Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
David Logeman - Criminally underrated Zappa drummer?
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2014-03-06 18:52   [Quote] 
Yeah, Chris Cutler is def. one of these drummers who can not only play his arse off, but has loads of real weirdness to lift his playing to another new wonderful level. I saw one of his improv concerts with two other musicians and I did like his percussion concepts.

As per Robert Wyatt, he played well on many Soft Machine albums ("Virtually" contains some of his best live drumming from the Softs' jazz-fusion era), but played a bit sloppily on some other concerts, like the 1969 Hyde Park and also the performance of "Moon In June" for Belgian TV 1969 is horrendous: poor chap even drops his sticks during Mike's organ solo. Part of the blame possibly lies on Robert's heavy drinking during that period, even Elton Dean used to play his sax sloppily every now and then, he too drank a shit ton of liquor!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DoctorNerve
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2014-03-07 15:26   [Quote] 
Wyatt was just a fun guy to listen to albeit - like Ed mentioned - his sloppiness was at the fore sometimes. haha.

Elton - he could be the worst sometimes. I cant remember which album it was - Either BBC 72 or Live in France - I think it was France - he is pretty off on just about every tune -or just enough to ruin the sucker.

I didnt know they drank that much!

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2014-03-07 15:35   [Quote] 
I believe on Live In Paris (1972 with John Marshall on drums) he said in interviews he played keyboard much of the gig because he wasn't happy with the sax sound.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2014-03-07 17:34   [Quote] 
It's certainly 40% of the time when Elton played Fender Rhodes on "Live in Paris" '72 concert. It's quite likely that the tune called "And Sevens" is partially based on "Virtually" off Fourth. But it's unrecognisable as such, because this tune features two keyboards, rather than alto sax. I definitely notice that Elton's sax sound on that gig was more distorted than usual, but some of his solos seem to be quite musical nonetheless. But one's mileage may vary, I do think it's certainly the "Live in Paris" album you're referring to. "BBC 72" already has Karl Jenkins in his stead.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Twilkes
Post 2019-11-29 20:16   [Quote] 
What a difference a mix makes. Iíd always been interested in the spring 1980 band, and Tommy Marsís keyboard solo from the Paris 1980 video is one of my favourite things he did with Zappa, with hints of it all through a lot of his solos on that tour. But the sound was always a bit thin, like there was a musician or two missing, and it never sounded like there were three guitarists on stage, and the material always sounded a bit straight-laced with some songs in the setlist I didnít really care for, the first third/half of the show was always the best.

But I listened to the soundboard from the 29th April Tower Theater early show and it is SOLID Ė Logemanís drums sounds great, close and punchy, and the balance of the bass and keyboards somehow seems to fill all the gaps. Pound for a Brown is great, especially the end where the whole band takes on FZís second solo for a full group improv ending with quotes from (I think?) WÝŲŲÝĺ. And the end of Easy Meat has a big tritone thing going on which Iíve never heard before, a really big sound for that small band. And the vocals are great, somehow richer than 1984 even though three quarters of the voices are the same. Similar thoughts on the Geneva soundboard.

Logeman and Barrow have a real bounce in the rhythm section which I donít think any other band had to quite the same extent, putting the roll into rock n roll, they would have done a great version of Stranded In The Jungle. His drumming was more straight ahead but there are times when I wish FZ would solo a bit more straight and stop messing around with the off-pulse rhythms so much Ė maybe an FZ from 71 or 75/76 would have worked better in this band, not having gone Ďoutí as much from playing with Bozzio and Vinnie so much. If you actually listen to what Logeman plays thereís some complex and subtle stuff in there and most of the time he nails it, itís just maybe not as in your face as some other drummers.

I wonder if itís because this band comes between 78-79 and fall 80 that it gets overshone, and the YAWYI songs were done much more elaborately in 81/82 so a lot of the setlist is almost of academic interest, but there must be a decent single CD official release compilable from the vault tapes somewhere.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-29 21:12   [Quote] 
If they have tapes from the last week or two of the European tour I'd enjoy a release of one of those shows.

1980 vocals were very nice. 1984 same singers plus Bobby Martin (and briefly Napoleon), but age had taken a bit out of Ike and FZ's voices.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Twilkes
Post 2019-11-29 21:34   [Quote] 
That's exactly it, the 'I can't wait to see' loop at the end of Outside Now is sublime.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-12-02 12:09   [Quote] 
Always liked the Logeman band and Logeman's drumming. Nice to see he's getting some TLC here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 6 of 6 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: