Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Barfko Swill : Trout Mask Replica re-release.
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner
ephceetera
Poster
Post 2014-12-13 15:17   [Quote] 
Nice then, didn't bother to check. I just thought it's louder and nothing else. Really, messing with that record would be pissing on it anyways, even if it improved the sound. Some things ARE sacred after all. I was thoroughly pleased with the ZFT Bat Chain Puller - that one I was more curious about sound wise cuz I always really really liked that record concerning Don's vocals, man did he sing great from '75-'77. Plus it has Denny on it. But some stuff as I've suspected that, if simply released with good quality audio shows a few questionable mixing choices by Don and Kerry. Namely, Floppy Boot Stomp and Brickbats. The first one, just doesn't improve shit because Don's vocals are mixed x100000000000000000 louder than the rest of the band, and on Brickbats the same goes for the soprano sax. So since I didn't like these versions anyway, I didn't care. The rest except for the ultra drunk Hoboism is top notch. Actually, I should listen to Apes-Ma, hang on a sec - THE FUCK, I was right, it sounds LOUSY on the ZFT. It's the same fuckin' recording on Shiny Beast, come on. So much for quality control by the ZFT. I didn't pay anyway, the ZFT release is out of print for no clear reason and got the booklet so bleh.

Decals continues to have been decently released, and not that it was bad anyways on Rhino (WHERE'S MY DECALS AMAZON? I'LL NEVER FORGET/FORGIVE DECEMBER 2000 - BTW MA TOLD YOU GUYS TO FUCK OFF COS SHE ACTUALLY WASN'T CHARGED). But people will think that the best Don-produced record and fuckin best Don & Bill & John & Mark & Art record is a claustrophobia inducing headache.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2014-12-14 08:08   [Quote] 
The ZFT Bat Chain Puller was mastered several years ago by Bob Ludwig when he was going through a "brickwall the shit out of everything" phase. This is around the same time he mastered Trance-Fusion and A Token Of His Extreme, which also fell victim to this technique.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
ephceetera
Poster
Post 2014-12-14 08:51   [Quote] 
Didn't matter much, Floppy Boot Stomp and Brickbats still sound like shit; it's just a louder but cleaner BCP then. I'd rather have it than the who knows which generation tape we have (had?) here. Oh yeah and I'm listening to my vinyl rip of Trout after the ZFT AFTER the Reprise CDs - yes they brickwalled the ZFT and to a lesser extent compressed a lot of the bass on the Reprise. To hell with the ZFT. Will totally have to disagree with you or rather, the BRICKS showing up here in the ZFT on my Audition.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2015-04-08 07:44   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
Here's my comment that will hopefully "make the rounds".

Had Kaiser bothered to listen closely, he would see that most of the new version is free of the tape damage and dropouts that plague the old CD. And the only "boost" I hear is some shaping in the bottom end and some additional treble that lifts away a slight veil. It is not overly bright and it's no more harsh in the upper midrange than the old CD, or the original LP, for that matter. There is no additional compression. That's the way those mixes SOUND. In addition, the old Reprise CD has a 20k haircut if you look at the spectral. The new one does not. I think it's a fine reissue.

I've been listening to the Warner CD lately, and can't say I've noticed glitches on the level of the one in Doctor Dark from the Enigma Decals. What exactly are you referring to when you talk about dropouts plagueing the old CD? As far as I can tell the imperfections on the Warner CD mostly match my 1975 Reprise LP - you know, tape warbles, cassette recordings on/off and even Zappa's lip noise during The Blimp (if you would call that an imperfection). Due to my own listening, Kaiser's reservations and the imprecise nature of the praise heaped on the ZFT issue - I'm still on the fence about the 2013 CD.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-04-08 23:50   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:

I've been listening to the Warner CD lately, and can't say I've noticed glitches on the level of the one in Doctor Dark from the Enigma Decals. What exactly are you referring to when you talk about dropouts plagueing the old CD? As far as I can tell the imperfections on the Warner CD mostly match my 1975 Reprise LP - you know, tape warbles, cassette recordings on/off and even Zappa's lip noise during The Blimp (if you would call that an imperfection). Due to my own listening, Kaiser's reservations and the imprecise nature of the praise heaped on the ZFT issue - I'm still on the fence about the 2013 CD.

Despite what Kaiser says, the original CD and the ZFT CD both sound exactly like the original LP. The original CD is riddled with tape dropouts and damage that do not appear on the earliest LP pressings. The ZFT CD fixes all of this, with two exceptions. There is nothing more to it than that. If you can't hear the defects, then the Reprise CD is fine.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2015-04-09 06:24   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:

Despite what Kaiser says, the original CD and the ZFT CD both sound exactly like the original LP. The original CD is riddled with tape dropouts and damage that do not appear on the earliest LP pressings. The ZFT CD fixes all of this, with two exceptions. There is nothing more to it than that. If you can't hear the defects, then the Reprise CD is fine.

I have been listening to a 1975 pressing for more than 30 years, and defects like tape warble in Ella Guru are ingrained in my impression of the album. If some of those defects are absent from the early Straight issues and the new cd, an upgrade is clearly desirable. A couple of exact examples would be helpful, though, since the album contains a whole lot of deficiences that are inherent to the production - especially in the field recordings and a capella numbers.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-04-09 09:02   [Quote] 
Unfortunately, I no longer have the Reprise CD to check for specific examples, but they appear all over the place really. You have to listen with headphones. The first song has quite a few.

I listen to the ZFT CD with the two "unfixed" tracks patched in from an early LP. You would never know it was a patch job. It's too bad that the ZFT did not do this, but I guess they did not want to resort to using vinyl. What they did was the absolute best that they could do with what tapes they had. You can hear how damaged the original master really is with those two tracks. It really is unacceptable from a quality standpoint. It's the same reason they had to restore "Freak Out", "Money", "Gravy" and "Uncle Meat" using sources other than the original master tape.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2015-04-09 09:04   [Quote] 
I suppose I need the 2013 CD after all... Thanks!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
JWB
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2015-04-09 09:10   [Quote] 
Take note that the original Reprise CD has *less* damage on those two songs, but there is still some damage there. The tape probably sheds precious oxide every time they play it. The early LP sounds like a pristine tape, as one would expect. The rest of the ZFT CD mirrors this quality.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-29 14:47   [Quote] 
JWB wrote:
Take note that the original Reprise CD has *less* damage on those two songs, but there is still some damage there. The tape probably sheds precious oxide every time they play it. The early LP sounds like a pristine tape, as one would expect. The rest of the ZFT CD mirrors this quality.

I once compared the 2013 Zappa Records CD to an LP-Rip of the 1969 Straight Records LP.

CD: Zappa Records ZR20014
LP: Straight 2 STS 1053

I think what JWB has already said here is correct.

In a direct comparison of one of the said pieces "Froanland", I immediately heard a kind of tape warbling in different places.
The comparison in the spectral view shows very well that there are actually some kind of breaks in the audio material.

For example at 00:00:06 mins. Especially in the right channel, there are interruptions - please see the examples.

I think that's what JWB means.

Froanland - Zappa Records 2013 CD.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  134.33 KB
 Viewed:  8 Time(s)

Froanland - Zappa Records 2013 CD.jpg

Last edited by Pittylabelle on 2019-09-29 14:57; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-29 14:48   [Quote] 
Froanland - Straight Records 1969 LP

Froanland - Straight Records 1969 LP.jpg
 Description:  
 Filesize:  125.91 KB
 Viewed:  7 Time(s)

Froanland - Straight Records 1969 LP.jpg

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 5 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> The Beefheart Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: