Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Karlheinz Stockhausen ~ FZ
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-03-15 14:37   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
...... the same thing happened with Schnittke, who was supposed to have enjoyed the LSO album a lot......

News Surprised
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-03-15 20:30   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
Schnittke, who was supposed to have enjoyed the LSO album a lot

Source?

buddybird2
Post 2019-03-15 21:19   [Quote] 
In the interview at the New School, in 1969, FZ said "Cage is an influence, Stockhausen is not
really an influence". If I'm remembering correctly...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2019-03-16 03:14   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
rubbershirt wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
In an interview with David Paul that appeared in Seconds Magazine 44 (1997), Stockhausen had this to say about FZ: "Zappa was a lost composer: he wanted to please all sides - which never works."

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and of course I’m just a nobody, but this seems a gross misunderstanding of who Zappa was trying to please and sounds like something Rolling Stone Magazine would print.

Of course it is. I'm not a Rolling Stone reader though, so to me it sounds exactly like something Stockhausen would say.

It would be interesting to know what Stockhausen's oppinion was back in 1969, after he had met Frank, or generally around that time. He must have had a reason to check him out. The interview from which the quote stems was apparently done almost 3 decades later, after all. Likewise it would be interesting to know if Stockhausen was aware of anything Frank did later on (my guess is, possibly not).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Dark Clothes
Busy Poster
Post 2019-03-16 07:21   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
yetanother wrote:
rubbershirt wrote:
scherbe2003 wrote:
In an interview with David Paul that appeared in Seconds Magazine 44 (1997), Stockhausen had this to say about FZ: "Zappa was a lost composer: he wanted to please all sides - which never works."

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and of course I’m just a nobody, but this seems a gross misunderstanding of who Zappa was trying to please and sounds like something Rolling Stone Magazine would print.

Of course it is. I'm not a Rolling Stone reader though, so to me it sounds exactly like something Stockhausen would say.

It would be interesting to know what Stockhausen's oppinion was back in 1969, after he had met Frank, or generally around that time. He must have had a reason to check him out. The interview from which the quote stems was apparently done almost 3 decades later, after all. Likewise it would be interesting to know if Stockhausen was aware of anything Frank did later on (my guess is, possibly not).

His students Irmin Schmidt and Holger Czukay were of course heavily influenced by Zappa, and Can's contemporaries in Faust had a similar mix of influences - modernism and rock 'n' roll.

feralcats
Post 2019-03-16 13:58   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
feralcats wrote:
Schnittke, who was supposed to have enjoyed the LSO album a lot

Source?

My half remembered source was Alex Ross’s Schnittke article here:
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/10/arts/a-shy-frail-creator-of-the-wildest-music.html

...though I have to admit it’s actually much spottier than I remember it being. He writes:
Quote:
While he considers the possibility of a synthesis of classical and popular genres "pure utopia," he has dabbled in rock and jazz instrumentation, and enjoyed the orchestral music of Frank Zappa.

Which doesn’t specifically name check LSO—-I must have assumed when I read it however long ago. Still, Ross is a smart guy who I trust on the one hand to 1) know enough about FZ’s music to know to specify “orchestral” & 2) to not be so invested in FZ to make this up for some random reason Laughing still, not as solid a source as i’d Have liked. My bad.

brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-03-20 05:20   [Quote] 
drdork wrote:
oofers wrote:
FZ wrote:
The Pat Buttram Story (she gotta know all the words to the album!)

Any idea what he means by this?

I know who Pat Buttram is -- Gene Autrey's sidekick and Mr. Haney from "Green Acres".

But "Story"? And "words to the album"?

Maybe As I Look into Your Faces (1961) or Off His Rocker! (1962).

We Wuz Poor would seem more likely, if not for the 1971 release date. (Liner notes available here.)

Off His Rocker! is a definite must-own for the serious Zappa aficionado. Don't want to read too much into it so will leave it at that. But it's certainly a lost gem of spoken word-comedy without doubt. Way better than that tiresome Lenny Bruce or exhausting Lord Buckley.
Thank you, Frank!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-20 20:18   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Off His Rocker! is a definite must-own for the serious Zappa aficionado. Don't want to read too much into it so will leave it at that. But it's certainly a lost gem of spoken word-comedy without doubt. Way better than that tiresome Lenny Bruce or exhausting Lord Buckley.
Thank you, Frank!

Now I really want to hear it. And surprisingly, it doesn't seem to have ever been uploaded to youtube. Hell, amazon doesn't even have it. And forget torrents....

So for my ears, at least, it is lost to time. Shame, because I absolutely loved him on Green Acres back in the day. And here you are saying it's a must-own and better than Lenny Bruce (who I agree, hasn't aged well).

I'll have to only imagine.... Sad
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-03-21 16:24   [Quote] 
I don't do vinyl rips or anything of the sort so wd help if I could but can't.
Who knows for sure if it is the thing FZ alluded to, but with a bit by the name of San Fernando Valley it isn't hard to imagine
the appeal. Buttram's observations as a Alabama transplant to LA is like Frank and his buddies being the high desert hicks in town. For a bit of CC, Canoga Park gets a shout out, too. It's like The Purse but with professional joke writers. And the Teenage track... Malt Shop Weddings. A high-brow/low-brow joke about a classical composer. Something like: "There's so many darn weddings conducted at the malt shop that they have Mendelson's Wedding March on the juke box [laughter....long pause] As performed by Chubby Checkers!" [massive applause and laughter]. That's the only down-side. The laughter and applause is too darn loud.
Alright, ya ready to eat peanut butter for a week and score a copy to break even?

PS and the track-riff Recordings is awesome, indeed. State of the phonograph from Edison on.
Reciting the first recorded sound by Thomas Edison:
Mary. Had. A Little. Lamb.
Her. Fleece. Was. White. As. Snow.
And. Everywhere. That. Mary. Went.
The. Lamb. Was Sure to Sure to Sure to Sure to Sure To....

Yea, it was a cylinder but comedy requires imagination! A skipping record joke can never miss.

And then it keeps going.

LOST CLASSIC without doubt. I thought I may have been insane, but noooooo this is oozing brilliance.

Last edited by brainpang on 2019-03-27 07:55; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2019-03-26 17:23   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
In an interview with David Paul that appeared in Seconds Magazine 44 (1997), Stockhausen had this to say about FZ: "Zappa was a lost composer: he wanted to please all sides - which never works." The complete interview used to be available online from Stockhausen's homepage, but no longer is.

scherbe2003 wrote:
The Stockhausen interview is apparently reprinted here (but I don't have that book):
Blush, Steven and Petros, George (eds), 45 Dangerous Minds: The Most Intense Interviews from "Seconds" Magazine. London: Creation Books (2005)

Meanwhile I could briefly check out that book but the passage referring to Zappa (as well as a number of rants about other musicians) is missing from the text there. Seems to me that the reprinted version was shortened considerably. In case I can retrieve the original text that I downloaded from Stockhausen's homepage I'll see that I can make it available here. (The interview, among other items, seemingly disappeared from his homepage when the homepage was redone a while back.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-03-26 23:26   [Quote] 
scherbe2003 wrote:
(The interview, among other items, seemingly disappeared from his homepage when the homepage was redone a while back.)

Have you tried the Wayback Machine? If you know the old URL, enter it into the box at the top of the page. Then you can navigate to a date before the revision of the website.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2019-03-27 01:58   [Quote] 
I had tried the Wayback Machine before but couldn't find it. Reason: the quote is apparently not from the 1994 interview referred to above but from a different interview (from 1997, or rather, apparently quotes published in an article in the Sept. 1997 issue of "Seconds" ). Here's the link:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990209142921/http://www.stockhausen.org/paul_1.html

I remember more rants about "popular" music but maybe that was yet another interview/article/link/whatever.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-04-09 17:31   [Quote] 
Where's the Mr. Haney thread?!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-04-09 19:03   [Quote] 
brainpang wrote:
Where's the Mr. Haney thread?!

You're soaking in it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-04-09 19:57   [Quote] 
on the We Wuz Poor record he's got more record gags. Playing with the medium.
"Had one on the Oral Roberts label...only problem is ya can't play it as the hole keeps healing up."
Hardy har har har. Correct: I am soaked!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 6 of 6 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: