through the experience of trying to find somewhere to live in this packed-to-the-rafters city (as many who were born in London and have family roots and ties that go back generations have) and you'll find it massively frustrating and next to impossible unless you're able to pay the half a million pounds sterling being asked for a studio flat in the shittier parts... (If you were looking for an air bnb it would be a different story of course). You have to go and live in the far reaches of the suburbs and even further into the counties (where you don't want to be and they don't want you) to get anything like a house for your half a million quid...
Even going for a simple walk is completely ruined (seven days a week I may add) by the risk of being pushed off the pavement and under a bus by a jogger or being flattened and then punched by a silent speeding cyclist for having the courage to cross the road.

And why have we got this ''attractive'' situation? Partly because we've got to make sure we've got enough skilled baristas and out of season strawberries..

Now I'm sure this all looks very different from over there in Australia but I can tell you that living in London is a much less pleasant experience than it was 20 or 30 years ago because there are too many people here, whoever they are (English included)
London should set an example and decide on the number of people it can successful ''sustain'' and stick to it.
The obsession with continuous growth being a good thing is totally outdated... On a finite planet with finite resources sustainability is the only way to go.

PS: The above is not to do with Brexit or European people... It's about overpopulation at large and the short-sighted and outdated policies of political parties of all shades which justify everything in a ''growth is always good'' way...

Pittylabelle wrote:
... and "fried Mars chocolate bars".

That's a Scottish thing and therefore something we're likely to be independent of shortly...

_________________
''Just consider this..... You can be scared when it gets too real...''
(FZ: ''It Just Might Be A One-Shot Deal'')

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 6 of 8 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar