Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
200 Motels Pledgemusic
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Lestatkatt3
Post 2019-01-05 12:44   [Quote] 
Yes, The Turner broadcast looks and Sounds better than the other transfers.
The New DVD Cover says "Double DVD Including Concert Film." Is this a reference to Live footage, or the actual Movie? Very Cryptic with No information. I may wait for further info before considering buying Yet another copy.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frank-zappa-tony-palmer-200-motels

Questions: IF This is the first time Tony's Original 2" Masters are being used, Why didn't he use them when he issued the film on DVD The Last Time? I remember it had a few edits/a line or two of missing dialogue. Hopefully this version is Complete and looks better (but I somehow doubt it.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-01-05 14:22   [Quote] 
Tricky. Wonder if Tony just went ahead and lifted his audio master off a store-bought Ryko cd?
Bonus stuff could be anything. More stolen stuff off of youtube or clips from Frank's "The True Story of..."
Or Tony on the toilet talking about what a fraud Frank was.

"This is for the first time these masters have ever being used."

Poorly written or intentionally worded?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scherbe2003
Post 2019-01-05 16:42   [Quote] 
Underpaid typist?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
arf
Poster
france.gif
Post 2019-01-05 18:42   [Quote] 
^A very desperate stenographer.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2019-01-05 19:37   [Quote] 
Lestatkatt3 wrote:
IF This is the first time Tony's Original 2" Masters are being used, Why didn't he use them when he issued the film on DVD The Last Time? I remember it had a few edits/a line or two of missing dialogue. Hopefully this version is Complete and looks better (but I somehow doubt it.)

What Lestatkatt3 said

I think this will likely be another Palmer palm-off

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
vivalapsych
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-05 23:22   [Quote] 
Id say avoid. But that being said, I'd love to hear from folks who actually buy it and get the scoop.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
porteresq
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-09 00:08   [Quote] 
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
The CD tracklist is identical to the Ryko release.

And the door hanger looks identical to the ones Ryko handed out as promos in the 90s.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2019-01-09 18:40   [Quote] 
porteresq wrote:
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
The CD tracklist is identical to the Ryko release.

And the door hanger looks identical to the ones Ryko handed out as promos in the 90s.

Cool something else I don't have Very Happy

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
punknaynowned
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-10 02:21   [Quote] 
the pre-order says 120 days.
that means May 09

WonkyWilly
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-10 12:29   [Quote] 
Lestatkatt3 wrote:
Questions: IF This is the first time Tony's Original 2" Masters are being used, Why didn't he use them when he issued the film on DVD The Last Time?

I seem to remember him saying the exact same thing last time. He is a liar.

brainpang wrote:
Tricky. Wonder if Tony just went ahead and lifted his audio master off a store-bought Ryko cd?

Either that, or it will be a vinyl or cassette transfer, to avoid potential legal problems.

I really hope that someone puts a stop to this because the thought of Palmer making any more money off of something he has no rights to, or even respect for, makes me nauseous.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TwentySmallCigars
canada.gif
Post 2019-01-10 17:35   [Quote] 
You can put a stop to it. Don't send any money to his pledgemusic campaign.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2019-01-12 17:20   [Quote] 
TwentySmallCigars wrote:
You can put a stop to it. Don't send any money to his pledgemusic campaign.

Well, it's unaffordable for anyone who doesn't get paid in dollars, euros or pounds anyway...

Lestatkatt3
Post 2019-01-12 17:47   [Quote] 
OK . TONY responded to a handful of questions I inquired about on via the Pledgemusic website about the upcoming DVD release via email a couple of minutes ago!
I wanted to pass this along, as I know we ALL wanted this information. Check this out!:

Michael,
A lot of questions there !!
Briefly, the source material we will be using for the new DVD will be more or less the same as we used before (see below).
But don't forget the original was 2" analogue tape, and in 4:3 NTSC, the American line standard, all shot in 1970 !!!
It was transferred to film at that time, for the simple reason that no-one (i.e. no cinema) could show videotape, let alone in the US line standard.
And also videotape of that vintage was not thought to be stable, and how right was that suspicion (see below).
We did correct the aspect ration to 16:9 because a) wide screen did not exist in 1970; b) I'm sure we would have shot it in 16:9 had it existed; & c) that's what the distributors wanted.
So we've used the same source material, in spite of the tape being in increasingly poor condition.
But the technology has improved hugely in the last few years, so we are confident the end result will look better.
We'll stick to 16:9 for the reasons given above.
The concert DVD is a separate event disc. As far as we can tell, it is a concert given in Germany in 1974, but later 'edited' by Frank, and given to us by Frank's manager before he died.
As for BlueRay, if only..........But we would need to make huge sales to justify the cost of producing a Blu Ray.
Unless you're releasing Harry Potter, making Blu Rays is not really cost effective.
But go shout at the distributor; I'm on your side !!!
I hope this answers some of your questions.
TONY P

----

I think we may all be interested in the bonus DVD material? I think I'll probably wind up sticking to the Turner Broadcast when I personally want to watch the film. (sigh.)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2019-01-12 18:58   [Quote] 
Imagine if that '74 Germany footage is actually the Discreet Special, THE hologram source. Oh, Boy. Fruit fight!

ps thanks for posting all the info
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Lestatkatt3
Post 2019-01-12 20:06   [Quote] 
Re: The concert date. I wonder if Tony was actually referring to the German documentary broadcast on the Making of 200 Motels?

Otherwise I see these German shows listed from '70-'74 :

12-08-70, 11-23-71, 11-24-71, 8-28-73, 9-3-73, 9-5-73, 9-12-74, 9-14-74, 9-16-74

How many of these shows were filmed?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 3 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Collectors All times are GMT

Jump to: