Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
THE HOT RATS SESSIONS BOX SET
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
scherbe2003
Post 2019-12-22 01:37   [Quote] 
yeah, I also remember something like this. But I guess Ian told her a thing or two about how the sessions were going.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-12-22 02:56   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
I hope the book has pics of the players set ups. The box has NONE. I need to know what that cymbal looks like that Paul is using that sounds like a china cymbal.

Bill Gubbins met FZ in Warrensville Heights in August, so he wasn't there for any of the basic track sessions in July. His photos are of overdub sessions with FZ and Ian Underwood.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-12-22 14:58   [Quote] 
Disc 6 - Track 4 - Son Of Mr. Green Genes (1969 Mix Outtake)

WOW!! Really cool mix. The guitar solos are drenched in the reverb which makes it sound like it's double tracked. I like a lot BUT I am glad FZ chose to use a very dry mix for this and the rest of the album. This was a big factor in making HR sound so different than everything else in 1969 that was so riddled in psychedelia.

Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-12-22 15:56   [Quote] 
I generally don't buy downloads, except some baroque music where the CD was nearly impossible to find anymore. The print number is low so in two years used copies sell for 50 dollars.

Anyway, I never really looked at the booklets that came with digital stuff. All my questions on the Zappa item were answered in detail in the digital booklet. I had played most of the stuff in a rather confused state as to the unfamiliar tracks vs the old Hot Rats where i knew who was there.

So the 18 page booklet is fine, no complaints.

ADDED: When I get the LP a little later (waiting for some income, end of month here), will it have the booklet of the sessions? Obviously it won't list the 6 discs.

One question. Ian and “POUUALTHAHH" ?

Last edited by Tero on 2019-12-22 16:02; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-12-22 15:58   [Quote] 
there was more...

One question. Ian and “POUUALTHAHH...." ? something about gators.

wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-12-22 16:10   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
Idiot wrote:
Zappa.com wrote:
"Directly From My Heart To You" written by Richard Wayne Penniman aka Little Richard.

Yes, but for some reason they forgot to credit him here.

I have this 7 inch single what I love about Frank and Sugarcane's version is the way they get that sleazy beat just right... Richard Penniman one of the great composers and arrangers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCFrPZKp9A
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-12-22 19:40   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
I have this 7 inch single what I love about Frank and Sugarcane's version is the way they get that sleazy beat just right...

Sugarcane had actually played in Little Richard's band (circa 1964).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-12-22 22:48   [Quote] 
Jeez, mine only shipped today. It's in Queens, NY not too far from Lefrack City.
Hope I get it by Thursday, Friday latest when I have the time to devote to it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
divineswan
blank.gif
Post 2019-12-22 23:13   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
there was more...

One question. Ian and “POUUALTHAHH...." ? something about gators.

I'm presuming it was the vocal noises The Mother's used to make, prompted by Frank's hand signals. I think it's the puke sound.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-12-23 12:39   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
Disc 6 - Track 4 - Son Of Mr. Green Genes (1969 Mix Outtake)

WOW!! Really cool mix. The guitar solos are drenched in the reverb which makes it sound like it's double tracked. I like a lot BUT I am glad FZ chose to use a very dry mix for this and the rest of the album. This was a big factor in making HR sound so different than everything else in 1969 that was so riddled in psychedelia.

What do you think on the solo on Directly From My Heart? I love it controlled and dry as fuck. shows all those other white blues players how it should be done..
Agree that HOT RATS sounds like no other but disagree on the rest of 69 releases. Bands were moving away from psychedlia.. Led Zepplin, The Band, Rolling Stones Beatles CSNY Velvet Underground The Byrds Sly and the Family Stone etc all brought out albums with a clean more rootsy sound with few effects ...

Last edited by wingedeelfingerling on 2019-12-23 13:27; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-12-23 12:53   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Jeez, mine only shipped today. It's in Queens, NY not too far from Lefrack City.
Hope I get it by Thursday, Friday latest when I have the time to devote to it.

That’s terrible. Mine arrived Fromm Amazon early Friday evening December 20th as promised. It did come loose in a larger box. Larger enough to have a few inches to bounce around up and down and any which way..No additional packaging, paper or otherwise to keep it still. Arrived in fine condition though.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-12-23 15:07   [Quote] 
Jeez these players are old! Or dead! Underwood is 80. Only Shuggie Otis is roughly my age.

wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-12-23 16:09   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
Jeez these players are old! Or dead! Underwood is 80. Only Shuggie Otis is roughly my age.

Well it is the 50th anniversary!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-12-23 20:52   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
Tero wrote:

Well it is the 50th anniversary!

Heh, yeah the Debussy centennial was pretty quiet last year.

I'm actually enjoying parts of this release more than I thought I would, given that Hot Rats isn't that high up my list of Best Zappa CDs. Hearing the raw music absent the overdubs/studio revisionism on tracks such as "Natasha (Master Take)" is pretty interesting.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bazbo
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-12-24 06:20   [Quote] 
Gotcha!

Only played the first disc now. Great to hear how FZ constructed Peaches in session. And it all sounds superb. I'll have ages of fun with this box set. Don't call me before 2021.

Guitar Solo Baz

'ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL'
- for Walk(spoon) - gone, but never forgotten

www.bazbo.net
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 24 of 36 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: