Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
RSD 2019: The Guitar World According to Frank Zappa - Clear Vinyl
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-05 00:47   [Quote] 
rupert pupkin wrote:

There's one regret for Shut'Up and Yer Guitar : there's a bombastic bass solo totally cut from the way too short track Five-Five Five. This is an insane oriental bass + Zappa's soloing. It's a bit like Carnasie. It is on the tracker (I think that's the Hannover 79 which is one of the best; but unfortunately the soundboard stopped before this insane encore). I still hope that the unedit/untempered complete live track will surface one day on an official release.

FZ's longer edit of "Five-Five-FIVE" is available here. The original performance was from 1979 02 19 London for which we have an audience recording here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2019-03-05 07:28   [Quote] 
thanks ! and sorry for the confusion...

I wrote "Hannover 79" because of the monster version of King Kong and this unique Zappa solo - kind of J.Page-like Stairway To Heaven guitar solo. I hope that one day, this solo, sometimes title "Fay Wray" has been recorded in multitrack or soundboard by Frank.

I had in mind actually "Manchester 1979":
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2576

actually, I thought that Five-Five-Five was from this awesome gig (this is a soundboard recording but Five-Five-Five played as an encore is an audience recording). That's where I heard the same guitar riff by Zappa but at the beginning there is an insane oriental bass solo (and in the end)

I thought that the Shup'Up And Play Yer Guitar version was from the Manchester show, not the London version.

I knew the acetate version. thanks : by the way : regarding the acetate version of "Five-Five-Five" :
At approx 2mn52 (so: the "unedited" part) Frank starts to play a bit like Robert Frippouille (it reminds me a bit the Larks Tongues In Aspic touch) - very nice - but perhaps Zappa choose to cut this track because the second part is too close to "Stuco Homes" which is one of the finest Zappa's guitar touch (we can hear a bit of "Stuco" here in this unedited part)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
manxzx
Busy Poster
Post 2019-03-05 10:42   [Quote] 
Quote:
Robert Frippouille

roflol
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Oops
uk.gif
Post 2019-03-06 20:45   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-07 03:50   [Quote] 
rupert pupkin wrote:

I knew the acetate version. thanks : by the way : regarding the acetate version of "Five-Five-Five" :
At approx 2mn52 (so: the "unedited" part) Frank starts to play a bit like Robert Frippouille (it reminds me a bit the Larks Tongues In Aspic touch) - very nice - but perhaps Zappa choose to cut this track because the second part is too close to "Stuco Homes" which is one of the finest Zappa's guitar touch (we can hear a bit of "Stuco" here in this unedited part)

Hearing that acetate version I thought FZ may have decided "Hog Heaven" covered similar musical ground more effectively.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Minkukel
netherlands.gif
Post 2019-03-10 13:32   [Quote] 
Would it be safe to assume it'll come with a download code for the album? I'm not much of a vinyl guy, so I don't really know much about the practices of today's vinyl releases. If it has a code, I'm in.

It's cool that they're finally rereleasing this and all (long overdue, of course), but it's kind of a shame it has to be a limited edition vinyl version. Maybe it'll be released on itunes or something after RSD...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
polydigm
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2019-03-10 14:37   [Quote] 
Minkukel wrote:
... Maybe it'll be released on itunes or something after RSD...

Fingers crossed!

LeifH
canada.gif
Post 2019-03-10 20:34   [Quote] 
If my friend or I get a copy I'll be doing a vinyl rip eventually, for more convenient listening. Bummed that its clear vinyl though, translucent records generally sound like static shit because the pellets have a different melting point and are more prone to a static charge.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-11 14:15   [Quote] 
Already baked my cassette and did a fine transfer, so I probably won't bother with this, since they are just going from one antiquated format to another.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2019-03-11 22:13   [Quote] 
LeifH wrote:
If my friend or I get a copy I'll be doing a vinyl rip eventually, for more convenient listening. Bummed that its clear vinyl though, translucent records generally sound like static shit because the pellets have a different melting point and are more prone to a static charge.

Wrong. Modern colored/clear vinyl is excellent. I have many of the Rhino releases that are on some type of colored or clear vinyl (Alice Cooper BDB, Alice Cooper Love It To Death, Deep Purple Machine Head, Dead Boys Young Loud And Snotty, The Stooges 1st LP, Small Faces First Step) and they are all KILLER!!!

number1823
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-12 02:18   [Quote] 
LeifH wrote:

The ROLLO 10" 2017 RSD release was/is on clear vinyl and I think it sounds quite nice.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Vaultmeister
Post 2019-03-12 10:56   [Quote] 
number1823 wrote:

The ROLLO 10" 2017 RSD release was/is on clear vinyl and I think it sounds quite nice.

Damn right!! Wink
 [Profile]  [PM] 
belew-vibe
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-03-13 04:58   [Quote] 
I have the Sun Ra - Janus LP featured on this link, and it's a fabulous quality pressing. Looking forward to April 13th for the FZ!

https://www.furnacemfg.com/vinyl/the-gallery/

I'm happy that this is numbered. It adds to the fun of RSD. I have a code: I get the lowest number I can on RSD, and avoid ebay even if I see a very low number later. Otherwise, it defeats the whole purpose of RSD, which is to to get people out to the shops...

pappazappa
italy.gif
Post 2019-04-10 09:40   [Quote] 

belew-vibe
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-04-10 19:27   [Quote] 
Very nice, pappa... I still wonder if it's numbered? I could just ask my local store...

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 3 of 5 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: