Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Flac Files - Organizing and Playback  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
SingleMalt54
Post 2017-04-22 15:38   [Quote] 
I confess to using iTunes for my music library for the convenience it offers. For example, I can load up my 160GB iPod with tons of music to listen to in my car.

I get the whole "Flac is better than mp3" concept, but how do I migrate to something comparably convenient and with comparable storage space?

To be clear, should I head now in the Flac direction:
(a) what music program should I use to organize the flac files (it sure won't be iTunes, will it?)
(b) what portable flac player offers me the most storage so I can transfer from my laptop to the portable for playback in my car? Neil Young's Pono music player is all this dummy knows about.

thanks for your suggestions!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
TPS
Site Admin
scotland.gif
Post 2017-04-23 17:29   [Quote] 
The important thing really is storing your collection as flac. If it needs to be temporarily transcoded to something else to be able to listen to it on a certain device, that's okay.
These days, storage space should not be much of an issue.

I have my collection stored and organised on a Netgear NAS and run PLEX on the NAS to make it all available everywhere. A PLEX server can also run on Windows, Mac or Linux.

I can play anything on my iPhone or other devices whenever I want (about 300,000 tracks I think)
and the device app will tell the server what format to stream it to you in. If you are heading deep into a bunker, you can download what you need first.

I believe, if not already done, the google and amazon bricks you shout at will also be able to access a PLEX collection.

Clearly, organisation is key. As you can see from my phone screen, I have a couple of FZ libraries available, plus "Albums" which is of course the other 5000 non zappa albums in my collection.

Please support Zappateers.com

Chords that vibrate sweetest pleasure,
Thrill the deepest notes of wo.
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/TPSzappateer
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2017-04-23 17:52   [Quote] 
I completely agree with TPS, myself I'm using Subsonic Music Streamer to access my music library from any source.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
oofers
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2017-04-24 17:20   [Quote] 
BengoFury wrote:
I completely agree with TPS, myself I'm using Subsonic Music Streamer to access my music library from any source.

I was like the OP -- I had already backed up my music library to the cloud as flac (Amazon Drive), and had been looking for the best solution to listen to it anywhere. The Amazon app for accessing one's storage was not good for streaming.

Just wanted to vouch for BF's suggestion -- after seeing his post, I just installed Subsonic. It was easy to set up and works beautifully. $1 a month gets you your own URL for streaming purposes.

(Thanks BF)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
HKR01
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-08 18:27   [Quote] 
I'm with TPS regarding PLEX.

Have been leveraging it for a few years now. Put everything into it. It handles everything basically and is so convenient.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [Yahoo] 
HKR01
usa.gif
Post 2019-01-10 17:06   [Quote] 
I just checked out Subsonic's page. Following up after reading Plex announcement yesterday (1/9/2019) about their future intention to introduce paid content and their recent incorporation of Tidal, I may be looking for an alternative to Plex. Thanks BengoFury.

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: