Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Flower Punk
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Jim Lahey
Post 2019-02-26 04:30   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
Come to think of it the main riff might be performed with a Clavinet and not a guitar

I think they're both there but the clavinet is more prominent.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2019-02-26 10:28   [Quote] 
Jim Lahey wrote:
bleachboy wrote:
... which indicates that FZ used two if not sometimes three different speeds to finish a track. Must have been a nightmare to do !!

Does anyone else recall reading that the speed manipulation on this album was all done manually? Initially there was no "Variable Speed Oscillator" control, is how I understood it, at least not til after WOIIFTM. I wish I could remember where I thought I read this, but I'm sure someone more well versed might be able to cite the proper source.
You must think about « Varispeed », which is not an oscillator, just a way of modifiyng the recording and playback speed of a tape machine.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-26 12:54   [Quote] 
All that stuff was known by early 60s. George Martin did some piano parts speeded up on Beatles albums, he played them himself. The famous one is in In My Life. That is, he slowed down the tape and played along with it, speeded up for our version.

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-02-26 21:17   [Quote] 
Assistant engineer John Kilgore wrote:
As was the custom in those days, the varispeed was an HP (Hewlett Packard) sine wave oscillator hooked up to a Bogen amplifier set to output 110 volts at whatever frequency the oscillator was set to. The output of the Bogen was hooked up to the capstan motor in place of the usual speed control card that insured that the capstan’s power was a solid 60 Hz. So if you tuned the HP to 30 Hz, the tape machine would run at half speed, and if you set it to 120 Hz, it would run at double speed. There was no calibration. If you were trying to tune a track up or down to a specific pitch, you had to use your ears. here’s a page devoted to the oscillator:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170412145503/https://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/HP200CD.htm
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2019-02-26 21:28   [Quote] 
I had no idea ! Thanks !

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-02-27 00:31   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
Assistant engineer John Kilgore wrote:
As was the custom in those days, the varispeed was an HP (Hewlett Packard) sine wave oscillator hooked up to a Bogen amplifier set to output 110 volts at whatever frequency the oscillator was set to. The output of the Bogen was hooked up to the capstan motor in place of the usual speed control card that insured that the capstan’s power was a solid 60 Hz. So if you tuned the HP to 30 Hz, the tape machine would run at half speed, and if you set it to 120 Hz, it would run at double speed. There was no calibration. If you were trying to tune a track up or down to a specific pitch, you had to use your ears. here’s a page devoted to the oscillator:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170412145503/https://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/HP200CD.htm

Oh my, looks like an amazing piece of hardware to own.

LudzNL
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-02-27 21:04   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
Someone on the Hoffman forum shared recordings of the two channels slowed to the probable original speed (as I recall, the released recording is in the key of C while the slower versions are in F# and A). Fun listen.

uncle Z wrote:
Cam yop post a link please? Thank you)

http://rednoise.x10host.com/temp/FlowerPunkVoice.mp3

thumbsup

ephceetera
Poster
kyrgyzstan.gif
Post 2019-04-01 01:10   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
I was just curious if anyone had technical details on how this song was produced. I've been listening to it in headphones and I can see that it had a LOT of editing done to make it sound like it does. Frank definitely used at least 2 different recording speeds (and probably more), did this layering thing with a freaky distorted popping-in-and-out-of-existence electric guitar, did the background noises of the rest of the band going nuts, more layering of someone talking through a heavily overamplified distortion filter, and did the left and right spoken parts at different speeds (as best I can tell, left is 75% and right is 92%). (...)

Check this interview. Furthermore, pay attention to the part where Frank talks about the Apostolic Blurch/Vlorch Injector.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Franklin28
france.gif
Post 2019-06-07 09:27   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
The « hippie vamp » as FZ often played it was played in D (quoted in many many songs, Honey Don’t You Want A Man Like Me for example). One might guess that the original instrumental basic track was recorded in D, slowed down to record the vocals and the whole mix speeded up to B as we know it ?

I’ve tried many times to match the speeds of various tracks on WOIIFTM to the original instrumental speeds featured on Lumpy Money, and more often than not the vocals are still not at the correct speed, well, SOME vocal parts are but most of them aren’t Renégociation crédit immobilier, which indicates that FZ used two if not sometimes three different speeds to finish a track. Must have been a nightmare to do !!

In fact, it's pretty easy but you just need the speed is the same, otherwise you will get a poor sound.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Jim Lahey
Post 2019-06-09 09:23   [Quote] 
ephceetera wrote:
Check this interview.

Frank Zappa wrote:
"I don't want to be critical of the LSO, because they really gave it their all and struggled valiantly with the problems at hand. They weren't fuckin' off; they were really putting out the energy."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: