Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Orchestral Favorites 40th Anniversary Edition - Preorder!!
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-09-04 02:53   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
It's not easy to record full orchestras. This is pretty good for mid 70s. I have worse classical recordings. Baroque orchestras since 1990 have the clearest sound, and symphony orchestras are getting there. You do not need multiple players on the same instruments anymore for recording. Concerts are entirely different and the hall behaves differently for an audience and a microphone.

This is probably the comment of the year for me. Being a engineering / acoustician non professional this makes complete sense to me. Do you really need a whole bank of strings when a couple or a few can articulate the composition for recording? Asking as a non professional musician and probably rhetorically. imslow
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mower B. Yard
Post 2019-09-04 06:06   [Quote] 
Gwonam wrote:
Can someone compare Greggary Peccary with the audience source? There's what sounds like an edit at 3:01 on the cd. I'm not at home right now so i can't check

Edit: yup the section that followed had to be repeated due to some major fuckups, so we are missing about half a Minute i think.

Good catch. And Vaultmeister should be in charge of those edits for sure. I don't want complete, I want correct, like Zappa would want if he were here. Did I use the subjunctive correctly?

I don't even have this one yet, too busy with Tool. Soon though.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-09-04 08:00   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:
The spine of the digipak was (again) too generously dimensioned. This had (again) the result that the spine in the middle has buckled. Probably during transport, or even when shrink wrapped in from the factory. Retour!

Same here. JPC had packed it in one of those shrink-to-fit cardboard envelopes. I'll keep mine, though, because any replacement would be packed just the same.

I buy everything from JPC and never had any problems with their packaging, including this one.

philouze
france.gif
Post 2019-09-04 10:10   [Quote] 
This is a great release. Congrats and thanks to all involved. Merci Joe!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
kewo69
spain.gif
Post 2019-09-04 12:32   [Quote] 
It has just arrived!!! Great sound as were getting used to. First cd finished, Im gonna bite the second one later. Thanks Joe, Ahmet and all of the guys involved in the project.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle Z
Busy Poster
ukraine.gif
Post 2019-09-04 16:25   [Quote] 
I think Zappa is one of the greatest composers of our time.)

uncle Z
Busy Poster
ukraine.gif
Post 2019-09-04 16:26   [Quote] 
WITHOUT A DOUBT)

jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-09-04 23:54   [Quote] 
uncle Z wrote:

Are you new here?

scherbe2003
Post 2019-09-05 00:46   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:
The spine of the digipak was (again) too generously dimensioned. This had (again) the result that the spine in the middle has buckled. Probably during transport, or even when shrink wrapped in from the factory. Retour!

Same here. JPC had packed it in one of those shrink-to-fit cardboard envelopes. I'll keep mine, though, because any replacement would be packed just the same.

I buy everything from JPC and never had any problems with their packaging, including this one.

This was rather about the interaction of a too generously dimensioned CD digipack spine and JPC's tight packaging, although Pittylabelle may be right in assuming the buckled spine resulted already from the shrink-wrapping in the manufacturing place.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle Z
Busy Poster
ukraine.gif
Post 2019-09-05 09:16   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
uncle Z wrote:

Are you new here?

no, but I am pleased to state a fact

Pittylabelle
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-09-05 10:37   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
Thinman wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:

This was rather about the interaction of a too generously dimensioned CD digipack spine and JPC's tight packaging, although Pittylabelle may be right in assuming the buckled spine resulted already from the shrink-wrapping in the manufacturing place.

I bought it again at my local MediaMarkt a few days back now, where I happened to see a copy in perfect condition.
Have the first purchase sent back to jpc with "money back option".

I am also quite disappointed with jpc this time - because recently, they had made an extra effort for me
in a similar case: the item was specially selected for me and sent to me in a special packaging.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Minkukel
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-09-05 13:05   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
Pittylabelle wrote:

I have the same with my online store of choice, and I'm keeping mine as well. They're not going to pack it any differently than before. For some reason I'm only now realizing I could just pre-order stuff at a local record store and pick it up there. Whoopsie. Guess I'll do that next time I pre-order something that isn't a box set.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-09-06 16:04   [Quote] 
Did up discs 2 & 3 and.... this proves to be a top fave in archival releases.
Exciting all the way through. Downright harrowing as the orch takes on the challenge.
Bit bummed about the missing Captain, but such is life with elusive Captain Beefheart rarities
(hint hint to the ZFT: get us some!). I really enjoyed Bozzio's liners. No complaints here.
Far preferable to other reminisces. Can't wait to dive in again.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2019-09-06 17:55   [Quote] 
Minkukel wrote:
I'm only now realizing I could just pre-order stuff at a local record store and pick it up there. Whoopsie. Guess I'll do that next time I pre-order something that isn't a box set.

No more local record stores round here ... Sad
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2019-09-13 10:45   [Quote] 
Disc 1 is a revelation - love it. Zappa obviously liked the cheesy sound of Tommy's keyboard, and it is truly one of a kind. Time to give credit to the one and only Tommy Mars, who has the honor of finishing of the definitive version a great album in classic style.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 14 of 15 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: