Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
THE HOT RATS SESSIONS BOX SET
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-12-21 20:03   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
...on top there is the booklet (soft, LP-size), below that the 6 CDs in an LP-size bookcover/board-like structure, and below that the board game...between the booklet and the CDs there's a little plastic bag with some guitar picks...

Is there just one booklet? So far, I only have a digital one, which doesn't include any of Andee Nathanson's unreleased photos or her 'vivid' account of the shoot with Miss Christine.

Thinman wrote:
BTW, I noticed...Directly From My Heart To You mysteriously became a FZ composition (can only be an error of course).

Zappa.com wrote:
"Directly From My Heart To You" written by Richard Wayne Penniman aka Little Richard.

Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-12-21 20:05   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Is there just one booklet? So far, I only have a digital one, which doesn't include any of Andee Nathanson's unreleased photos or her 'vivid' account of the shoot with Miss Christine.

Yes, it's all there just in one booklet.

Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-12-21 20:11   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Zappa.com wrote:
"Directly From My Heart To You" written by Richard Wayne Penniman aka Little Richard.

Yes, but for some reason they forgot to credit him here.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-12-21 20:22   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
2. The Zappa Family Trust has lost the Family and is now just the Zappa Trust

Probably worried about 'The Trade Descriptions Act'...

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-12-21 20:30   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
Idiot wrote:

Yes, it's all there just in one booklet.

Ugh! My digital version has just 18 pages.

cosmikd
Contributor
france.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-12-21 20:38   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:

Like, a text by Ponty would have been a substantial addition. Does anyone know whether they didn't bother to ask him or whether he refused? Or is Ponty on bad terms with the ZFT for some reason or other?

Ponty participated only on one track in overdub after the sessions and I think was a test before the King Kong recording.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-12-21 21:14   [Quote] 
cosmikd wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:

Like, a text by Ponty would have been a substantial addition. Does anyone know whether they didn't bother to ask him or whether he refused? Or is Ponty on bad terms with the ZFT for some reason or other?

Ponty participated only on one track in overdub after the sessions and I think was a test before the King Kong recording.

Jean-Luc Ponty wrote:
“I don’t really play much in there. I just played one song. In fact, what happened is that he was recording Hot Rats at the same time when we met. So, he invited me to go to his studio so that we know each other a little better before he works on my album. So, I came with my violin and he said, ‘Would you like to play in this song?’ So, yes I played just that melody.”

jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-12-21 21:31   [Quote] 
The box is no longer listed on the Zappa.com store.

Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-12-21 21:33   [Quote] 
Listening HRS...I´m speechless... what a listening experience...those jams... what a monstrous genius Exclamation

And Happy Birthday, Frank Exclamation
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-12-21 22:13   [Quote] 
There is some insane SICK jamming on Big Legs. The engineer? wasn't kidding when he said "Man that 'sho was a lotta big legs" at the end.

jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-12-21 22:21   [Quote] 
Paul Humphrey's drumming is sick on SOMGG and Big Legs. I would have loved to hear what he would have done with WTP.

I hope the book has pics of the players set ups. The box has NONE. I need to know what that cymbal looks like that Paul is using that sounds like a china cymbal.

scherbe2003
Post 2019-12-21 22:34   [Quote] 
cosmikd wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:

And still that test ended up on the album. Beefheart is also heard only on one song but I'd bet my hat (if I had one) they would have gone for some statement were he still alive.

Generally it would have been a cool thing to have statements from everybody involved or around who are still alive and able to talk. Even so for potential hangers-on, they might shed a completely different light on the affair.

As for Ian Underwood, to me it's a pity he didn't say anything also about the actual recording procedures, especially after he got an atypically (for the Z(F?)T) far-reaching credit:

"Profound thanks to Ian Underwood. His collaboration with the composer and contribution to Hot Rats cannot be overstated. The album would not be what it is without his prodigious multi-instrumental abilities, high standards and complete commitment to the music." (booklet p. 6)

If anyone could still present the big picture of what went on in the studio, it's him. Is there perhaps an interview somewhere that escaped me? Hard to imagine nobody talked to him on the occasion of the 50th anniversary and the present release.

Idiot wrote:
Ugh! My digital version has just 18 pages.

Bad luck, dude! The booklet in the box has 28 pages. And I guess there's no digital version of the guitar picks either. Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-12-21 23:44   [Quote] 
Ian Underwood did a brief liner note for Meat Light a few years ago. For some reason he has never seemed to want to talk very much about Zappa. (His ex-wife Ruth is rather the opposite.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2019-12-22 00:39   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
(His ex-wife Ruth is rather the opposite.)

Yeah, seems like she had to sit in for Ian, helping Joe with his notes. In principle, she was already in Zappa's orbit by the time HR was recorded, no? So in principle even she could possibly have a story to share. But I can't recall when she actually moved to LA.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-12-22 00:46   [Quote] 
I don't have Pauline Butcher Bird's book on hand now, but I remember she wrote a lot about Ian, his relations with Zappa and his long-distance relationship with Ruth (studying at Juilliard in New York while Ian was in L.A. with the Mothers) in 1968/69.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 23 of 36 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: