Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
The Grand Wazoo ???
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
feralcats
Post 2019-01-27 20:17   [Quote] 
I’m imagining here that what makes Wazoo, the title track difficult is the fact that there’s a long form series of solo improvisations in the center of it. The rest of the album is either through-composed or easier to kind of fit in to a more standard “jazz rock” kind of style.

Drdork is right of course. I love the piece to death, it’s funky and regal, funny and elegant all at once. And once it clicks the trombone solo on it is a one of a kind moment in Zappa’s work imo: really great.

Tero
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-27 20:20   [Quote] 
The live Wazoo resembles the Grand Wazoo track more than it resembles Waka Jawaka or Hot Rats. Long tracks with solos. And Appriximate, which is...dense. (See! I avoided avant-garde) On the plus side, you get to dive into The New Brown Clouds, if that was one your Zappa mysteries.

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-01-27 23:55   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
I’m imagining here that what makes Wazoo, the title track difficult is the fact that there’s a long form series of solo improvisations in the center of it. The rest of the album is either through-composed or easier to kind of fit in to a more standard “jazz rock” kind of style.

Um, your statement applies to Eat That Question better than it does to the title track. Or even Blessed Relief, whose composed section is much more simple and basically consists of a theme and nothing more. Maybe you should give the piece another listen?

McMick
Post 2019-01-28 10:15   [Quote] 
bohemian wrote:
drdork wrote:
Just think it over.

OK so you don't know either.

I can't tell if you got his joke or not. Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YlQOJW-0CI

You might like this one better anyhow.

Also, in case you're actually talking about For Calvin, I think it's one of the most iconic of Frank's works, personally. There's this passage toward the coda, after a bit of musical chaos that always makes me think of Frank raising one eyebrow (although presumably it has to do with Calvin's spaced out hippie hitchhikers).

Last edited by McMick on 2019-01-28 10:23; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Thinman
EU.gif
Post 2019-01-28 10:22   [Quote] 
For me the problem is that in all CD releases For Calvin and The Grand Wazoo have changed places opposed to the original vinyl release. For some reason they kept the change even for the 2012 CD release. Maybe because this was the order on the mastertape? Could be that the change in order was a last minute decision during disc cutting for the original 1972 vinyl release?

Though it is obvious to start the album with the more up tempo title track for commercial reasons I never got used to this. For Calvin is a far better opener for the mood of the album.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
McMick
Post 2019-01-28 10:36   [Quote] 
Thinman wrote:
For Calvin is a far better opener for the mood of the album.

Yeah, I'll probably switch the tracks when I buy the UMe CD. I'm still on the old 1986 Ryko CD and I'm okay with that, but I like both UMe versions of Hot Rats and Waka/Jawaka a lot better without the reverb, so I'm going for Grand Wazoo next.

Frank's albums remind me of all the different releases of Star Wars: "buy it again -- for the last time!"

[Profile]  [PM] 
feralcats
Post 2019-01-28 11:20   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
feralcats wrote:

Um, your statement applies to Eat That Question better than it does to the title track. Or even Blessed Relief, whose composed section is much more simple and basically consists of a theme and nothing more. Maybe you should give the piece another listen?

Eat That Question is actually what I was thinking of when I said it’s easier to think of as a jazz rock piece. It’s a hard riff, solos, riff again—-I guess the fact that I think of it as a “riff” rather than as a “head” that makes me say that.

I figured someone would bring up Blessed Relief but ime it’s one of those Zappa pieces that people just generally take to, so I didn’t really mention it. Though I’m kind of confused: are you suggesting that the title track doesn’t have a series of longer solos for a longer length of time than the other pieces on the album?

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-01-28 17:01   [Quote] 
feralcats wrote:
I’m kind of confused: are you suggesting that the title track doesn’t have a series of longer solos for a longer length of time than the other pieces on the album?

No, rather that it is more "through-composed" than them, in spite of the long solos.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: