Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Society Pages USA Cover Scans by Rob Samler
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 66 ]

robsam
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-10-27 15:21   [Quote] 
2019-10-26 Society Pages USA Cover Scans by Rob Samler (former co-publisher of the ill-fated best Zappa Fanzine ever...
at least in my opinion!)
So When I was back in California in August seeing the all too short "No Holograms Allowed Tour" of the Hologram
Band, I went to my brother's garage and grabbed some of the few Zappa treasures I have left. One dearest to my
heart and maybe yours too... (who knows?) is my pristine set of the 12 Society Pages USA that me, Den Simms,
Eric Buxton (very little) worked so hard on. I don't want to get into what happened to the fanzine but let's just say it
was too heavy personality wise and I was stuck in the middle. So I bowed out and put in Den Simms capable hands
but something in his personal life went horribly wrong and the fanzine died after only 12 issues. I don't know what
became of Eric ir Den but I never had any bad feelings towards them... they were my friends. The great thing is
that we interviewed FZ twice and the first time which lasted almost 4.5 hours Frank appropriately named "The
Interview of the Century" and is now know as one of the best interviews Frank ever did. If I could magically go
in a time machine back to anytime in my life it would be December 22, 1989 the night we interviewed Frank in
the infamous UMRK basement. It was a thrill to be there and a rush to make Frank laugh a few times. The thing I'll
remember most was when we thanked Frank for his time he said the following...it was actually Den would said this:

DEN SIMMS: We really wanna thank you for doin' this interview.

FRANK ZAPPA: Hey, it's the least I can do, y'know. If I've got a fan, I owe them this!

DEN SIMMS: Well, there's a lot of other people who don't look at their fans quite that way, y'know.

FRANK ZAPPA: Well, they're wrong.

I know Frank said that to us three but I strongly believe he was talking about all of his fans. Just the kind, humble
and generous man he was towards his fans. He's my role model and hero. Thanks for everything Frank, I miss you!

Getting back to these scans... I am in the long and laborious/tedious process of scanning every Society Pages USA
from cover to cover in high quality. I'm using an HP Envy 5000 series at 600DPI with a low setting on the compression.
The pictures look a little grainy but it was 30 years ago so printing wasn't what is today. I have a lot of work to do to
straighten out the scans, clean them as best as I can in Photoshop and of course it takes forever to scan just one issue!

That said here is a tease of the covers from each issue. I'm moving tomorrow back to the the US & A so it's going
to take me a while to get full issues uploaded. If all goes well I will begin sharing my photo collection here too finally!. I'm tired
of being the antagonist asshole on here and I really do want to share my Zappa photo collection. All I can say is fuck
Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twittter and all those other sites where people are encouraged to steal photos from
websites like Zappateers, re-post them and not ask permission or even bother giving photo credit or proper date and venue
information. Well, all I cab say is who and what the fuck?! I want you guys to see my photos so if the assholes want to steal my photos let
eat a big bowl of shit in the place where the guy with the red suit and the pitchfork hangs out.

In the meantime, I really hope you enjoy this preview. I promise to be a better Zappateer from now on and not let my
emotions get the best of me. Sorry for being such a prick in the past. Hope you can forgive me.
Thanks to Frank... Music is the BEST! (FZ)

Last edited by robsam on 2019-10-27 16:58; edited 2 times in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-10-27 15:48   [Quote] 
Thanks Rob
Looking forward to things to come.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
galactictkd
usa.gif
Post 2019-10-27 19:41   [Quote] 
Thanks for sharing!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
dannyv21
uk.gif
Post 2019-10-28 10:15   [Quote] 
Many thanks for these Rob, I look forward to the full issues one day Smile Smile

TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2019-10-28 11:36   [Quote] 
Thanks Rob

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-10-28 11:58   [Quote] 
Of course we forgive you Rob, you shouldn't even have to ask! It's only the internet after all...

Thanks for the preview.

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-10-28 12:16   [Quote] 
Fantastic Rob and thanks! I have some of these Society Pages issues in storage somewhere. I don't know if I subscribed from you guys at the time or got them another way. I know I was very excited to receive them since before the internet you guys and a handful of other people (Murray in Australia and a guy in Sweden) were all the FZ fans that I knew existed for real! imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ziaka
usa.gif
Post 2019-10-28 17:47   [Quote] 
Thanks Rob. I still have the whole set of Society Pages, including the one with my article on Michael Kocab visiting Frank in Los Angeles.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-10-29 14:02   [Quote] 
This is just the beginning of the new Rob Samler and me sharing more stuff on here. I love Zappateers and even the members who hate me.

You're very welcome for the scans. I will share each issue in order and then come my Zappa pictures.

Thank you for the.nice comments and support. Thank you also for the criticism and the shit you've given me for my bullshit in the past. I will keep that shit in mind in the future so I will remember to be a better person.

Music is the BEST! (FZ)

kewo69
spain.gif
Post 2019-10-29 15:09   [Quote] 
Wow, Rob, thank you so much
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-10-31 23:22   [Quote] 
Thanks, Robsam.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
robsam
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 02:25   [Quote] 
Are you Zappa Freaks for the complete issue #1? Coming very soon to a tracker near you!!!

Here's a picture I just took of the entire collection with various Zappa decorative artifacts enhancing the picture to certain degree!

robsam
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 02:27   [Quote] 
And here are some pictures I took of my extremely large sized Zappa photos and photocopies.... Enjoy the arfness!

robsam
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 02:28   [Quote] 
And here's some more of these large photos, etc...

robsam
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-11-01 02:29   [Quote] 
Don't answer yet... look what else you get!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT

Jump to: