Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Road Tapes III
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next  
James66175
Power Poster
Location: in my smelly little secret black light bedroom on Long Island
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-30 01:26   [Quote] 
I had trouble getting both discs out. They're in the disc holder way too tight.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Doc Phibes
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-30 19:36   [Quote] 
If you are very, very careful removing the discs the first time, they pop in and out quite easily afterwards.

Meanwhile, from the exciting world of the Internet, the Globalia info page for RT3 is up!

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/Road_Tapes_Venue_3.html
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cyranoDB
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-06-30 21:10   [Quote] 
Doc Phibes wrote:
Meanwhile, from the exciting world of the Internet, the Globalia info page for RT3 is up!

http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyrics/Road_Tapes_Venue_3.html

I love that this comment was included: FZ: . . . "So we can capture this moment. We've been, uh, we've been recording our shows here in the Tyrone Power Theater . . . to put them in the time capsule."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-07-16 10:09   [Quote] 
So far Ian is the only non-FZ musician to feature on all RT venue releases. George is on two of them. Should it happen that the next two consecutive RT releases are from Feb-May '74 and the Beefheart tour, George could thus take over as the most featured RT musician.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Doc Phibes
usa.gif
Post 2016-07-16 15:56   [Quote] 
I'd be very okay with that.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
James66175
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-07-16 16:24   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
So far Ian is the only non-FZ musician to feature on all RT venue releases. George is on two of them. Should it happen that the next two consecutive RT releases are from Feb-May '74 and the Beefheart tour, George could thus take over as the most featured RT musician.

What do you mean by 'non-FZ musician'?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2016-07-16 16:34   [Quote] 
He means the only musician besides Zappa himself!

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
poldino
Busy Poster
uk.gif
Post 2016-07-16 17:01   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
He means the only musician besides Zappa himself!

So Zappa is the only FZ musician on them all?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
James66175
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2016-07-16 19:22   [Quote] 
Ok, maybe it was just worded a little funny. I wasn't trying to make a big thing of this. I just thought Ed meant something else other than Frank himself. Peace Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Busy Poster
Post 2016-07-17 12:05   [Quote] 
Yes, I did mean a musician who is not FZ.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StarThrower
usa.gif
Post 2016-08-28 23:26   [Quote] 
Dark Clothes wrote:
Disc 2 cracked the first time I took it out - literally split in two! This is the flimsiest fucking cd I've encountered. Another greedy record company ripping you off with inferior product?

I've done it twice already this year. And it never was a problem in the past 30 years. These new slim double jewel cases are shit.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-10 16:37   [Quote] 
I see, III. I was looking for 3 when I searched for threads on this.

(My rambling comments on this 1970-1971 era:)

Anyway, there is an interesting development from Road Tapes 1 to 3 in the singing business. Seemed like Zappa was having fun in 68-70 in that we got a lot of instrumental music in those years. When the touring group lost Ray Collins it was mainly Zappa that took over singing duties. And sometimes he did not sing.

I recently noticed all the chronology sections in the globalia site
http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/chronology/1970-1972.html

That makes is easier to see what was going on. Even comparing the Carnegie set vs RT 3 is useful, in that a lot of the old songs disappeared.

The Fillmore album I picked up first year in college. It seemed like a very skillful way of putting out stuff that would have been severely censored a couple of years before. It seems a bit like Zappa was just then realizing there was a bigger market for his material now. That may be how he managed to make a movie as well.

Other than the huge costs to Zappa, were these actually money making albums for the record company? Fillmore, 200 Motels, or even Chunga's Revenge, the first album back then with Flo and Eddie, which shared one track with the RT3 conert?

This for me was period of getting a better grasp of the scope of the material coming from Zappa. I had never bothered with some of the albums in between, having jumped from Freak Out to Hot Rats. Back then cassettes came around, and I taped a few albums off friends, but it was years before I got an actual copy of Lumpy Gravy for instance. 200 Motels I had a hard time ever playing the entire thing, though I did have that sometime after Fillmore. Music at the time was quite album oriented, like Pink Floyd, so that was not the problem.

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-02-10 20:22   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
That makes is easier to see what was going on. Even comparing the Carnegie set vs RT 3 is useful, in that a lot of the old songs disappeared.

For a specific comparison of the repertoire of the various tours with Flo & Eddie, see The Planet Of My Dreams. (Though I haven't updated it in light of Road Tapes Venue #3.)

Tero wrote:
it was years before I got an actual copy of Lumpy Gravy for instance.

Lumpy Gravy was pretty rare, I think. I started buying FZ albums in 1976 and soon got everything from Freak Out! through JABFLAóexcept Lumpy Gravy. I finally got it in the first Old Masters box, which was released in 1985.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-10 23:39   [Quote] 
This whole thing of being a completist did not exist so much then, and I was being stingy with my teenage money. I used to buy a lot of cutouts, stuff from UK that did not sell here. When I was 17-18 I would buy maybe 2 LPs from any band and pretend to be an expert. Some, like Peter Greenís Fleetwood Mac, I had nearly all, but would reject compilations if I had half the tracks already.

Lumpy Gravy: Yeah, I had seen it in used records bins for a while. It's possible I had a library copy to play before that. It was possible to pick up Zappa/Mothers albums used 1970-75. I had mostly new albums, a few were used. I traded away most of my LPs at various points. I regretted selling my 200 Motels, as It was actually a very good copy. Only the cardboard sleeve was worn, more from my moves than anything else. I'd held on to it 25 or more years. Stupid. I have the LP again. Not mine of course. headhammer

I don't even have my very first LPs from when I was 13. I have some of my dad's, one is a Tijuana Brass disc. And I have a Stones LP my dad sent me when I asked for it and he was sort of separated from mom for a year. Kept it as a reminder of that year more than any other reason. But about 90% of my teenage and college LPs are gone. I did get CDs for maybe a third of them.

wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2019-02-14 00:08   [Quote] 
First records are a blast I still have everything I ever bought unless someone borrowed it and didnít give it back... so my first 2 7inch singles were Tony Joe White Roosevelt and Ira Lee and Andy Williams donít remember the a side but the b side was House of Bamboo. First 3 LPs were A Track Records compilation Backtrack 1,Keef Hartley Battle of NW6 and Hot Rats which my grandma brought me from the US as a present which I chose because of the name I was 11 at the time.
My brother s mad completist collects Track record label product.

Last edited by wingedeelfingerling on 2019-02-14 11:41; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 15 of 16 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: