Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Chicago '78
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Farks Zappa
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2017-01-03 16:56   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Tommy Mars is a monster on "Little House". I am certainly pleased we now have two versions of "Little House" 1978 arrangement. The chemistry between Mars and Vinnie Colaiuta is quite something and it appears that it's just themselves playing during the improvised portions. I hear no Barrow bass, I hear a more keyboardy bass. Considering Mars combines piano/organ with synths, I would hazard a guess that maybe Mars is playing bass pedals (maybe Hammond's).

I doubt any bassist, even of Barrow's calibre, could've kept up with Mars' rapid harmonic improvisation. On "Hammersmith" you can detect O'Hearn when the drums re-enter, mainly because Mars just plays two chords on the piano. But on "Chicago '78" he goes all over the place with the chords. And of course there's a real funky workout on the Hammond before Colaiuta does the drum solo.

Speaking of which, on both Hammersmith and Chicago '78 I do appreciate Mars' organ comping on quite a number of songs. Did he use the organ much at all after 1978?

Tommy used the Moog Taurus bass pedals. The organ was replaced by the Yamaha CS-80 for the 1979 european tour but was back in 1980 and 1981, altough he didn't play it as much by that point as you mention. Bobby Martin played the organ on 1982 tour and Tommy instead got an electric grand piano.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2017-01-03 17:08   [Quote] 
Thanks! I just went through a 1979 show featuring "King Kong", just to listen to that fantastic rendition and it certainly didn't seem Tommy used the Hammond in any of the songs. Good to know he used Moog Taurus.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2017-01-03 23:34   [Quote] 
On the remix of Man From Utopia there are sustained organ chords in the background of "Dangerous Kitchen" which seemed to me an unusual choice for FZ at the time. I don't know if it was Tommy playing that, but it's likely.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2017-01-03 23:40   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:
Thanks! I just went through a 1979 show featuring "King Kong", just to listen to that fantastic rendition and it certainly didn't seem Tommy used the Hammond in any of the songs. Good to know he used Moog Taurus.

Hannover 1979, one of my favorite King Kongs. All solos in that one are great, they flow into one another in that very special way, and Frank's solo deserves an official release. If he 4-tracked that, he should've used it on YCDTOSA Vol.3 or one of the Guitar albums.

Farks Zappa
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2017-01-06 21:57   [Quote] 
Ed Organmax wrote:

I listened to Tommy's solo again today; he's using the Taurus for bass during his run on synths and grand piano, but it sounds like he switches to the Hammond bass pedals when he jumps on the organ.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2017-01-08 11:46   [Quote] 
Hi guys... i may be a little thick here but the version of Little House... sounds completely different not just a different arrangement..

I really like the BURNT WEENY and the MOTHERS LIVE version but this one is pants to me and all that was bad about the late 70's band.. loads of shit keyboard noodling a drum solo! in fact the whole gig leaves me cold.... boring sexist songs that didn't say anything with just the odd FZ solo to make going and listening worthwhile.
But I digress how is this LITTLE HOUSE when it has different chords/melodies and rhythm.

ps I love LITTLE DOTS and MEAT LIGHT btw.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2017-01-08 12:08   [Quote] 
This is just an orchestration of the piano intro, nothing more nothing less!

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Ed Organmax
Poster
Post 2017-01-08 14:16   [Quote] 
Yes, "Little House I Used to Live In" IS the piano piece. See FZ Songbook from 1973.

What's on "Fillmore East 1971" is in fact "Return of the Son of Hunchback Duke", guess FZ renamed it "Little House", because the BWS track already had a bunch of elements strung together and "...Duke" was just one, but possibly the most popular/identifiable element, so there you are.

As for the rest of the show, I'd definitely say that the ratio of instrumental/more improvised music to prurient crowd-pleasers is pretty decent for a Fall '78 show. How many people would howl with derision if "Dinah Moe Humm" was on Chicago '78?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Farks Zappa
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2017-01-08 16:58   [Quote] 
If we have to choose between crowd pleasers, I'd pick "Dinah Moe Humm" over "Keep it Greasy" any day.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Power Poster
burma.gif
Post 2017-01-09 18:25   [Quote] 
Thank you for the info guys... it was nice to see Ian Underwood back in the fold for MEAT LIGHT.. always my favorite FZ multi instrumentalist and a beutiful piano player.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2017-01-09 20:06   [Quote] 
I really love the orchestral arrangement of the piano intro on the Contempo 70 concert.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Tero
usa.gif
Post 2018-12-30 23:24   [Quote] 
Yeah, I had misplaced this. I played it a couple of times when it came out and then went back to playing all the 88 stuff and Yellow Shark and Ensemble Modern. I focused mostly on the catalog up to 74 and then selective 80s/88 stuff. If there was some connection to the 74 band, that still was among favorites. Like FZ/OZ.

Now I found it again. The problem I have is that the crowd pleasers don't seem to mean much to me here. But there is indeed some good stuff for me here as well. The Meek...works really well. Really great Black Napkins. The problem I have is I actually never was a huge fan of any synthesizer. So I liked Emerson's the Nice and rejected most of ELP. Give me the brass instruments over the keyboards anytime. Or just give me George Duke alone.

Another playlist I guess. I'll take all the stuff from 76 to 78 and try to get "my best" into 80 minutes, in case I need to burn a CDR.

WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-11 13:24   [Quote] 
I have mixed feelings about this release. The sound quality and mix are outstanding for a 4-track recording, but I'm not sure if I'm wild about the performance. Vinnie especially seems a little bit tentative during Frank's solos which is unusual. Twenty-One is a welcome surprise, but it's not a very good version IMO. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Stony Brook or the best moments of Passaic which are just insane. This show is sort of tepid in comparison. But it's still awesome to have.

I'd give my left nut for a perfect sounding and 100% complete "Pound For A Brown" from the second Stony Brook show. In my opinion it is the ultimate version. Add it to the list of things we will probably never see.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-11 19:35   [Quote] 
From what I've heard they were still warming up on this tour until Passaic. Still, it is a show with no previous recording circulating, Twenty One is good and the improv shows that they played the Beautiful Guy riff live before 1980 and that they had the Alvin Lee joke before London 1979.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Gwonam
Power Poster
germany.gif
Post 2019-01-12 11:34   [Quote] 
I think this show doesn't really hit its stride until Little House.

From then on it's one of my favorite shows of the year (the monstrous Little House, the epic Yo' Mama, a nice Strcitly Genteel, a wonderful Black Napkins).

Of course the first half also has the interesting but tentative performance of Twenty-One, a nice Easy Meat, a wonderful (if nowhere near as good as Passaic or Stonybrook) Village Of The Sun, the always enjoyable Bamboozled By Love and a beautiful performance of Sy Borg (much better than the Halloween ones or Passaic).

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 8 of 9 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT

Jump to: