Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Probably the wrong site, but...  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
McMick
Post 2019-02-03 19:36   [Quote] 
I'm trying to learn Tommy on the piano as one long solo piece. Anyhow, long and short I stumbled across this video which impressed me enough that I had the impulse to share it. It's pretty much 100 percent unrelated to Frank (though it does feature a Gibson SG), but what the fuck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlYRr24xNAY

This guy's guitar work is pretty amazing to watch, almost 100% note perfect and exactly the right tonality and balance between softness and aggressiveness. It's a real tribute piece, the guy obviously loves this song.

If any moderators feel this post is just too much, feel free to delete it (not that you wouldn't; I'm just trying to be respectful).

[Profile]  [PM] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-03 22:44   [Quote] 
At least the guitar is right for the forum.

So sad Pete stopped being a guitar hero. It's always fun when the rhythm guitarist becomes the lead guitarist.

My daughter noted she has the Who touring in her city and we could visit, but I am not impressed by the Who duo anymore.

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2019-02-03 23:04   [Quote] 
Tero wrote:
My daughter noted she has the Who touring in her city and we could visit, but I am not impressed by the Who duo anymore.

I've heard good things about their violin player.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-02-03 23:45   [Quote] 
Rumor has it they played a great show here last year. I couldn't care less about reunions, to be honest.

McMick
Post 2019-02-04 09:49   [Quote] 
There are a few rockers out there that have some really specific and unique guitar sounds. I'm not just talking technique, I mean the guitar itself sounds really different from everyone else's. Frank, obviously, had some super interesting sounds. But he was always changing up, so he didn't have a specific "signature" guitar sound.

Probably the best example I can think of to illustrate what I mean is Brian May's guitar sound. I've never heard another guitar player make his axe sound like that. Someone else could pick up his guitar and play it and you'd still recognize the guitar's unique sound. Pete Townsend's earlier stuff (like this song) had this interesting swelling or blare to the root chords that I haven't really heard in other people's guitars either. I don't know whether it's just because it's so powerfully amplified or if he modified his guitar or what, but it sounds awesome.

I know I'm probably forgetting a hundred other examples from different people, but those three definitely stick out in my mind. If I were rich I'd spend a boatload of money just to get a guitar sound that can duplicate May's. I'd never allow anyone to hear me play it, out of respect to him Smile

And by the way, WHAT THE FUCK, BRITS? HOW DID YOU MAKE ROCK N' ROLL SO FUCKING AWESOME?

[Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-02-04 17:34   [Quote] 
McMick wrote:
If I were rich I'd spend a boatload of money just to get a guitar sound that can duplicate May's.

How about creating your own guitar sound, without spending a boatload of money? It worked for May.

scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-02-04 19:06   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
McMick wrote:
If I were rich I'd spend a boatload of money just to get a guitar sound that can duplicate May's.

How about creating your own guitar sound, without spending a boatload of money? It worked for May.

One could get close for less than a grand, and depending on what type of amp they already have, possibly even less than half of that. Studio technique for multiple amps and direct ins, etc., aside, May's sound was pretty simple.... he covered a lot of ground with a Rangemaster, a compressor and an AC30.

But yeah... I feel similarly. We already have a Brian May. That's probably why no one else sounds like his rig.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: