Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The return of the edited... Frank Zappa back on the road! The Hologram Tour
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Pittylabelle
Contributor
germany.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-05-16 01:34   [Quote] 
Twilkes wrote:
... FZ always used whatever technology was available to him,
and there's no telling what he would have done in the last 25 years ...

Exactly, there's no telling what he'll have done in the last 25 years - and all the thoughts
people make in this context are pure speculation and therefore superfluous.

And to speak of his last concerts ...
However, for example it is clear that he was not even enthusiastic about the idea of integrating this visual
dance elements of the Canadian group "La La Human Steps" into the concept of his very last official
Yellow Shark Concerts in 1992 (Frankfurt, Berlin, Vienna). This idea had obviously been grafted later
to the concert concept.

In a press interview he said something like this: "It just distracts from the music and we
just took it with us to satisfy the spirit of the age - I do not need all this 'Michael Jackson stuff."
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-05-16 01:55   [Quote] 
I'm way more numb and exhausted reading this thread than by watching Ahmet's visuals.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-05-16 05:29   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
I'm way more numb and exhausted reading this thread than by watching Ahmet's visuals.

laughing my ass off laughing my ass off laughing my ass off
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-05-16 07:22   [Quote] 
Pittylabelle wrote:
Twilkes wrote:
... FZ always used whatever technology was available to him,
and there's no telling what he would have done in the last 25 years ...

Exactly, there's no telling what he'll have done in the last 25 years - and all the thoughts
people make in this context are pure speculation and therefore superfluous.

And to speak of his last concerts ...
However, for example it is clear that he was not even enthusiastic about the idea of integrating this visual
dance elements of the Canadian group "La La Human Steps" into the concept of his very last official
Yellow Shark Concerts in 1992 (Frankfurt, Berlin, Vienna). This idea had obviously been grafted later
to the concert concept.

In a press interview he said something like this: "It just distracts from the music and we
just took it with us to satisfy the spirit of the age - I do not need all this 'Michael Jackson stuff."

Right!

Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-05-16 08:00   [Quote] 
epistrophy wrote:
… For me, the low point was the pre-recorded mystery vocal chorus on Why Does It Hurt …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXlq7Drh1Bw
Asked again: who created that?

TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2019-05-16 09:50   [Quote] 
oofers wrote:
Put another way -- do you think a lot of people went to these shows expressly *for* the holograms and multi-screen visuals? My gut says no from what I'm hearing. Wasn't it the band that caused you to go, if you went? Hell, the ones that aren't attending strictly for integrity issues would probably have gone to see the exact same musicians perform the exact same setlist, sans the visual clutter.

I mostly agree with all you said, but the band is not that different to several incarnations of Banned From Utopia. Despite spreading the word as much as we could of their tours, many venues could only muster crowds in the low hundreds at best. Ahmet has an excellent commercial brain, and getting attendence levels into the thousands must be attributed to him. MK, and the bold unfulfilled promise of "guest alumni" may have contributed too. Clearly Ahmet has put a massive amount of time and effort into this project, which he must be commended for, even if we don't all agree entirely with his vision or direction. It has put Frank back on the front cover of music magazines and redirected the 'chat' to be about the music.

For me, the comprimise of the musicians on stage for the 'technology' was too much. Despite the projection system demanding more centre stage space than Jeff Beck, from my front row seat I could only see Frank from the elbows up in the Palladium. And the technology still seems ropey. I saw three shows, and the lip-sync was slightly different each time. And that's despite their best efforts of Frank's mouth being hidden by a very large (studio?) microphone most of the time. I suspect the image needs to be started long before the audio to get through all the video proccessors, so a tough task I'm sure. I did really like the simple animation that accompanied Montana, and several people said things like "is it wrong that I enjoyed the Dinah-moe Humm video?".
Adding Frank's vocals to the incredible Ray and Robert does bring back memories of past live performances, so that worked for me. But I think no improvement over Dweezils Roxy video screen sync. So, if the projection was made into hi-res video and it was all on a screen at the back of the stage, and the musicians were restored to their rightful positions, it would have made my experience that much better.

father-0blivion wrote:
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
... any other famous people spotted?
TPS

father-0blivion
Carl Palmer (ELP, or is it just P now?)
Sam Ward (guitarist, Treacherous Cretins)
John Parkinson (drummer, Treacherous Cretins)
Andrew Greenaway the famous author
Tom Waring (Dweezils UK European tour manager)
LOTS of Zappateers
Guy from Gentle Giant that MK introduced me to, his name evades me.
Guy that organised Zappa Roundhouse golden tickets. He said hi, and again I blanked out!
Sadly not bohemian. I really meant to find you and say hello, then totally forgot your seat number. disbelief

As I understand it, Franks thoughts (over 30 years ago) was to use hologram technology. But his idea was that one day he would be able play live each night (probably in LA if not at home), and broadcast the hologram to multiple venues so he didn't have to tour!

One final question... given the scope of creating the projection, why did they dress Frank in the budget range from walmart?

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
father-0blivion
Power Poster
england.gif
Post 2019-05-16 10:27   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
One final question... given the scope of creating the projection, why did they dress Frank in the budget range from walmart?

Maybe they got a free wig?

'' 'n pretty soon, there won't be no street, for dummies to jog on, or doggies to dog on, religious fanatics, can make it be all gone...''
(FZ: ''Dumb All Over'')
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-05-16 13:02   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
epistrophy wrote:
… For me, the low point was the pre-recorded mystery vocal chorus on Why Does It Hurt …

Don't know, maybe someone could ask Keneally or Robert Martin.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-05-16 15:45   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
epistrophy wrote:

Well, that sucks indeed, but it's nothing compared to holo-FZ's conducting technique. Depressing, really. I mean, conducting 4/4 - with the 2nd beat inwards and the 3rd beat outwards, not the other way around - is freshman-grade stuff and this hologram manages to fuck up even that. And the real FZ knew better than anyone the importance of NOT doing purposeless arm coreography that does nothing for the music and only makes you look like a tube man. Rolling Eyes

Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-05-16 16:32   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
TPS

father-0blivion
LOTS of Zappateers
Guy that organised Zappa Roundhouse golden tickets. He said hi, and again I blanked out!
Sadly not bohemian. I really meant to find you and say hello, then totally forgot your seat number. disbelief

I additionally clocked/chatted to:
former secretary Pauline Butcher
crappa snappa Robert Davidson
semantic scrutinizer Simon Prentis
the much more famous author (!) Alan Clayson (official bio finally green-lighted),
XTC's Dave Gregory (is that maybe who you meant, rather than a Gentle Giant, TPS?)
ex-Z drummer Josh Freese
ex-Kajagoogoo bassist Nick Beggs
and songwriter/producer Steven "Bloody" Wilson.

Dave Gaydon is the Roundhouse dude, BTW.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Si_M
uk.gif
Post 2019-05-16 16:56   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
TPS wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
TPS

father-0blivion
LOTS of Zappateers

I additionally clocked/chatted to:
former secretary Pauline Butcher
crappa snappa Robert Davidson
semantic scrutinizer Simon Prentis
the much more famous author (!) Alan Clayson (official bio finally green-lighted),
XTC's Dave Gregory (is that maybe who you meant, rather than a Gentle Giant, TPS?)
ex-Z drummer Josh Freese
ex-Kajagoogoo bassist Nick Beggs
and songwriter/producer Steven "Bloody" Wilson.

Dave Gaydon is the Roundhouse dude, BTW.

I saw this too yesterday https://www.loudersound.com/features/five-things-we-learned-from-last-nights-bizarre-world-of-frank-zappa-show

"On stage, a crack band of Zappa alumni including musical director Mike Keneally, drummer Joe Travers, bassist Scott Thumes, guitarist Ray White, and multi-instrumentalists Robert Martin and Ed Mann treated a packed crowd that included the likes of Steven Wilson, Nick Beggs, Dave Gregory, Charlie Cawood, Carl Palmer, Josh Perl and Billy Bragg, to a set that featured some of Zappa's best known tunes including Cosmik Debris, Penguin In Bondage, Zomby Woof and Peaches En Regalia."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2019-05-16 20:16   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
''The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa'' seemed an apt title when Diva appeared and did some cartwheels for some reason...
          Diva told me afterwards that she did that because she had done it as a child at Franks shows.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-05-16 21:31   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
father-0blivion wrote:
''The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa'' seemed an apt title when Diva appeared and did some cartwheels for some reason...
          Diva told me afterwards that she did that because she had done it as a child at Franks shows.

Exactly:

"All of Zappa’s children joined the band on stage. First came Diva, who was serenaded by her father on The Closer You Are. Her sister Moon then came out and the siblings danced along to No No Cherry. Brother Ahmet cavorted with them during The Man From Utopia Meets Mary Lou, then they proceeded to start doing cartwheels across the stage."

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
cookie_manager
Power Poster
Post 2019-05-16 22:21   [Quote] 
o.m.g. - first class ceptual continuity Razz

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-05-16 23:26   [Quote] 
father-0blivion wrote:
TPS wrote:

Maybe they got a free wig?

Ha ha ha! Comedy Gold.

btw, I looked for the bulge in his crotch and it seemed to be lacking. I'd be really pissed if I was Afterworld-Frank!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 32 of 35 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: