Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
"Hi boys and girls I'm Jimmy Carl Black and I'm the Indian of the group."  
McMick
Post 2019-03-30 11:58   [Quote] 
On WOIIFTM, who said the line, "Hi boys and girls I'm Jimmy Carl Black and I'm the Indian of the group"? All the Google search results I've gotten say it was Jimmy Carl Black, but I've never believed it was him, because the voice is wrong. It seems clear to me it was someone else poking fun at him. Any answers or guesses?

And yes, I know he's said it at other times, but notice how those other occurrences don't sound like the voice on WOIIFTM.

[Profile]  [PM] 
tasfa potumba
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-31 20:45   [Quote] 
it's Jimmy Carl Black.
The voice is not wrong, it's just spoken in a more laid back tone than we're used to hearing him.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Post 2019-03-31 21:28   [Quote] 
See, that doesn't make any sense. I've listened to lots of other recordings of his voice. Heck, I even sat through a documentary featuring him. Even the laugh at the end of the line isn't like his laugh at all. I'm positive that's not JCB saying that line, so I assume it's one of the other band members, maybe Ray Collins?

[Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2019-03-31 21:35   [Quote] 
Of course the line was said by JCB...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
ephceetera
Poster
Post 2019-04-01 00:54   [Quote] 
The "stoned out" laughter after JCB's self introduction is Frank. The self introductory line is Jimmy. Check out Uncle Meat's "If We'd All Been Living In California".

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-02 11:56   [Quote] 
The whole line, including the laughter, is definitely all Jimmy's voice, and I've never had the slightest inclination to believe otherwise.

I'd like to have some of what you guys are smoking.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Post 2019-04-02 23:45   [Quote] 
Wow, I'm really stunned. I've been hearing this line for the past oh, 34 years and it's never sounded like Jimmy to me. Listening to it over and over now, I guess I can see it. I guess his voice got rougher as time went on, or maybe he affected his Texas drawl more when he was talking to interviewers or audiences or whatever.

[Profile]  [PM] 
feralcats
Post 2019-04-07 10:05   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
See, that doesn't make any sense. I've listened to lots of other recordings of his voice. Heck, I even sat through a documentary featuring him. Even the laugh at the end of the line isn't like his laugh at all. I'm positive that's not JCB saying that line, so I assume it's one of the other band members, maybe Ray Collins?

it's definitely jcb saying the line you've quoted---the laugh is cut in, I've always heard it as FZ's own laugh.

It sets up the idea in "Who Needs The Peace Corps" that 1) hippie/fake woke audiences might want a "Indian/Native" representative, to be "authentic", despite their own inauthenticity 2) that Frank knows that's a fake idea---he has at least heard Ravi Shankar at this point---hence the raga parody at the end of the opening track and often throughout the album 3) the whole gag in "peace corps": "i will buy a book of Indian..." etc.

damn frank was a genius

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-04-09 00:05   [Quote] 
^great post, feral! eye-opening to me, after all these years.^
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: