Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Jan Erik Kongshaug  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
bazbo
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-11-05 20:05   [Quote] 

(4 July 1944 - 5 November 2019)

Crying or Very sad

'ALL FOR ONE, ONE FOR ALL'
- for Walk(spoon) - gone, but never forgotten

www.bazbo.net
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-11-05 20:44   [Quote] 
Who?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2019-11-05 21:02   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
Who?

The most important sound engineer for ECM, who recorded Terje Rypdal and many many others. The founder and owner of Rainbow Studio, Oslo. The "inventor" of a particularly pleasant type of sonic landscape, home of much great music.

CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-11-05 22:04   [Quote] 
RIP
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-11-05 22:19   [Quote] 
RIP

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-11-06 03:30   [Quote] 
To those who have any idea of recorded music history, all ya gotta say is: "ECM."
Either one swoons or recoils (admittedly dated thinking as matters have evolved, but still...)
Maybe one has to be of a certain age to "get it," but love it or hate it, it changed the musical world.
I can still clearly see old, dear friends absolutely enraptured as they talked about and spun those records.
It was so moving to witness that while I may not have been enjoying it, I would never dismiss it. I was sitting in
their church and paying respect was paramount.

RIP, sir!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-06 06:05   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
Who?

The most important sound engineer for ECM, who recorded Terje Rypdal and many many others. The founder and owner of Rainbow Studio, Oslo. The "inventor" of a particularly pleasant type of sonic landscape, home of much great music.

That sonic landscape was one of a few important factors that also included at times absolutely fantastic musicians basically given free reign if they could do it in a short session. They were plenty of misses but when it came together it resulted in some fantastic records. Late 70s through the mid-80s was from a sort of golden era for ECM
 [Profile]  [PM] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-11-06 08:19   [Quote] 
rubbershirt wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
Who?

That sonic landscape was one of a few important factors that also included at times absolutely fantastic musicians basically given free reign if they could do it in a short session. They were plenty of misses but when it came together it resulted in some fantastic records. Late 70s through the mid-80s was from a sort of golden era for ECM

Ah, ok, with you now.. I had a tape of Koln which I played all the time at one point... In fact I may dig it out for a listen.. probably 35 years since I heard it.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-11-06 11:53   [Quote] 
RIP. Great respect for his body of work. Him, Bruce Swedien and Steve Nye are my subjective faves.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
belew-vibe
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-06 15:45   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
Who?

If he had a hand in Terje's Odyssey 2 LP set, then he is certainly a friend of mine... RIP.

TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2019-11-06 16:11   [Quote] 
My vinyl was always strictly alphabetical then chronilogical except the ECM... all together in "E", then alphabetical then chronilogical. A strange thing to do, thinking about it, but the 80's was a pretty strange time all in all.

R.I.P. J.E.K.

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-06 19:47   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
My vinyl was always strictly alphabetical then chronilogical except the ECM... all together in "E", then alphabetical then chronilogical. A strange thing to do, thinking about it, but the 80's was a pretty strange time all in all.

R.I.P. J.E.K.

I have genres labeled “Zappa” and another “ECM” because it just makes more sense to me then having some Zappa under classical etc.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-11-07 23:37   [Quote] 
Thanks to the FZ connection, I came to be introduced into the world of ECM by none other than L. Shankar's Who's to Know album. Mesmerising music - and boy can he play! Shocked
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rubbershirt
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-08 01:18   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
Thanks to the FZ connection, I came to be introduced into the world of ECM by none other than L. Shankar's Who's to Know album. Mesmerising music - and boy can he play! Shocked

That’s an amazing album. He told me he practiced 20 hours a day leading up to the recording. Sounds crazy but he said it with a straight face.

The Epidemics featuring a drum machine as well as Steve Vai. Pretty sure it’s the worst ECM record in the catalog. When I mentioned it to Vai he was quite embarrassed that I brought it up.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-11-11 19:52   [Quote] 
popped up on my jazz gazette feed this weekend. Quick, informative read.

Manfred Eicher: "You Can't Record Everybody"
https://www.stereophile.com/content/manfred-eicher-you-cant-record-everybody
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: