Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Shut up guitar mixing
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Wips
usa.gif
Post 2019-10-12 14:51   [Quote] 
Does anybody have any insights as to how Frank achieves the amazing mix of his guitar on the shut up albums? Did he just have a dual mic setup recording, and pan each mike left and right so he gets that delicious minuscule delay offset? I don't know what it is, but I love the mixing of that guitar.

I remember in one interview he talks about recording with dual mike and they are offset in DISTANCE from the amp . . .? Maybe that could be the secret sauce that gets me all jazzed up and sends little shivers down my spine when I listen to Shut Up And Play Your Guitar- check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvB5dQHvRSc&list=PLGWTEMCWd6Ij0oRIazOLkBYvhyZYqmSJ2

Listen to Franks' run at 4:24 - 4:46. Simply amazing. Laughing There also must be some sort of flange effect or phase effect. Subtle- but where is it exactly? on both channels? Only on one? it's hard to tell.

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks gang. : )

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-10-13 07:57   [Quote] 
He had all types of gadgetry he applied in postproduction, but he did at least at times (as can be heard on some SBDs) have the stereo effects you mentioned going in concert as well (like in quite a few 1980 shows).

There's another thing he did for SUNPYG though:

Steve Vai doubled a lot of the solos in the studio.

That may also account for some of the sound you hear.

Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-10-13 08:46   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:

What?

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-10-13 10:20   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
Gwonam wrote:

What?

he doubled the guitar parts he transcribed IIRC.

Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-10-13 10:39   [Quote] 
I'm afraid you don't remember correctly.

What I remember is a Mark Pinske interview where he describes that SV was hired to transcribe solos at first and was able to play along to some of them in the studio. That was part of his audition. As far as I know nothing of that is on the records. Or do you really think something like Pink Napkins has additional tracks by SV on it?

You might be thinking of Sinister Footwear on You Are What You Is, which is also in the book. And the doubling is very obvious. Nothing like that happens on SUAPYG. I'm pretty sure I would hear that.

What Frank probably did on SUAPYG was re-amping some of the his guitar tracks to alter the sound.

father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-10-13 11:49   [Quote] 
Dunno if this helps anything..
HughGotIt wrote:
From the Mark Pinski Interview:
Quote:
... For instance, we would do something like "What's New in Baltimore" from Hamburg, and then we would cut away to the 2-inch tape from the Hammersmith Odeon because Frank loved the way the guitar sounded in that theater.

PS; I bought SUNPYG when it came out and it's been one of my favourite albums ever since but I don't ever remember thinking that Steve Vai played on it....

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-10-13 13:32   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:

What I remember is a Mark Pinske interview where he describes that SV was hired to transcribe solos at first and was able to play along to some of them in the studio. That was part of his audition. As far as I know nothing of that is on the records. Or do you really think something like Pink Napkins has additional tracks by SV on it?

You might be thinking of Sinister Footwear on You Are What You Is, which is also in the book. And the doubling is very obvious. Nothing like that happens on SUAPYG. I'm pretty sure I would hear that.

What Frank probably did on SUAPYG was re-amping some of the his guitar tracks to alter the sound.

As I recall Vai sent FZ a demo tape of his band and a transcription of "Black Napkins." This led to FZ asking him to transcribe the "Sinister Footwear" solo which Vai then doubled in the studio, after which FZ had him play on other tracks from YAWYI and then join the touring band.

Vai didn't double the solos from SUNPYG.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-10-13 13:45   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
Vai didn't double the solos from SUNPYG.

Either way, this is the important message.

epistrophy
mongolia.gif
Post 2019-10-13 16:13   [Quote] 
A couple of years ago Dweezil mentioned in several interviews about how he incorporated some kit into his onstage guitar rig that was a key part of the stereo SUNPYG sound. Apologies for the vagueness, but I remember he talked about it in several interviews. From memory (and it's failed me before!) I understood the kit was part of Frank's studio rig, so it may be exactly the kind of information the original poster is looking for.

Edit: try here first https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/dweezil-comes-clean
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Wips
usa.gif
Post 2019-10-13 17:12   [Quote] 
Thanks, all!

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-10-13 19:58   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:

Not the first delusion you try to pass off as truth in this forum, to be fair.

As far as I know, the only solo by FZ Vai ever doubled for an official release was the "Theme from the 3rd movement of Sinister Footwear" on YAWYI - and "The Dangerous Kitchen" and "Jazz Discharge Party Hats", if you want to count those.

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-10-13 20:41   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
Gwonam wrote:

Not the first delusion you try to pass off as truth in this forum, to be fair.

As far as I know, the only solo by FZ Vai ever doubled for an official release was the "Theme from the 3rd movement of Sinister Footwear" on YAWYI - and "The Dangerous Kitchen" and "Jazz Discharge Party Hats", if you want to count those.

Always with the hostility.

Have you never gotten anything wrong?

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-10-13 21:10   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:

Yes, but I don't systematically affirm factoids or fantasy without checking them first, and when I don't know something, I let someone else answer.

Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-10-13 22:37   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
Gwonam wrote:

Yes, but I don't systematically affirm factoids or fantasy without checking them first, and when I don't know something, I let someone else answer.

it's not like i constantly talk out of my ass. we all do at times.

the way you worded it was very insulting honestly.

NonFoods
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-11-04 21:35   [Quote] 
There's an old Guitar Player magazine interview with Vai claiming that he doubled the guitar part on 'The Deathless Horsie'.

I had quite a debate about that interview back in the day on zappa.com with the other person claiming to be in touch with Vai's webmaster who asked Steve if it was true and Steve denied it.

I got in touch with the original interviewer who didn't want to get involved or say anything that would call into question Vai's good name. I'm convinced from our conversation that Vai did, in fact, make the claim during the interview.

https://www.afka.net/Mags/Guitar_Player.htm

February 1983 issue

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: