Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Bizarre World premieres?  
Wips
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-15 18:54   [Quote] 
From the Zappa website: "“We’re excited to world premiere a handful of Frank Zappa compositions"

This is in relation to the Bizarre World Ensemble touring soon.

Does anyone know what this means? They are premiering album material that was never played live? Or truly unplayed/unreleased tunes Zappa wrote?

Thx.

And if anyone is going to the Wilkes-Barre show, hit me up. : )

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-03-15 20:29   [Quote] 
Wips wrote:
They are premiering album material that was never played live? Or truly unplayed/unreleased tunes Zappa wrote?

The latter is what I understand. If it's the former, they're using the term incorrectly.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-03-16 14:49   [Quote] 
Holo Frank guitar solos from the source footage would adequately cover the claim, no?
Call that 3 or 4 new pieces, and toss in a band version of Solitude and maybe a show opener of
Mice and one has "a handful."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-16 16:39   [Quote] 
The 1981 08 06 rehearsal has an otherwise unheard Zappa piece (track 8) and as three members of that band are on the Bizarre tour (or four if you count Robert Martin who joined the 81 group a few weeks later) it is one possibility.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-03-16 20:19   [Quote] 
Given that the ZFT proclaimed the world premiere of 200 Motels in 2013, I wouldn't base my expectations on an overly strict interpretation of their current announcement.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Wips
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-16 21:01   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Holo Frank guitar solos from the source footage would adequately cover the claim, no?
Call that 3 or 4 new pieces, and toss in a band version of Solitude and maybe a show opener of

My apologies if there is a thread elsewhere about this, but what do we know of Solitude?

My understanding was it was written for Gail, supposedly amazingly beautiful- and Steve Vai had a cassette copy which was lost?

Must it not be written out somewhere in order for the group to perform it?

Anyone have any idea?

And I have never heard of 'Mice' . . .

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-03-16 21:45   [Quote] 
Wips wrote:
My apologies if there is a thread elsewhere about this, but what do we know of Solitude?

Band From Utopia recorded it on a demo, which is available on the tracker, I believe (so it wouldn't be a premiere either). It can also be heard (without lyrics) as part of "Reeny Ra" in Joe's Camouflage.

Last edited by yetanother on 2019-03-16 21:53; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-03-16 21:49   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:

If I were hoping for an actual "premiere", I would rather hear Saddle Bags. We'll see. (I doubt a score for Mice has survived, but until the ZFT hires a proper Scoremeister, we'll never know.)

Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-03-16 22:05   [Quote] 
A version of "Solitude" can also be found in this rehearsal tape. I think it's probably "Solitude" that quotes "Reeny Ra" than the other way round.

cheers

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-03-16 22:38   [Quote] 
It's not a quote, it's the exact same theme. But yes, maybe he already had the music and only added the lyrics later.

TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2019-03-17 10:11   [Quote] 
Here is Zappateer StrokeTheBoots with his own arrangement of Watermelon In Solitude performed at STV's 60th Birthday Party last weekend.
(a bit of background chat... about 60% of the guests had never heard of Frank Zappa!)

#WeHaveSomeVeryTalentedZappateersInOurRanks

Last edited by TPS on 2019-03-18 18:31; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-17 16:28   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
Here is Zappateer StrokeTheBoots with his own arrangement of Watermelon In Solitude performed at STV's 60th Birthday Party last weekend.

Wow, a great voice. His avatar picture belies his talent!

TPS wrote:
... about 60% of the guests had never heard of Frank Zappa!

Maybe that's why they wouldn't shut the fuck up. I know gigs come in all colors, flavors, and varieties, but that is one of my pet peeves. Especially when it's a low-key affair as this appeared to be, and it's a total solo act, and consisting of FZ's clearly most heart-felt, sincere lyrics. So stop talking!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
uncle max
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-03-18 08:36   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:
(a bit of background chat... about 60% of the guests had never heard of Frank Zappa!)

I was there.
Chris had this smart idea to combine Solitude with Watermelon: two rare examples of sentimental Frank.
The performance was cool. All alone, Chris has generated the piano loop, added some nice guitar notes and sung with great emotional participation.
Simple, respectful, powerful.
A wonderful gift to Steffen and us all.
Well done Chris
Smile

stv
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2019-03-18 15:43   [Quote] 
TPS wrote:

Indeed it was one of the highlights of this unforgettable night. Thanks to everybody, I love you! Meanwhile at least two fellow Zappateers might be working on a mix from the multitracks we dropped from the sbd. So stay tuned...

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: