Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Karlheinz Stockhausen ~ FZ
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Author Message
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
Joined: 2004-12-09
Posts: 7252
Location: Way down in France
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-03-15 14:37   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
...... the same thing happened with Schnittke, who was supposed to have enjoyed the LSO album a lot......

News Surprised
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
Joined: 2005-10-12
Posts: 6379
Location: Sampa Hell
brazil.gif
Post 2019-03-15 20:30   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
Schnittke, who was supposed to have enjoyed the LSO album a lot

Source?

_________________
nitramz.com
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
buddybird2
Joined: 2017-12-04
Posts: 11
Location: Long Island
Post 2019-03-15 21:19   [Quote] 
In the interview at the New School, in 1969, FZ said "Cage is an influence, Stockhausen is not
really an influence". If I'm remembering correctly...
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Joined: 2005-10-02
Posts: 150
Post 2019-03-16 03:14   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
rubbershirt wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
In an interview with David Paul that appeared in Seconds Magazine 44 (1997), Stockhausen had this to say about FZ: "Zappa was a lost composer: he wanted to please all sides - which never works."

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and of course I’m just a nobody, but this seems a gross misunderstanding of who Zappa was trying to please and sounds like something Rolling Stone Magazine would print.

Of course it is. I'm not a Rolling Stone reader though, so to me it sounds exactly like something Stockhausen would say.


It would be interesting to know what Stockhausen's oppinion was back in 1969, after he had met Frank, or generally around that time. He must have had a reason to check him out. The interview from which the quote stems was apparently done almost 3 decades later, after all. Likewise it would be interesting to know if Stockhausen was aware of anything Frank did later on (my guess is, possibly not).
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Poster
Joined: 2012-03-13
Posts: 498
Post 2019-03-16 07:21   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
yetanother wrote:
rubbershirt wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
In an interview with David Paul that appeared in Seconds Magazine 44 (1997), Stockhausen had this to say about FZ: "Zappa was a lost composer: he wanted to please all sides - which never works."

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and of course I’m just a nobody, but this seems a gross misunderstanding of who Zappa was trying to please and sounds like something Rolling Stone Magazine would print.

Of course it is. I'm not a Rolling Stone reader though, so to me it sounds exactly like something Stockhausen would say.


It would be interesting to know what Stockhausen's oppinion was back in 1969, after he had met Frank, or generally around that time. He must have had a reason to check him out. The interview from which the quote stems was apparently done almost 3 decades later, after all. Likewise it would be interesting to know if Stockhausen was aware of anything Frank did later on (my guess is, possibly not).

His students Irmin Schmidt and Holger Czukay were of course heavily influenced by Zappa, and Can's contemporaries in Faust had a similar mix of influences - modernism and rock 'n' roll.

_________________
If I'm not alone . . . How long have I been asleep?
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
feralcats
Joined: 2005-07-17
Posts: 90
Post 2019-03-16 13:58   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
feralcats wrote:
Schnittke, who was supposed to have enjoyed the LSO album a lot

Source?


My half remembered source was Alex Ross’s Schnittke article here:
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/10/arts/a-shy-frail-creator-of-the-wildest-music.html

...though I have to admit it’s actually much spottier than I remember it being. He writes:
Quote:
While he considers the possibility of a synthesis of classical and popular genres "pure utopia," he has dabbled in rock and jazz instrumentation, and enjoyed the orchestral music of Frank Zappa.


Which doesn’t specifically name check LSO—-I must have assumed when I read it however long ago. Still, Ross is a smart guy who I trust on the one hand to 1) know enough about FZ’s music to know to specify “orchestral” & 2) to not be so invested in FZ to make this up for some random reason Laughing still, not as solid a source as i’d Have liked. My bad.

_________________
"we don't get any becuz we're otherwise"--- Gail, "Very Distraughtening", Lumpy Gravy
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 2962
Post 2019-03-20 05:20   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
oofers wrote:
FZ wrote:
The Pat Buttram Story (she gotta know all the words to the album!)

Any idea what he means by this?

I know who Pat Buttram is -- Gene Autrey's sidekick and Mr. Haney from "Green Acres".

But "Story"? And "words to the album"?

Maybe As I Look into Your Faces (1961) or Off His Rocker! (1962).

We Wuz Poor would seem more likely, if not for the 1971 release date. (Liner notes available here.)


Off His Rocker! is a definite must-own for the serious Zappa aficionado. Don't want to read too much into it so will leave it at that. But it's certainly a lost gem of spoken word-comedy without doubt. Way better than that tiresome Lenny Bruce or exhausting Lord Buckley.
Thank you, Frank!
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
Joined: 2006-01-14
Posts: 343
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-20 20:18   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Off His Rocker! is a definite must-own for the serious Zappa aficionado. Don't want to read too much into it so will leave it at that. But it's certainly a lost gem of spoken word-comedy without doubt. Way better than that tiresome Lenny Bruce or exhausting Lord Buckley.
Thank you, Frank!


Now I really want to hear it. And surprisingly, it doesn't seem to have ever been uploaded to youtube. Hell, amazon doesn't even have it. And forget torrents....

So for my ears, at least, it is lost to time. Shame, because I absolutely loved him on Green Acres back in the day. And here you are saying it's a must-own and better than Lenny Bruce (who I agree, hasn't aged well).

I'll have to only imagine.... Sad
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Joined: 2007-02-01
Posts: 2962
Post 2019-03-21 16:24   [Quote] 
I don't do vinyl rips or anything of the sort so wd help if I could but can't.
Who knows for sure if it is the thing FZ alluded to, but with a bit by the name of San Fernando Valley it isn't hard to imagine
the appeal. Buttram's observations as a Alabama transplant to LA is like Frank and his buddies being the high desert hicks in town. For a bit of CC, Canoga Park gets a shout out, too. It's like The Purse but with professional joke writers. And the Teenage track... Malt Shop Weddings! A high-brow/low-brow joke about a classical composer. Something like: "There's so many darn weddings conducted at the malt shop that they have Mendelson's Wedding March on the juke box [laughter....long pause] As performed by Chubby Checker!" [massive applause and laughter]. That's the only down-side. The laughter and applause is too darn loud!
Alright, ya ready to eat peanut butter for a week and score a copy to break even?

PS and the track-riff Recordings is awesome, indeed. State of the phonograph from Edison on.
Reciting the first recorded sound by Thomas Edison:
Mary. Had. A Little. Lamb.
Her. Fleece. Was. White. As. Snow.
And. Everywhere. That. Mary. Went.
The. Lamb. Was Sure to Sure to Sure to Sure to Sure To....

Yea, it was a cylinder but comedy requires imagination! A skipping record!

And then it keeps going.

LOST CLASSIC without doubt! I thought I may have been insane, but noooooo this is oozing brilliance.
Back to top
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic
 
Page 6 of 6 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group, TorrentPier © Meithar